Sign in to follow this  
Bennysmith

What Are Fun Horse Games You Can Play With Your Horse?

You can try obstacle courses. I've set groundpoles up in the shape of an "L" and backed through them and then walked forward out of them. You can also set up small jumps and trot your horse over them (from the ground) you can also teach them to bow and stretch. I'll look for the link i posted about training your horse to bow... :smilie:

i like to play with my horse too. ive thought about teaching him the hokey pokey. [Jump] i havent tried yet, but will hopefully do it soon. also, i want to teach him to bow, rear on command, etc. maybe some of those...? he already knows how to kiss me. its sweet and an easy trick.

There are so many games that I play with Ginger, there are too many to list, a lot of them also help with manners too.

Stick-to-Me: a game played at liberty that teaches the horse to willingly stay at or shoulder and move at the same pace and to the same places that you do. It is a good confidence builder for many horses.

"The Cutting Game": basically cutting where you or an object are the cow, it is a high energy game that horses that want to go go go have fun with while working on their focus and agility.

"Mirror Me": a game where the horse mimics exactly what the handler is doing, close range or distance. I love working with this game a close range in the beginning and working my way further away.

Then like the other people have said, working with obstacles like tarps, pedestals, ground poles, low jumps, and setting up obstacle courses. I like doing obstacle courses while playing either stick to me or mirror me.

Other than that I have taught Ginger to rear on command, bow, and am working on the lay down.

However, my favorite game is "undemanding time" just going out into the pasture and not asking anything of Ginger, but just letting things be and see what happens, no ropes, whips, or anything, just me and the horse.