Katie Schuur

People I Am Boarding My Horses With Move Away

About 2 months ago, I found an ad online where these people who have 20 acres and a barn were offering a great deal on boarding. So in the interest of saving some money, I moved my horses out there and decided to board with them.

I have been out of town for the past two weeks, and I had no plans of returning until Monday. Today I recieved a phone call from the land owner, telling me the people who were renting from him had moved out and left my horses there. I had no idea these people were only renting the place! And not to mention, I had no idea they were planning on moving!!!!!!

So here i am far, far away from Oklahoma - in Las Vegas to be precise, and I find out that these people just up and left my horses high and dry. There's no other way to put it... I am highly pissed.

How long have my horses gone without food? How long without water? GRRRR!!! This is my nightmare. What angers me the most is that I had paid a full month's board for the two of them just before I left for vacation. Why didn't they tell me THEN of their plans?

The man who owns the place told me he was able to get my number from them, but he said they were reluctant to give him my number. WHY? Why would they be reluctant to give the owner my number when I should have every right to know what happened? The land owner assured me that my horses look fine, and that he will be sure to make sure they have water and they are fed until I return. He also said I am more than welcome to continue to keep them there after I return, but of course I'd have to go out there every day to feed them myself and basically do self-care.

I am at a loss. I am so angry. I feel so helpless because I am not there and I am worried for my horses. How do I know that it's actually MY horses that he left? How do I know if he didn't leave a couple of his crappy-looking horses and took mine????? I am worried and scared. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ask the land owner to describe the horses that were left to you? Can he send you a picture message with his phone?

The renters didn't want to give him your number because they knew they were doing you wrong.

Is there anyone back home that can go check on them for you?

I had some pictures of my horses on my cell phone, so I JUST finished forwarding the pictures of my two horses in a text message to the land owner, and I am nervously awaiting a response. biting my nails. Pacing.....

Have you gotten a reply yet?

Not yet, but he did tell me he had a church function to go to later tonight (which would be now). I'm just worried. Trying to find things to keep me busy, but my mind always goes back to the horses. I walked out onto the balcony of our condo here and stared at the light coming from the top of the Luxor for a while and tried to let my mind drift.... But I could only think about how I wish I wasn't here. I wish I were in Oklahoma with some peace of mind.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I just got off the phone with the land owner, and he said he knows for a fact that "the black and white paint" is definitely, unmistakably there and looks great. He said my sorrel is there and looks good, but he said he didn't think to notice if he had blue eyes. That's okay with me, I am fairly certain now that it's definitely Sky and Tuff. He kept telling me that he's going to make sure my horses are well taken care of while I'm gone, and I just kept thanking him over and over again. Thank goodness I'll only be gone until Monday - otherwise I wouldn't be too comfortable with a complete stranger caring for my horses any longer than that.

Maybe I can sleep a little better tonight now that he confirmed that my horses are still there.

All I know is I am scared everyday of that or the phone call "We dont know where your horse is!!" and i have a padlocked pasture gate.. with no other entry or exit lest you dismantle pannels.. (shudder) I am glad the ladnowner stepped up right away as soon as he learned what happened.. I am saddened someone could be so dishonest.

Oh thank God you found out they are you horses! I hope things work out for you what ever you decide to do and I hope somehow fate will pay those people back for what they did to you!

That is beyond ignorant.

It borders on "theft"

I hope the REAL landowner will honor the rent you have - if I understand correctly - paid for board till the end of January. Legally I would imagine he doesnt have to - but..........

I would be LIVID! Thank the good Lord I don't have to board anymore. Other than that one that's at Demon's Mom's. And we'll do an HC Lynch mob on her if Turd comes up missing.

Actually, I may pay her a reward if he comes up missing.

I would be finding out where the renters have moved to and be sending them papers saying see you in court. i would be suing them for you board at least, plus any cost associated with having to move them unexpectedly. Not to mention your stress and aggravation and ruining your vacation!

I would be so mad [bang Head] Why are some people so stupid!

