Sign in to follow this  
SillyFilly27

Hollowing Back Off The Wall

Hello all!

Paisley and I have been hard at work in our new home. He's pretty much had a body makeover, as we recently did find some very mild arthritis in his hocks (right worse than left). We just finished our Adequan loading dose and WOW it's a great difference. My farrier also noticed that he was not using his right hind hoof as efficiently as he could (probably to evade some hock pain), so she trimmed it slightly differently to better encourage him to use his whole hoof about 3 weeks ago, and that made another big improvement. We also had the chiropractor out for a farm call last week and we found that his pelvis was misaligned (right side) and now that is fixed and again, a great change! So he's feeling pretty good now!

What we've been having some problems with lately is coming off the wall he starts to hollow his back, raise his head, and get very mouthy (chomping the bit, opening, closing his mouth) . This happens only on a circle, if we are just coming off the wall to change direction, work on the diagonal, etc. it's not a problem, he usually stays pretty consistent and working. But on a circle as soon as I ask for him to move off the wall, he does this silly choppy stride. I will ask for more bend and more impulsion from his hind, but he just hollows himself more. I use slight inside hand, inside leg, and my upper body to ask for the circle, so I'm not cranking his mouth. He comes off the wall okay, as we hit the farthest point of the circle and start to close the circle, he would prefer to get hollow, choppy, and travel unbalanced into the wall... This happens only at the trot, and tracking in both directions.

My Vet has told me to try and keep him working on large circles and on the long sides of the arena as he is still building muscle and feeling the effects of the Adequan, but I don't want him to be bored, so I do occasional circles (roughly 30m, I try and keep them large, round and balanced). I don't want him to depend on the wall for support either.

Trainer has been out of town the last few weeks for the holidays and then a family emergency, so we've been working on this recent problem alone. She comes home this weekend and we have a lesson Monday. I'm just looking for a little advice on how I can try and fix this until she is home!

I cannot say enough good things about chiropractics! I have seen a huge difference in my own horse since he's been adjusted. He has had some acupuncture too, and that has also helped him considerably.

Could you possibly have the saddle checked out? Sometimes the panels wear down or the horse's back may have slightly changed shape and causes saddle fit issues.

I would also check out his teeth. Since you said that on circles his head comes up and he starts chomping on the bit, that suggests that maybe the bit is hitting a tooth or a sore spot in the mouth.

Edited by Blueribbonhorse97

His teeth were done just this October, but I will check my bit again for better fit, as well as my saddle. My chiro is also a saddle fitter, and he will be back out for round 2 with 10 other boarders next week, I can have him double check that!

Often with teeth issues, the size of the bit is not the problem, just the way the teeth are growing/wearing. Sometimes teeth get long and hit against the bit. Also, sometimes long teeth irritate the gums and when the bit touches those areas becomes sensitive. My guess is that if your horse does have an issue within his mouth that it is not because the bit is the wrong size.