Sign in to follow this  
Foxyness19

Anal Glands In Dogs

I have a spayed six month old hound that I took in as a rescue when she was very young. For the last two weeks her rear end has smelled terrible (like poop). We kept giving her baths thinking she rolled in poo, but finally realized it was probably coming from anal liquid secreting from her bum. Yesterday she had blood spots on her bum, and I think its due to her anal sacs rupturing.

After doing some research, it says you can express the anal glands by massaging externally around the anus at 4oclock and 8oclock points. It says it is not uncommon, and it can be treated at home. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything else that I should be doing to treat this ie. A diet change, a colon flush, antibiotics etc?

we are traveling for the holidays and if needed can take her to a vet to get antibiotics, but I would really like to save the office fee if I can unless its necessary, and I get her to a vet back home.

Edited by Jocelyn

I do anal glands almost daily since I am a dog groomer....lol.

If you dog is just stinky or oozing brownish liquid from the anus then my advice is call around to local groom shops and see if they do it as a stand alone service.

It is a stinky nasty job..... BTW

If you have blood or swelling go to the vet asap.

If there's blood, I'd see a vet. Dogs can have serious issues with their anal glands.

I also used to be a groomer, and emptying the anal glands is for sure the best part....LOL.

I think diet plays a big part in it as well, but I do notice little dogs often had clogged glands more than the big ones.

She is on a purina puppy chow. I am trying to keep it as affordable as possible to have her as a rescue, but if you recommend switching to a different food I can try that. Any recommendations for me? I will schedule an appointment to take her to the vet, we just moved to a different state, any advice or websites to find a new vet? I've been using the same one for years!

There is a really good instructional video on Youtube. I used to have a link to it, but looking through my bookmarks it looks like I no longer have it. Probably decided it was something I'd much rather pay a vet to do! (no groomers in our town)

LOL, yea. "Expressing Anal Glands" is almost as bad as sheath cleaning on a horse, as far as the smell. REALLY sux when you get it in your eye. The FUN part of being a dog groomer, a RIGHT handed dog groomer, is re-learning how to do it left handed after a partial right index finger amputation... (Hence the eye comment! :thud: )

There are 2 ways to do it, the "outer" massage method, & the gloved hand/Vaseline-or-other-assorted-lube inserted rectally to "pop the grape" method. Either way, use a paper towel to "catch" it, so it doesn't spray all over. Trust me. It's rank. The outer method is what I teach my clients to do at home, if they have a dog with issues. I prefer the other way, as I feel it empties them more completely.

But yes, blood is bad, go to a vet.

If it is a puppy and she has blood....get to the vet...worms, tapeworms or parvo...I would go there first.

anal glands not so much.....

Youth, breed, size and all that makes for least likely anal gland trouble. Plus, if it is a rupture...you would have had a balloon there first...that would have been noticed before the smell and blood...and...you don't wanna go squeezing if it is a blocked gland or a busted one. So ....

She needs to be seen by a vet no matter how you look at it.....may be time for different food too...puppy chow may be upsetting her tummy...too big for it....some tummies just grow up sooner...larger dogs mainly. But, this goes back to the vet...they should be handling this one. [Huggy]

It could be anal glands. Sometimes puppies have soft poo, which won't 'squeeze' the anal glands as much as a harder poo would. Most dogs with normal hard poo will empty their anal glands on their own with each bowel movement. It's the dogs with looser stools that will have a problem, as their sacs won't be emptied normally.

It could be worms as well, if there is blood involved. Has she ever had a fecal test done? It would be a good idea for that to be done just as a precaution. Pups can sometimes pick up some nasty things.

Our year and half old lab was licking his behind a lot, so we took him to the vet, and his glands needed expressing. I've never had a dog need that, so it was new to me. They explained about the soft poo, etc.

He is licking back there again a few times today, I sure hope he doesn't need expressing again! I'll learn to do it myself if he's going to be a....um... frequent flier. So to speak.

Or, maybe a groomer would charge less than a vet? I might check that option out, too.

For some reason what Draft Horse posted reminded me of something else.

With anal glands, if you have a dog that experienced a prolonged bout of soft stools like diarrhea, the anal glands can loose 'strength' and might still have to be expressed a few times in a row, over a period of several weeks, even after the dog goes back to normal stools.

A higher-fiber diet might help the dog produce harder stools. I'm sure whichever vet you visit can give you the best idea of what to do, if they think it will become a recurring problem.

There are some cases where the anal sacs are removed. I've never watched the surgery before, so I can't tell you what it involves, but it is saved for animals that have consistent impactions, infections, etc. Basically a last ditch effort.

My beagle had the worst anal gland issues. Oh my god, it was awful. He'd need them done every two weeks and the cost really adds up. The vet said hounds tend to have more issues with them. We finally had them surgically removed. Best $500 ever spent. He ruined a $600 down comforter with his leaky glands and a very nice sofa, now they are gone and we don't have to worry anymore.

Or, maybe a groomer would charge less than a vet? I might check that option out, too.

We charge $5 as a stand alone service..... It is free with a full service bath or groom.

So yep much cheaper than the vet. I prefer to express anals with a bath. But we will only do external for liability and state regs about practicing vet medicine without a license stuff.