Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

Nevada Ppl Please Help! I Have Questions.

For the past year or so my husband has been working in Las Vegas, flying home every 6-8 weeks or so only to turn around and have to fly back for work. This arrangement has really sucked if I can be so blunt.

So he's talking about moving us there and let's just say...... I visited vegas, drove around, stopped by and visited Pawn Stars, met Michael Jackson (a few months ago, that is) and all that was fun and I kept myself entertained.... BUT IT'S ALL JUST DIRT. All I saw when I was driving around was DIRT.

Perhaps Oklahoma has spoiled me a bit with our lush green prairies, but I can handle a pasture that perhaps doesn't have an abundance of grass. But DIRT??

Okay sorry for the complaining and I am pretty sure I've gotten it all out of my system for now, but please answer some questions for me.

How much do you have to spend on Hay out there?

Is Metamucil and/or Sand Clear a staple supplement in their diet?

Are their hooves needing conditioner quite often?

Are there any places within a 2-3 hour radius of Las Vegas that has grass and horse pastures?

Please give me the real inside scoop on what it's like to keep a horse in the Las Vegas area. Perhaps my initial impression of the overall environment is a bit skewed. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Hello from Las Vegas!!

Logandale is about a 45 minute drive from the city and you can find plenty of places with small pastures there so that may be a good option if pasture is something you want. In the city you pretty much get stalls, dirt turnouts, arena, etc.. We do feed sand clear regularly and we are currently paying about $240/ton for an orchard grass and depending on who you go to $200-$220 for alfalfa. Timothy is usually over the $300/ton mark. Per bale ranges from $9-$23/bale depending on what you want. Their feet tend to adapt IMO. I don't have alot of problems with them being overly dry.

If you have any other questions let me know :) We have a boarding facility here and we are very active in the horse world.

Oh and on the plus side we do have lots of horse stuff to do whether you do mounted shooting, trail riding, rodeo, show, etc.. Theres always something going on! We also have the South Point now and they usually have big events year round AND we get Cowboy Xmas which is always fun!!

Thanks for your reply! Can you give me an idea on what it would cost to board and maintain 2 horses per month there? What's the average monthly cost? Thanks again!

Just to give you an idea..

Our barn: Nice roomy box stalls with runs, auto water, daily cleaning, 2-3 times daily feeding depending on owners request, full use of facilities that include nice size arena, roundpen (both lighted with sprinklers and maintained), turnout, secure tack storage, wash rack, hitching post, we are within riding distance to public horse park and trails.. We start at $300/mo for full care

Father In Laws barn: 20x20 outdoor stalls with I believe about 8'x5' shades, hitching post, tack room, kind of an arena, and small roundpen with minimal lighting on the property. $185/mo including feed 2 times daily and bi-weekly cleaning.

On average you will be paying $250/mo per horse+ for a mare motel type stall. Barn stalls are usually $350 and up, stalls at the "big barns" are usually $500 and up.

Also, farriers vary depending on who you use but a trim is $35-$50, half sets are $65-$100, Full Set is $85-$150.. Of course specialty stuff is more..

Those rates don't seem too bad. Thank you for giving me a general idea of what the prices are in your area. Does that include hay? Also, how much turn-out do the horses get?

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Hi,

Those rates include hay. Usually most places do turnout 1-2 weekly included in the price and thats only for a couple hours. We do overnight turnout and rotate horses..

Thanks again so much for giving me an idea on what to expect out that way. When do you normally ride? I know the summer months are ridiculously hot. So do you normally ride more in the spring/fall? Do most horses have to remain shod for the rocky trails? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, LOL!

Desert areas cool down quickly in the evening and through the night.

In the summer you ride early in the morning and after five or six pm in the evening. Late night riding in the dark on the flat trails is fun too.

Mosquitoes fewer in the morning & night then you are used to in humid climates. Away from winter creeks or summer sprinklers you rarely see them.

When you hose down your horse it cools it down, unlike humid areas where it just gets wetter.

We ride year round. Its usually pretty nice during summer evenings or mornings like stated above. Most places around here are lighted for that purpose. We have little to no mesquitos or wierd bugs for that fact. We also only have to worm 2-3 times yearly as there are fewer parasites due to the dryer climate. Overall this town is alot bigger and nicer horsewise then most people think!

As far as shoes it depends on where you trail ride. I have friends that do the barefoot thing and use boots if they go somewhere real rocky. I also have people that just shoe religiously and just ride in the arena lol