Sign in to follow this  
jnr_equine89

Color Coordinating

Is it common practice amongst the English world to color coordinate apparel with the saddle?

I'm going to start showing english with my horse, and I feel like her being red dun...the brown saddle looks like it blends too much. I was going to get a black saddle & bridle and thought it would look nice. But it's kind of hard to find black saddles that I like ( and can afford lol). I was looking at the horseloverz & horse.com catalogs and there are black options, but I heard not to get the wintec/equiroyal/silverfox. I found some nicer brands on ebay....but they are all brown. Any input on how it would look with a brown saddle and me wearing the black boots & coat? Also, any recommendations on some good starter saddles?

maggie_english.jpg

Thanks

Even some Olympic dressage riders have brown tack. It's actually more traditional... some 25 years ago brown was the standard. As leather dyes and tanning processes became more advanced it was possible to dye leather black and not have it fade green or grey.

dd_19990504.jpg

This photo showcases some less than stellar riding on my part, but you can see the color of my bridles, martingale/brestcollar, girth and saddle. On my plain bay horse.

60041_1468135785460_1295520043_31447106_5098999_n.jpg

With english riding tack is very understated, and you don't want it to stand out. Your well-trained, well-turned out horse and riding should be what draws attention to your performance.

The only style thing to think about is that your saddle, bridle and girth be roughly the same shade of brown. In the rated open hunter/jumper circuits darker is always better than light tack. Light tack is just a clear "this is brand-new and not broken in" most of the time. The only real exception for that is saddles that have cream or white trim or contrasting seat and knee roll leather.

Edit: The only things that are normally back are the rider's boots, hat/helmet and gloves in hunter/jumper (navy jacket is most traditional there) and in dressage a black coat too.

Edited by SmileItLooksGoodOnYou

" With english riding tack is very understated, and you don't want it to stand out. Your well-trained, well-turned out horse and riding should be what draws attention to your performance.

The only style thing to think about is that your saddle, bridle and girth be roughly the same shade of brown. In the rated open hunter/jumper circuits darker is always better than light tack. Light tack is just a clear "this is brand-new and not broken in" most of the time. The only real exception for that is saddles that have cream or white trim or contrasting seat and knee roll leather.

Edit: The only things that are normally back are the rider's boots, hat/helmet and gloves in hunter/jumper (navy jacket is most traditional there) and in dressage a black coat too. "

Smile,

Exactly!

Just a tip.... Stick with brown in the H/J ring and black in the Dressage ring. In the H/J ring you want a shaped

Dressage ring you want a square pad. Tradition and discipline is key. You want to dres yourself and your horse conservatively.

Your horse needs to be groomed spotless and every hair needs to be in place

Also your saddle pad is WAY to big for your saddle and your leathers need to be trimmed shorter. Actually your saddle seems to big for you as well..... Your bridle is very nice Your reins need to be collected a bit more. You always want contact. And your feet are a touch too deep in the stirrups. You want them just at the balls of your feet. You want to look tidy and professional ... evevn if something is trendy or getting trendy stay with the conservative look. Pick up a couple Practical Horseman Magazines they will help a lot!

Hope this helps! Other than all of that just relax, smile, and have fun!

Hey I would just stick with brown tack. Make sure all the tack is the same shade of brown. It has nothing to do with the color of your horse. I ride English and do hunter jumper type training and the judge looks at your performance and the horses performance. The judge pays no attention to the color of tack but o would recommend darker brown tack because lighter brown tack says that you haven't broke in the saddle and your not committed to the sport. For all they know someone else could ride and train ur horse and you just show. Riding takes commitment and a lot of it. ;)

Any questions? Just ask!

Have fun and be safe!

NWOhio Cowgirl:)