Katie Schuur

People I Am Boarding My Horses With Move Away

OMG!!

Thats ridiculous, Rollin. I'm happy they were confirmed to be your boys... I can imagine how angry you are. I can't believe people can be so horrible. I'm crossing my fingers you find a wonderful new place for them. [Huggy]

I'm so sorry your having to go through this I can only imagine how fumingly mad I would be. I know how upsetting it can be worrying about your animals while your away on vacation.

Travel safe and good luck finding a new boarding situation!

Okay I JUST got home tonight, and I am happy to report my boys are doing well. I left early yesterday morning, drove 9 hours to Albuquerque, and left Albuquerque early this morning to drive the remaining 9 1/2 hours home to arrive here tonight. I am beat...

If I had flown to vegas, I would have certainly been able to rearrange some flight plans, but since I had originally driven there it really wasn't as simple as that... I LOVE my horses and I would do anything for them, but I had to wait one day after hearing the news in order to leave because I had some unfinished business with my husband that HAD to be taken care of prior to my coming back. And to be honest - I certainly would have never imagined in a million years that something like this would have happened.

Currently, my boys are blanketed with a full water trough, a large fresh round bale to munch on, and they had gobbled up their grain. I can sleep easy tonight knowing they both look no worse for wear, thank the lord!!!

Now onto the next task of finding another place to board ASAP..

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

I am so glad you made it back safely. I can bet you were probably doing a little over the posted speed limits to get home since you were by yourself. Glad the horses were ok. So did the landowner put out the bale of hay or did the renters? I would have offered to go check on them for you if I lived closer. Don't know where Morrison is from Wichita.

I am so glad you made it back safely. I can bet you were probably doing a little over the posted speed limits to get home since you were by yourself. Glad the horses were ok. So did the landowner put out the bale of hay or did the renters? I would have offered to go check on them for you if I lived closer. Don't know where Morrison is from Wichita.

If you're in Wichita, you are about 2 - 2 1/2 hours away :) As far as the hay goes, the land owner and I had arranged for it to be delivered yesterday through some wheelin and dealin' over the phone while I was driving. He really has been very accommodating, which made me feel a bit better. I still wouldn't have been 100% okay until I saw my horses with my own two eyes, but when I arrived at the barn tonight he already had them blanketed and they were eating the round bale. All-in-all, the land owner really did seem to go above and beyond in this situation. Thank goodness for him!!!

Oh and p.s.: As far as the speed limit thing goes, I may have to take that info with me to the grave, LOL!

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

I should have asked you where it was in my first post. I thought it was over by Tulsa. I would have been able to go check on them for you. It would have been a nice little drive to get away from the house for awhile. Sorry I did not think to offer to do that for you.

I will not mention the "S" word again. :winking:

could you just take over renting the "farm house"?

Glad it all turned out well for you!!!!

..........or see if you can cut a deal with the landowner direct for keeping the horses there? He sounds like a pip..........

I am so glad to hear you made it back safe and sound and that the horses are doing well! Happy ending to a horrible story! Good luck with your search or whatever you decide to do. I hope you gave them horses a great big kiss after all of this and extra treats [Crazy]

[Huggy] [Huggy]

could you just take over renting the "farm house"?

Glad it all turned out well for you!!!!

Thank you all for your support and well-wishes!

As far as renting the farm, the land owner has asked me if I'd like to, but he really is asking quite a bit of rent for it, especially for this area anyways. But the real kicker is that even though it isn't too far from where I am living currently, it would be in a different school zone and my son would have to transfer in the middle of the school year. So I really don't think that would work out too well for us. So I am actively looking for another place to board them, and I am crossing my fingers that the right boarding situation could be found sometime SOON. Real soon.......

Could you take your son to school or work out a carpool? If so, then I dont' think you "have" to transfer mid year.

And with 20 acres you could offset the rent by adding a couple of boarders...

Glad everything worked out in your favor - how stressful to be so far away. But I agree, the guy sounds very nice.

Do you think you could talk him down on the rent and then talk to your son about doing a carpool or transferring schools? Chances are he may know some people if it isn't that far away!

Is the rent on the farm house more than what you are paying now for rent AND board (or rent and what you will be paying for board if you move them)? As far as your son'e school, I agree, could you drive him to school for the rest of the year and transfer him next year? Also wondering if you could make up the diff in rent by taking on a couple of boarders (with the added expense of additional insurance also)?

Edited by codysmom

I had discussed it with my husband, and it just seems that after we break the lease where we currently are, pay first, last month's rent and a security deposit on the barn/house, put deposits down on all of the utilities (all utilities at the barn/house are provided by completely different companies than we use now) and arrange transportation for my son to and from school - we would probably just be better staying where we are now. Furthermore one of the reasons we are more inclined to want to board our horses is because here recently I do find myself traveling quite a bit more than I had in the past, and it's nice to be able to kind of pick up and go without having to find someone to care for the horses while I'm away.

The land owner did tell me that I can continue to keep my horses there for the next couple months or so, and I'll just pay the board money to him. But since he is actively trying to re-lease the property out, I have NO IDEA who in the world the people are that would be moving there and that doesn't sit too well with me, since my horses would be at their disposal 24/7 once they move in, and not to mention I'm sure they'd have horses of their own that they'd be bringing into the situation. I just don't want my horses to be in the middle of all of this. I am still looking at other places to board, and a firm decision as to where will be made within the next day or two because I really feel like I need to get my horses out of there already so I can begin to move forward and put this whole fiasco behind us. I'll be sure to update everyone on where we decided to board :)

FWIW: I would be gifting the land owner with some home-made somethings or a gift card to a local restaurant. What a gem of a man to care for horses he knows nothing about, to not get ugly and to let you stay as long as you need. Bless him....

as far as utilities go, if you have been with your current utility company for more than 1 year (even if it's different addresses), you can have them print that information including the fact that you have never been late with payments, and a lot of utility companies will take that in loo of a deposit.

I just wanted to say...........never say never far as renting the place.

It might be worth your while to sit down and crunch all the numbers.

***AND***

a) I gave up purchasing a small acreage after my divorce for my kids. So they could continue going to the same school. Once the smoke cleared.....five or so years down the road - I mentioned it to them while we were all sitting at the table eating supper. They both were in shock - that it would have been no big deal to them and I should have gone ahead and purchased "whatever"

B) MORE IMPORTANTLY - where I finally DID end up moving - was about a mile outside the boundary to the school they were in. Before I signed on the dotted line for the purchase I got hold of the School Division and received written approval that because it was so close to their district - they would in fact send a bus to pick the kids up.

.............badaboombadabing. Never hurts to turn all stones over looking for a solution.....................and "never say never"

:smileywavey:

Edited by Cactus Rose

SO SO glad this worked out for you.

I was also thinking about you keepin the horses where they are since it is hard for horses to get uprooted so much, but I understand about not wanting someone else to have access to your babies.

As far as changing schools.. ask your son if he minds. Mine didn't and is really excited to start a new school in a week or so and to make new friends.

I know you said that you have done the #'s, but if it is a nice place, it might be worth it.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Well, if you want the convenience of boarding, then it really wouldn't be feasible. Not having the day-to-day responsibilities is a plus for sure.

So glad your boys are ok. And God Bless the landowner. He sounds like a gem.

Hope you baked him lots of treats. :)