Sign in to follow this  
Emminim

Christmas Present For My Little Sister

Well, I made the decision I've been wrestling with the past several weeks.

For the past year my younger sister (who turned 12 yesterday and is very responsible) has started accompanying me on my outings (every day, and since school started again this fall has been taking care of barn chores on days that I'm not at home).

I've watched her fall in love with my "secondary" horse, Bree (17 yrs old) and has started riding on her. I've owned Bree and her older "sister" for ten years. They're both great but it wasn't until I got Raj this summer that I realized Bree and I had never completed "clicked" with each other. Raj and I....were made for each other; and that doesn't even sound strong enough to describe how close we are.

I've looked at the possibility of taking her "shopping" for her own as she's proven she's more than able and responsible and has got the gene in her, but with the economy the way it is we can't/couldn't support another mouth, not to mention the pasture is stretched thin with the three of them now.

Then a couple weeks ago as I watched her leading Bree around, talking to her quietly and Bree curling her head around to nestle it against her chest, it kinda hit me like a wave. My sister loves that horse....(possibly more than I do? heh) and Bree is very fond of her.

Like I said, I've wrestled with the decision for a few weeks, going back and forth but yesterday I talked to my parents about it and come Christmas day I'll be passing Bree's reins on to her. I know I'm putting her in good hands...heck, I've been the one training and teaching her and still will be for many years to come!! ;P

anyways, that's my short little story I wanted to share with yall. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving and have a very merry Christmas!!

To not only see and recognize the connection between your sister and Bree, but to want to make it complete really shows what a big and unselfish heart you have. Neither of you will ever forget this very special Christmas! [Not Worthy]

To not only see and recognize the connection between your sister and Bree, but to want to make it complete really shows what a big and unselfish heart you have. Neither of you will ever forget this very special Christmas! [Not Worthy]

Thank you for your words! I like what you said; there is a connection between them and I hope that it can develop into what Raj and I have. This will be a Christmas to remember. I'm planning on wrapping up Bree's halter and saving it as the last present....in fact possibly even pulling it out when we're cleaning up the wrapping paper, almost as a "oh look, here's one that was forgotten" (being that our Christmas gathering will have 15 people at it, a present or two being forgotten tends to happen each year :P), what do you think?

i think that's the best idea ever!!! i always imagined a christmas like that...every litte girls dream. i'd love to see the look on her face that morning..it will probably turn out something like this....

YOU: *gives last gift**

SISTER: :thud:

ha ha ha. I'm sure there will be at least one camera out and I'll try to get pictures posted after. I always imagined a christmas/birthday like that too. My first horse was a surprise but not related to any holiday. I feel comfortable doing this because she loves Bree so much already that this just kind of completes it, so I don't have to worry about her and the horse "clashing" :P

Could you just blind fold her and take her to the barn? You could put a HUGE red bow on bree... Or have your mom or dad waiting outside with Bree?

Either way your an AWESOME big sister

Worded better than I ocould have done. You're a great sister [Not Worthy]

Oh I think you should definitely wrap the halter or something, maybe have tape on the halter that says something like "Merry Christmas x sister, Bree is yours". I would looooove to see that face LOL!

You are a great big sister and that will definitely be a Christmas you or her will NOT forget!

ohhhhh ohhhh OHHHHHHHH.... how early do you guys open gifts?

you could send her out to do the morning feedings and have the big red bow and a merry xmas sign......or later in the afternoon for mucking out the stalls...put a red bow on the poo pile or wheel barrow lol....gross but funny hahahahah. something my dad would totally do.

What I would do is not directly get her anything else (aka list everything else as from your parents, if you do get her other gifts) and then be like "oh yeah, oops, forgot" and just hand over Bree's bridle and tell her that she's taking Bree's reins from now on (much like you said in your original post).

I am jealous of your sister. I never got to experience something like that!

Amanda

Edited by xpasocorto

Your sister is going to cherish this Xmas forever! My Mom got me my horse Prancer and gave her to me Xmas Eve. At the time we had to board our horses and so she told me we had to go to the barn and pick up something. We pulled up to the barn owner's house first b/c she had what we needed, but we had to meet her in the barn. Then my mean ole parents made me get outta the car to go get it and when I walked in the barn she handed me the lead rope with a horse attached to it! I'll never forget it! I think letting her go to the barn and find the horse in a bow is a great idea!! Either way, you've made me cry. You are an awesome person to recognize the love your sister has for this horse and to give her the joy of horse ownership. Wow. You and your family are truly special!

What a wonderful thing you are doing and what a lucky sister you have!! It will be a Christmas she'll never forget for sure!