That is really stupid for someone to do! I would be severly ticked too! Glad that you found out that the ones left are more than likely your horses and they are ok!

I'm soo glad your horses are okay. Its nice of the owner of the place to take care of the horses while you are gone. I can't imagine how you must feel. I'm sorry that happened to you and your horses.

Thank you all so much for listening to my rant. Spacytracy - I paid with cash, so stopping payment on a check is out of the question unfortunately. I am headed back to Oklahoma in the morning - I'm leaving a day earlier than I had originally planned. I did not tell the land owner of my new plans, I just pretty much plan on showing up there a day early to check on my horses and make sure all is well. I should be arriving home on Sunday, and you can bet that the stable is the first stop I'll make once I reach the Oklahoma state line!

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how this turns out. I imagine that I won't have too much time to rest from my trip once I get back, as I'll be searching for a new place to board. I'm still so friggin angry....... My poor babies, I just know I'll be hugging each of them for at least 30 minutes straight, and I just can't wait to get there.

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

If I were you I woud be cutting vacatio nshort to get my *** home and check on my horses

*Psst* She is. Read her last post.

I seen that after I posted,, the differencce is I would have been in a car and headed home as soon as I heard it... **** I drove six hours home on my last trip because the horse I have out on lease wsa colicing

I seen that after I posted,, the differencce is I would have been in a car and headed home as soon as I heard it... **** I drove six hours home on my last trip because the horse I have out on lease wsa colicing

How nice to be so judgmental. Don't fall off your high horse now...LOL!

To the OP - glad everything worked out and everyone is safe. Good luck in finding a better boarding situation!

Cool there is no high horses involved I would do what I had to do to ensure that my animals were fed and taken care of even if that means leaving somewhere earliery then planned adn coming home.

When I am gona I calll twice daily to check with the person I have taking care of my animals to make sure they are all safe and eating like they should be.

and WHERE was I judemental?? I staed what "I" would have done!!

Edited by Peggy Sue

and WHERE was I judemental?? I staed what "I" would have done!!

If I were you I woud be cutting vacatio nshort to get my *** home and check on my horses

^^^^^kinda there.

It was the "if I were you"

Even crusty old me had a little cringe.

It had a tiny bit of "you're not doing everything you can for your horse" tone to it.

Just sayin'...................cause you asked.

;)

I guess that is the neg attitude on this board...

IOW IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES I WOULD BE HEADED HOME!!!

No matter what why I say it you all are gonna get bent oh welll

Hope all turns out well

Stating what "SHE" would have done in the OP's shoes is NOT judgemental, just a fact of what she would do. Everyone is different in what THEY would do....

If I had no one that I knew to check in on and take care of the horses or did not trust the guy on the other end of the phone.(which I would not) I would have high tailed it home too...

Good luck on your travel home I hope they are OK when you arrive... [smiley Wavey]

I guess that is the neg attitude on this board...

IOW IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES I WOULD BE HEADED HOME!!!

No matter what why I say it you all are gonna get bent oh welll

Hope all turns out well

First off I can hardly understand you.

Second off, pot meet kettle.

Stating what "SHE" would have done in the OP's shoes is NOT judgemental, just a fact of what she would do. Everyone is different in what THEY would do....

If I had no one that I knew to check in on and take care of the horses or did not trust the guy on the other end of the phone.(which I would not) I would have high tailed it home too...

Good luck on your travel home I hope they are OK when you arrive... [smiley Wavey]

Thank you SPunker :)

I know sometimes plans can't be re arranged that fast and some airlines charge an arm and leg to change flights. Las Vegas to OK is a long drive with no car.

I know a situation where my animal had to find a new caretaker while I was in AZ happened once. There was a death in the family of who was watching my animals and I had to find another person to watch them from over 2000 miles away with NO WAY to get home until 2 weeks later. My situation worked out just fine but I know how stressful it can be when you don't know what is going on at home and you are far away.

I'm glad this situation seems to have worked out and soon she will be home to make sure all is good. Hopefully the land owner will help out since you got screwed out of this deal.