Sign in to follow this  
mehpenn

What's Your Primary Riding Style?

I grew up riding western, but I do enjoy riding english every once in a while.

Most of the time I still ride western though, as that's what most others around here ride, especially on the trails.

Just curious which riding style you prefer? And why?

I find myself riding "Weslish". There are aspects of both riding styles that I take, and have kind of incoporated them together into my own riding style. I like western saddles, and I also enjoy the more laid-back style of riding that goes along with western riding. But I also really love the way English riders keep their hands low, back straight, heels down and just have a nice posture overall. The less visible your cues are, the better in my opinion as well.

I guess all-in-all I simply ride like "me" and I'm pretty comfortable with that :)

Me riding "Weslish" and lovng every minute of it:

meandsky2.jpg

Typically I ride Bareback, yes it is a sytle of riding [Crazy] [Crazy]

Ginger is trained as an all-rounder, and I while I like riding both styles, nothing beats riding barebacka and bridleless.

I ride western. But then again, I have never tried English. I would love to give it a whirl someday though! Dressage looks fun and it would be neat to take lessons.

Western. Mostly because most of the stuff I ride or do...a western saddle is required (team roping...) I grew up with it and I feel safe riding 2-4 year old horses in a western saddle...something about the swells, horn and deep seats.

Also, rollin, your "Weslish" style is also what I tend to do. Although I've never rode english in my life. I ride with my hand low (unless working cows or roping and such...) with the heels down and straight back... I want to learn some English as well.

But, also, bareback is very tempting to do...but I wouldn't dare turn my mare loose on a cow bareback. She almost looses me when I'm in the saddle at times.

This is how I tend to ride while doing some training work or whatever...heh

6ru0iu.jpg

Edited by QHriderKE

Bareback, but when I need the saddle, it's an Australian saddle.

I would love to try an english saddle someday, I think it might be a nice fit for me

Western.

Just more comfortable to me...

And to Rollin: That paint in your siggy is TO DIE FOR!!!!

Thank you so much! I just love Tuff, he's my baby. He just turned 2 in October. I'm such a proud momma!

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

I ride in a treeless endurance saddle - more western than english in terms of appearance, but I think my riding is more english that western. I also ride bitless and barefoot, but that's what works for my horses, not some all encompassing philosophy (but it's easy, which works with my very lazy personality).

I started out Western on my first horse, hunt seat with my Thoroughbred. Changed to saddle seat with my Morgan, also sat behind him when I drove him. In later years with my Morgan I changed to Western. With the mare I have now it's Western also.

:grin: Love what ROLLIN said - "Weslish" - TOO CUTE!!! And Tuff --TOO CUTE - WOW!!!

I ride the trails all over South Carolina. I use a Western saddle. I learned to ride English and I think that did help my riding - balance and body position.

As of right now, I'm doing mainly hunters (so English ;) ). Tori has chosen that she wants to be a hunter. I really want to show in the jumpers though. I was riding dressage a ton with Ocean.. And Tori just isn't a dressage horse so my dressage saddle has been sitting since September :(

PM Eventer - what kind of saddle are you riding in? It looks Really nice.

I'm an English gal, myself. Mainly because jumping is my addiction. When trail riding, there are far too many downed trees and other obstacles to tempt me to jump...so I can't ride trail in a western...well, I could, but that's not very nice to the horse, or my gut.

I'm mainly English- jumping, eventing, dressage. But my mare isn't a fan of jumping or dressage, she's actually showing some promising signs to become a reiner and/or gaming horse. So I think we're going to make the western switch over the winter. Someday I'll be able to get a second horse that I can event with, but right now I just want to have fun with my mare. We also love bareback in the winter and trails.