StopDropRollChic

Showing English For The First Time

Hi guys, I'm trying to switch up my horse's discipline so he doesn't become barrel sour. He's got a decent working fancy trot, he can stretch low and slow. His jog is a little too fast for WP, so I'm converting him to english on the side.

I plan on showing at local shows in my area, some of which do go by dress code. I have a list of things to purchase this winter before next years show season kicks off. Let me know if this sounds about right as far as dress-code show clothing:

-Navy Show Coat

-White Long Sleeved English Collar Show Shirt (Can I pull it off with a short sleeve?)

-Tan Breeches

-Black Tall/Field Boots

-Black Velvet Show Helmet

-Black Grippy Gloves

My tack:

-Simple Dark Leather Show Bridle

-17 inch All Purpose Dark Brown Saddle

-Girth w/ White Fuzzy Cover over it(Can I pull this off? Or should I get a leather girth?)

-White Fuzzy Show Pad w/ number area

My gelding is a Paint with a long beautiful mane that falls passed his shoulder, I -in NO WAY want to cut it-...Can I leave it natural? Do I have to braid it back?

Thanks so much for the info!

Do you want to show hunter/jumper or HUS. There is a BIG difference between the two. It sounds like HUS from the low and slow I would guess HUS. The two are very different. HUS is the western type horse ridden in an english saddle, then there are hunters, jumpers, dressage, cross country and eventers. They all have good points and bad points, it just depends what you and your horse are best at. Your outfit sounds very nice and would be safe for HUS, hunters, or jumpers. It is very classic and proper. Your girth should be fine to start off at local shows, if you stick with it get a leather one. The white fuzzy ones are nice but show dirt easy and could make your horse sweat more. You have made really good picks with both your clothes and tack. It should look really classy! Now for the bad news :( If you want to be competitive the mane must go. HUS and hunters: 4 inches max and braid it anytime you are showing. Jumpers can be braided or left out but in the english disciplines a long mane like that looks very sloppy. It is all about looking workman like. Of course ask a trainer, but if there was a long mane like that at a show around here that horse would not place. If it is just for practice and you don't care how you do it will be ok though. Have a tough skin, those girls can snarky and mean and you may hear some comments, possibly to your face. I have seen fights start about a girls boots not being polished enough, or a un-fashionable jacket or saddle. Not trying to be mean, just give you the whole picture of what a big deal people may make of what seems like a little issue. Best wishes to you in your new adventure! I am starting my mare on barrels to keep her from getting jump sour this summer. I love paints, have two at the moment, they are just the best :)

Thanks for you reply! I'm 100% all about barrels, but a change of pace now and again would be nice. This is certainly not going to be my main discipline, but I thought it would be nice to do once in a while. I'm shooting for english pleasure, HUS could also work.

Your dress sounds good. You can pull off a short sleeved undershirt. Mine is a tank top, and it lookjs nice.

A 4-6 inch long mane is perferable, and looks the best, but I would at least braid your horse's mane. Maybe like a fishtail braid (Ive always wanted to do that, but Howie's mane just isnt long enough.) Fishtails just look so cool.

I ride English and it us sooo fun!! You will absolutely love it. Ok anyways, all the clothing sounds right andthe girth sounds fine and everything is good. For shows you will go to some that require braiding and some don't but I recommend braiding under all circumstances. Braiding tells the judge, " I prepared for this well and I am showing you respect and I am fully committed to the care, comfort, and beauty of my horse and myself as a rider.

Any questions? Just ask and I'll answer:)

Have fun and be safe:)

NWOhio Cowgirl:)

Congrats on deciding on having fun switching it up with your barrel horse. My barrel horse was originally my show horse(kinda) but after a few years of hauling pretty hard to races she started to get gate sour, going back and showing helped soo much. Sorry I cant be much of a help with your topic. Also if you are going to a schooling show with western horsemanship patterns or english obedience they were a ton of fun and really seemed to help my horse understand that she can do various things in the arena and be calm.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Don't cut the mane ever... but it should be pulled neat & tidy if you want to show. Braiding is optional unless attending a rated show.