Sign in to follow this  
SST

Post Op Neuter

Did the vet not give him a post op pain shot and no pain meds? Depending on what they use, the post op pain shot should last 24 hours or more and then I had liquid pain meds to give at lunch time the next 2 days.

I would call the vet and get something from them. You can give a dog aspirin but I would rather you call the vet and get something from them.

NO! Tylenol and Advil are toxic for dogs.

Aspirin can be okay, but you need to check with the vet first.

Edited by Kina Kat

Tylenol is toxic to dogs.. so stay away from that.

You can give him a baby asprin should be fine. But as always, call your vet to make sure it's okay and the correct dose.

The vet didn't give you anything to give him? When we got Freddie done, the vet gave us 4 small syringes with pain meds to give him once daily. I'd go back to the vet and get something from them.

The vet didn't give you anything to give him? When we got Freddie done, the vet gave us 4 small syringes with pain meds to give him once daily. I'd go back to the vet and get something from them.

Ditto this, we're always sent home with some Tramadol after a surgery.

Edited by VAQHMA

He should have gotten a 24 hour pain injection after the surgery. If he is very painful still, contact your vet. I work at a vet's at home, and after neuters we would usually send home Metacam. It's a liquid pain medication, very easy to dose and dispense.

What kind of dog/how big is he?

Aspirin is really the only kind of human pain medication that you could give to your dog. Still contact your vet first. They should be able to give you a dog-safe medicine for him.