I love making wonderful surprises, so was having fun thinking of ways for you to do it as well.

This is a great idea!

I love

Just another idea. You could get a stall name plate made up with Bree's name and your sister named as owner....

The other options I was thinking of would be to get Bree a new leather halter with a brass name plate. You could do just one with the horse's name on it or add a second on the other cheek piece with your sister's.

Or, I ordered a beautiful halter, fairly cheap from somewhere for a friend one year. It was nylon with an overlay of a different color and you could choose the nylon colors and the stitching colors. I had her stallion's name put on across the nose band and her farm name (you could do your sister's) on one cheek piece. I'm sure I could find the site again if you are interested. They did a very nice job.

The cheapest option would be to either order a specialized tack "name tag" (people mostly use them at big barns to keep their tack straight) or just go to a pet store and get a round pet tag. You could have your sister's name put on that and attach it to Bree's bridle and wrap that. That would cost under $10.

Of course, really, when it comes down to it, it doesn't much matter how you do it. I'm sure she'll be overwhelmed with joy regardless. :happy0203:

Edited by ExtraHannah

Wow! thanks for all the suggestions! Now I don't know what to do!! :P ;)

I like the idea of the stall name plate, or a halter with the brass name plate, the only thing about the halter is that She's (her name is Abby, I realized I never actually named her in my original post! :P) been dying to buy Bree a new halter, has one picked out and everything, and I keep telling her "no, the one she has now is fine...it's just old and dirty so deal with it!".

I thought about buying the halter she wants to get her but I know how I felt when I bought the tack for MY first horse and how special that was...yes I still own the halter, it's in a bucket up in my room, worn through in a couple places!

I also really really love the idea of putting a big bow on her with a sign...that would just be so fantastic!!!

AHHH!!! At least I still have several weeks to decide! thanks everyone!

Your a great sister! Do you have a picture of them together? Maybe frame a good picture of them, wrap the halter in a box with it, and get a giftcard to the place she wants to buy the new halter from so she can get some tack for her new horse.

[Not Worthy] Fantastic!

You could put a picture of Bree in a frame and give that to your sister, on the card or whatever write "From me, to you." And see if she gets it.

[Not Worthy] Fantastic!

You could put a picture of Bree in a frame and give that to your sister, on the card or whatever write "From me, to you." And see if she gets it.

EXCELLENT Idea. I LOVE that idea. That would probably give more time for pictures too...because she probably wouldn't get it immediately...hahaha

What an awesome big sister you are [Huggy] I like the idea of giving her a picture of Bree and the "From me, to you" card...and a video camera so you can see that dawn on her face.

I got my first horse Christmas Eve. My dad told me we were getting a couple calves so I helped him fence and get ready for them...then continued to pester him about when they were coming. I'd gone riding with my friend a few weeks before and just loved the old mare they put me on, Dinah. Christmas Eve we could all open one present, and I opened a small box with a horse Xmas ornament that looked like Dinah, with a note that said "Catie, it's time to go get Dinah."

It is the most precious gift I have ever received and cried with joy...and haven't forgotten the tiniest detail of that day. Just know how much your little sister is going to appreciate this huge act of love

What a great idea! Your sister is going to be stunned and thrilled!

I was blessed one Christmas with special gift when I was seven years old.

My POA Feather was killed by an idiot on a motorcycle when being led home and I was devastated.

My parents wanted to buy a pony, but couldn't afford it since they had just purchased Feather.

Our next door neighbor's aunt had a newborn POA & Arab filly that she intended to keep as a cart pony. Instead, she allowed my parents to make payments until the filly was paid off.

On Christmas day the neighbors were supposed to have the filly in the barn with a big red bow on her. So when I fed the horses she would be waiting for me. The majority of my gifts under the tree would be for my pony.

No filly in the barn, so my mom hid the pony gifts fearing that something dreadful had happened, a second time. I was crushed when my only gifts were pjs, underwear and a sweater and I'd worked extra hard all year to be on Santa's Good List. While my bratty brother got boxes of toys.

Hours later, Nona came & knocked on the back door and asked to see me. Santa had made a mistake and placed my Christmas present in her yard. There with a huge red bow was my Dondie.

Her name in Spanish means "Where?" She lived up to her name that Christmas day, when my parents were frantically asking each other "Where is the pony?"

What an awesome big sis you are!

