Sign in to follow this  
bradshaw.jenn

Older Mare, Strange Happening

Hi. I am new here and thought I would post this question. My daughter's 16-17 year old Qh mare has recently started letting her tongue hang out after taking a drink. It's pretty strange. She lets it stick out about 4 inches or so while standing over the tank after drinking. She had her teeth floated last summer and gives no indication of any pain, and is in fact her usual spunky self. It's just odd. I have looked in her mouth and seen nothing off but I'm no vet either. Anybody seen this before?

I've seen my own horses do it from time to time. Doubt it's anything to worry about. I think they sometimes keep their tongue out while they are swallowing, kinda sucking the water down if you know what I mean.

Does the horse do it every time after they eat it could mean there are some hooks or similar back in the back of the mouth or pouches of food getting stuck. The horse is trying to rinse the mouth out and move the tongue around the get food unstuck.

If it's been a year it's about a time for a vet to recheck the horses mouth anyway. I'd do it.

Could be nothing, might be something.

Not all tooth floats are created equally..Id guess possible rear hooks which are the hardest to correct as there is no space back there.

My daughter's horse sucks his tongue. After he drinks, after he eats his grain and after he gets a treat. I have never seen anything like it before. He sticks his tongue out about an inch or so and you can hear him and see him sucking on it. We have pictures because I've never seen it before and figured people wouldn't believe me. Makes us laugh when he does it...

Is her tongue hanging out or does it look like she has it stuck out and holding the water in her mouth?

My old appy would do that in the winter to hold the water in his mouth till it was warmer, then swallow it.

Edited by BB Blue