drama4ellen@yahoo.com

Sarcoid Question- Would You Buy This Horse?

Hi all,

So, we have been leasing a horse for the past year and a few months after getting it here he developed sarcoids. The sarcoids are on a sensitive spot, directly on his anus. It doesn't interfere with him going to the bathroom and our vet has looked at it. We love this horse and the time to either buy him or give him back is coming up soon. My question is, do sarcoids have to be treated or are they merely a cosmetic issue? We have been involved with and owned a variety of horses for the last ten years but have never had one with sarcoids. Obviously the spot they are in would be extremely difficult to treat and our vet told us he would have to be put completely out before he would be able to work on them. Thanks for your advice!

beside the spot makes them hard to work on what does the vet say??

Have they gotten bigger or do they interfer in anyway his quality of life??

Hi, this is the OP on this topic. I couldn't get my account to work last night so had to post under a different user name.

The horse is buckskin. At first our vet thought it was melanomas. After we got him sedated for a float he looked at them more closely and said they looked like warts or sarcoids, not melanomas. He picked them all off and said if they grow back they are sarcoids, if not they are warts. They have grown back. They don't interfere with him at all. I would not think they would grow over him enough to interfere with going to the bathroom with the amount of times a horse defecates in a day. Obviously they are in a touchy place to treat and he definitely doesn't like us messing around back there!

We've had 2 horses with sarcoids. There are different types, some more dangerous than others, and apparently some kinds can be catching. One of ours got hers removed, and promptly grew back again. And continued to grow, to the size of a cricket ball. We had to put her down. On the other mare it grew & grew (on her cheek) for about 10 years, it was getting close to her eye & I was getting worried. We tried everything to get rid of it/slow it down. Then all of a sudden, when she was about 18, I moved her back down the coast to where she had grown up, and within 2 months it was completely gone. No explanation for it, no treatment, nothing. One of life's little mysteries!

Good luck with your boy!

Zoe :)

I have a friend whose very expensive QH has sarcoids ALL OVER her. She only had one to start, they had it cut off and the thing just took off. I did a bit of checking out for them and it seems that sometimes the thing to do is just leave them... wait and see if it does anything. It is really easy to turn an inactive sarcoid into a really aggressive one. My friends now can't ride their mare as one of the new sarcoids is on her girth, and its about 6inches accross. Big money... on the horse and on the treatment!

My filly has a tiny sarcoid, not in any place that is an issue with gear etc, and it just came out of nowhere. I am going to leave it alone and add some herbs to her diet, see what happens. I think the story with removing anything is that you have to get it ALL off. If you don't... mmm dramas!

My horse has had a few sarcoids. One was on his face and thankfully didn't spread and hair grew back but he has a large spot on his left hind that is bald where they used to be. Luckily his leg is dark and you can't really tell.

We got very lucky that our plan of action worked. I believe we used a steroid cream but as his last sarcoid was over a few years ago I'll have to check Into it.

It really depends on the horse and how aggressive the situation is!

Good luck!

At the very least, I would think that the growths should be biopsied, and not just diagnosed by visual, plus, even if just sarcoids versus melanoma, you would be able to see how invasive the cells were

Sarcoids can become more towards being malignant, locally, instead of just staying benign

We had a young stallion that developed a sarcoid on his front fetlock. It was treated several times, plus excised, and came back worse each time, until we put him down after one breeding season

All the mares also came up open that year.

I believe he had a fibroblastic sarcoid, as it formed in a previous wound area, plus had proud flesh mixed in with the sarcoid

www.localriding.com/horse-sarcoids.html

Thank you, Smilie. That was helpful. This sarcoid does seem pretty aggressive. I am pretty sure we are not going to be keeping him. Lots of nice horses out there for good prices and I have a feeling we would regret keeping him.

I just put my horse down because of a sarcoid tumor that ulcerated and went fibroblastic. It ended up being the size of a small watermelon.

After that horrible experience, I would never buy a horse with a sarcoid. The tiniest thing can irrtate it and make it grow. When they're small there are some things that you can do to remove them, but nothing is a sure thing.

Farm Mom, you're doing the right thing.

Edited by AllykatD

A horse on a farm I lived on had bad sacroids in a few places. One being about the size of a football on her girth. They ended up putting her down earlier last year after she aborted twins and found many tumors inside her. It was sad.

My mare had a tiny spot on her cheek when I bought her which grew to the size of a dime. I ignored it other than to put vit E oil on it to keep it moist. It very gradually disappeared over the next 6 years - leaving just a pea sized bare spot which was really not noticeable. I guess we got lucky or maybe it was a wart? I researched sarcoids which was why I didn't mess with it. Frankly I knew nothing about sarcoids when I bought her and was very worried when I found the information about the possibilities.

There are so many nice horses out there without this particular worry!

The last place I worked at had a grey mare with a few sarcoids. I was in the proccess of training her when she developed on in the area where the cinch goes.(Obviously the saddle part of training was put on hold) They had the vet out, He gave us a medication for sarcoids, I put it on once a day for 1wk. It did go away, we had to treat it a couple of different times, but it did go away. I have this mare's momma, who is grey, she has a few small ones but has had them for yrs. & they haven't changed so I leave them alone.

The daughter- I see having problems with them the rest of her life, going by her history

The momma- she's not having problems.

So you just never know, I don't blame you though for not wanting to risk it. I just thought I'd let you know my experience with them.

Does your vet recommend buying the horse? Did he/she recommend a treatment plan? That's the best place to start because that's who examined the horse. Next, if cvm2002 comes back, she's vet and might be able to give you some advice.

I would decide based on your budget and the treatment plan. Decide how far you can afford to go and if you think you could provide a better home than the current owner. It's hard when you love a horse but doing the best thing for them is really the kindest decision. If you have more resources than the current owner and you're willing to take on the challenge, God bless you both and may you have many happy rides. If not, don't feel bad because you're doing what's best for the horse.

BTW, there are very few perfect horses. I don't think I've ever met one and I know I've never owned one. :tongue9:

I had a horse years ago that had a sarcoid on his face. I used a herbal supplement called Nublada's Formula from Earth Angel Herbs. It made the sarcoid shrink up and disapear. My friend had a gray quarter horse that started developing them on his legs and barrel. She was worried that he would develop them in problem areas like his girth, so she started him on Xterra and he got so she couldn't even catch him. he was a bloody oozing mess. She was ready to give up and send him through the sale, so I convinced her to use this stuff. She used it for a month, but couldn't afford to use it for longer. In one month, all of the large sarcoids were half the size, and some of the smaller ones had shriveled up and were gone. They continued to shrink, even after she quit feeding it.

Mia's Mom - "My mare had a tiny spot on her cheek when I bought her which grew to the size of a dime. I ignored it other than to put vit E oil on it to keep it moist. It very gradually disappeared over the next 6 years - leaving just a pea sized bare spot which was really not noticeable."

Maybe the Vitamin E helped your mares immune system fight it off??

I found this

vit E study

where someone did an experiment and patented the results. towards the bottom in the results it mentions they found some anti viral activity.

Edited by merlin3