I got my first horse on Christmas when I was 12, I had been pestering my dad for a horse for a looong time, every time I asked for a horse he would give me an obstacle to overcome, first was,

Where will you keep one? we don't have a pasture, so I went and asked our next door neighbors if they would allow me to keep a horse on their empty lot and they agreed, then it was

What about a fence? I saved my allowance and bought a big spool of barbed wire(I know I know, barbed wire is evil) and my best friend helped my fence the entire acre lot from tree to tree, and there were a few t-posts already there as though it had been fenced once upon a time, when I showed my dad the fence work I could tell he was really proud of me, but he had more questions

What about feed? are you sure we can afford to feed a horse? Well I did some research and got out my handy calculator and figured out the annual cost to feed 1 horse compared to the annual feed cost for his 3 dogs (the dogs were more expensive)

his reply was, well I'll think about it...I thought I was never going to get a horse, I'll never forget that christmas, as I opened my presents there were grooming brushes, halter, leadrope and an old western saddle with a new blanket, you'll need these one day when you get your horse he told me and my hopes began to wane, then he told me I need to prove my responsibility and it was my job to feed the dogs so Id better go do it now, well I went out back to feed the dogs and there was my Diamond, waiting at the gate for me...I cried, I'll never forget that first ride, in all my new gear, it was the best Christmas Ive ever had to this day.

ha ha ha. Wow what an awesome sister. Your like me in a way for last christmas I gave my 12 yr old sister (then 11). My pinto Arabian, me and that horse did not click at all but I saw that my sister and her were falling in love with each other. I figured since my old girl passed away right before christmas and that was the horse she was riding (the one that passed away). I needed to give her one of her own without me having to ride her. Long story short Jaz (the pinto/arab) now belongs to my sister. And they are learning the ropes together.

I think if your sister and Bree really have clicked then give her the horse for christmas, she'll never forget it :)

That is just so great and awesome of you! I have also had a the dream of getting a horse for a christmas gift! she will be thrilled!

I like the idea of the picture, halter, or putting a big bow on Bree. All of those are really great! I see people a lot putting bows on the horses when they give them as gifts =)

I am REALLY enjoying these stories about getting a horse for Christmas. I did not have the wonderful experience and had to wait until I had my own place, but these stories bring a tear to my eye!

Thanks everyone for your words and ideas! I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, next week is finals and so I have been loaded down with classwork (go figure). It is great to read all these stories and suggestions. I have so many ideas rolling around in my head right now that I'm really not sure! LOL.

thanks again everyone!

I really love the idea of the picture, the look on her face will be priceless when what's happening dawns on her! Then you could hand her the halter to her 'knew' horse! :happy0203:

These stories are so awesome! They bring tears to my eyes. I think what you are doing is sooo great! You are an awesome sister.

My first horse wasn't during Christmas and I had been saving up my money and had been spending endless hours and summers doing free labor for a local horse stable and also a local Trail Riding place. But I cannot tell you the feeling I got when my mom told me on the way to see (Now this will date me) the Lord of the Rings first movie just out in theaters, that she had a friend from work who had a black arabian gelding and if I liked him I could buy him. I could have a horse! I was just elated I sat through the whole very long movie barely able to contain myself! I don't think I even watched it, I just day dreamed about this gelding that I could buy, heck I couldn't believe I could get a horse. I will never forget the feeling. I just hope I can do that for someone else, maybe if I'm lucky (and my daughter ends up loving horses) I can do that for my daughter when she is old enough.

Again you are an awesome sister, no matter which way you present her with that beautiful gift she will always remember it!

You're awesome Emm!

I can't wait for your final decision on how to give Bree to Abby.

SOOO looking forward to pictures!

My neice's name is also Abby. Shes only one, but I plan on giving her my coming 4 year old mustang. He goes to the trainers in the spring, and will be well seasoned by the time I'm ready to teach her how to ride. I dont know how I'll "give" him to her, as they live 3+ hours North. I think the essence of him being "hers" will be good enough for me. All monetary, and conditioning will still be my responsibility.

Well, I think I've made the decision, I think I'm going to wrap up Bree's halter. I'm still rolling around the idea of bringing Bree up to the house with a big red bow (Everyone wants to see the look on her face so it's not really workable for the whole family to go down to the barn because then she'll know!) after we open presents and she's busy with everything she's got...either or. But!!! I'm soooooo excited. She has absolutely no clue....nevermind the fact that I've had to tell her a little white lie or two :P The other day she asked (again) when I thought she'd be able to get a horse and I told her (a little snippy) that she still had a lot of responsibility she needed to prove and that it would still be a while, but now was when she had to show mom and dad that she was responsible enough, not a month before she got a horse etc. I'm excited!!! Merry Christmas everyone!