Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfish

Getting A New Saddle...

I'm looking to find an inexpensive english saddle so I can get back into english riding and get my horse going english too. However, I know little to nothing about quality and brands in english saddles...I know that because i'm looking for something seriously inexpensive i'm going to run into a lot of poor-quality products.

Now, I'm not looking for anything fancy...I know that at my budget I'm not going to get a masterpiece. But i want something that at the very least will not hurt my horse or myself, will fit my horse, and will not deteriorate within like a month of use. As long as it's safe and not going to hurt anyone involved I'm alright with it...i don't need anything special. It's not going to be my primary riding style...at least not for a while.

So what brands should I avoid, and what brands should I look for? Is there anything I can look at or ask about in, for example, an ebay listing that can hint as to what quality the saddle is? Where is the best place to find an english saddle for really cheap?

Depends on how cheap.

For $250-$300 look for a well used Crosby Prix De Nations or an old Beval Devon. They'll both look a lot like the saddle in the leather therapy add that runs on here all the time with a pretty flat seat and plan flap. They're super starter saddles that will help you build strength in your position without any issues where you'll fight the saddle to be balanced.

AVOID anything without a brand name. Anything lacking a brand name for really cheap is most likely indian-made and not going to fit or balance for anything.

Edited by SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

At my barn all we have are Merlins!!! We have nine saddles that are used for all the horses. We have all different sizes. Very very very VERY good brand saddles!! Comfy and I love them. Have about thirty horses and have had the saddles for about five years now and still look and feel great! Very comfy for the horses too!!!! GO MERLINS!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! ;)

Any questions? Just ask!

Have fun and be safe!

NWOhio Cowgirl:)

I really, really love my HDR. I don't know what you consider to be inexpensive... I paid around 1,100 for mine. They also have the advantage line which is considerably cheaper, not sure of the leather quality though. Have you considered buying used?