Sign in to follow this  
honey7

Looking To Get Into Saddleseat

I am looking to start riding saddleseat. It looks fun.

I have a 17 hand Appendix Quarterhorse gelding, and he does both english and western with me. I just really want to try saddleseat too. The only problem is, he has a long, low hunter frame, and Im sure that that is not acceptable in the saddleseat ring.

Also, what would I need for saddleseat, clothing wise?

Where can I get tack that is not super expensive?

What is the saddle seat sizing? I ride in a 16" western, and a 18"-ish english. What would that transfer to in a saddleseat saddle?

What differences is there in the riding style between saddleseat and other disciplines?

What types of bits are allowed?

I know a lot of people ride with double bridles. Are these mandatory, or is a single bit allowed?

Honey7 as beautiful as your horse is, he is not the breed or mount suitable for saddleseat riding. Do a google search to find a local/reputable stable that teaches saddleseat in your area. When you do your search, check for saddleseat show pictures and you can see that it requires specific breeds of horses, tack for said horse, and clothing! It is as different in styles as dressage is to working cow horse! Keep your faithful mount and take a few lessons on a Saddlebred or Morgan in saddleseat and you'll understand.

Well, Im not as concerned about that, as my area is not real big on saddleseat. Ive only ever seen saddleseat classes in my equestrian team shows. Even there, Ive only seen one gaited/show type horse entered. All the other horses are Quarters, Warmbloods, or TBs.

I understand that to be competitive in the sport, you must have the suitable breed type, but that is not my main interest right now. If I enjoy it enough, I will certainly look into finding something more suited for the sport, but I am just looking to try it, as of now.

Honey, I'm not sure if you will see this , but I completely agree that you should not try to ride your horse saddleseat. I'm not trying to be mean, but it would really be a waste of your money. Your horse is not the type to do saddleseat riding, and it's not just about competition or ribbons. If your horse doesnt carry himself or move like a saddleseat horse should, then all you are doing is riding English in a cut back saddle. You will spend a great deal of money because saddleseat riding isn't as common/popular as huntseat so there are fewer companies and less to choose from- I.e. Higher prices. Same goes for tack. Fewer saddlers who really know how to make quality saddles, so the ones that do charge a lot and the ones that don't make crappy saddles! Also, your horse likely won't fit a cutback saddle. They are made for saddlebreds, Arabs, and morgans who are different from other horses in their neck to back placement, slope of shoulder and back length. Because of their different body types the saddles are made differently. As for bits, you would ride in a double bridle. Since you described your horse as long and low, this bitting set up may actually be quite uncomfortable for him. Saddleseat horses are very high headed and upright so a leverage bit with a big curb and curb chain works for them. A horse with a long and low headset will not appreciate all that leverage.

Saddleseat is a great style of riding, and it's fun and elegant when you have the right horse. You don't have the right horse so you should take lessons on a trained saddleseat horse, decide if you like it and then work on finding that type of horse.

Agreed with everyone here. It's not about being competitive. You would not b able to really learn how to ride Saddleseat on the type of horse you have. You won't be able to put your body in the correct position or even ride correctly, as stated above, you'd be riding English Pleasure while wearing saddleseat clothing and tack. Even if you spend several years learning to ride Saddleseat on your current horse the second you stepped on a Breed Typical Saddleseat horse you wouldn't have a clue, hence the waste of time. Also seconding the discomfort to your horse, the cut back saddle just isn't going to fit, and putting a double bridle on your horse requires some extensive training and a different head set, a single bit IS allowed in most cases but it has to be a pelham with two seperate reins attached. Please reconsider, it's not a good idea. You've been riding Western and English Pleasure, try and find somewhere you can try a real Saddleseat Horse, you may find you don't even like it. The horses are hotter, brighter, much more forward, bouncy, and their necks are usually in your face.