Sign in to follow this  
kitten-kat

She's Here.. And What A Doll She Is..

She hadent been ridden in a while, but I like her personality, and willingness.. she is 10.. I am waiting to get her registry name to check her out.. bridle is a few sizes too big, but owner didnt have one out and this is only one i had in my van.. she holds the bit nicely, other than that, REALLY needs some major toning up.. I didnt ride her but maybe 20 minutes, enough to see where she was in her training, and how willing she was to learn.. She proved to be smart as a whip.. but needs a HUGE refresher course in the bit, really high headed most of the time.. and only got her to collect a few strides at a time.. Out of shape mare, I expect this..

Anyway here are the shots I have of that day!!

beautifulface.jpg

am using my natural ride with her.. she seemed to like it well, didnt get upset bout semi bareback rider.. somewhat giving on legs.

The sorrel is her half sister.

100_2601.jpg

100_2564.jpg

100_2570.jpg

Heading out to the street.. slow lazy neighborhood in the middle of no-where. no traffic to worry bout.. but she sure wasnt sure bout the asphalt.. very alert about everything.

100_2590.jpg

Man Hole Cover.. MUST be evil

100_2587.jpg

100_2582.jpg

I am just SURE it will EAT ME

100_2581.jpg

100_2580.jpg

Edited by kitten-kat

She is really cute!

Her bit is reaaaalllly low in her mouth though. It was probably clanking on her teeth - there should be 2-3 little wrinkles in the corner of her mouth.

^ I think she's aware of that fact as she already noted that the bridle was too big for her! Arabs have tiny heads so more often than not they need a cob sized or a special Arab sized bridle (and saddles!).

She's really cute. I wouldn't have been brave enough to ride an Arab...or any horse...but especially an Arab...without a helmet. Now of course I'm going from my experience with my Arab and we didn't click and she was a spook head that shattered my confidence lol

I bet you'd have her going well in no time. She looks willing to please and she's awful cute!!

Is riding her rough on your back at all?

I was amazed how smooth she was to ride.. she was responsive and sweet. just liked to carry that head sky high.. her owner had a tomthumb bit on her bridle, and you can guess I was NOT going to use that.. personally think them quite evil..

I am hoping 30-60 days with me and the kids at the barn will have her head down, and more muscle tone to her.. she has none right now which is making for a soft back.. I can wait to get a lighter rider on her, and see how she does then.. but I plan on a lot of ground driving and longing with a bitting rig.. I really think she needs to bring that head down some.. and propper training and a lighter rider will do her well.. I am hoping she will be the right candidate for my young friend Kira.

I don't have Datasource access right now, maybe someone else does. But her name leads me to believe she harks back to The Real McCoy. My first Arab was one of his get. Jack was da bomb.

Mischevious, well mannered (of course that's training) and intrepid. He and I got into more things together that probably could've gotten us killed and he always pulled us through.

I've told my Magoombagoomba story often where us kids would combine jousting and bareback indian wars by running our horses at each other and trying to pull each other off, that I'm sure nearly everyone's heard about it. Jack was my Magoombagoomba horse.

He and I also used to race our friends through the town park, across the creek and up the thickly wooded 30%+ grade hill behind the livestock barns. Considering that we survived that, I wonder if any of the endurance horses now have Real McCoy blood?

More later, taking call.

she does go back to the real mccoy.. that much i can remember.. and she does look a bit like him.. just a tad longer in the back and not quite as heavy right now..

I cant wait to get her listed in allbreed. she is really a good little thing.

Sired by Hardy McCoy (Taj McCoyXPrarie Jane) Taj is by Real McCoy.

Dam is Zanda (Gai-AdventureXZonna(Ferzon)). Gai Adventure is sired by Naborr. Some VERY nice breeding there. Foaled 11-5-01.

Oh thankyou Oz.. she really is a cutey pie.. I rally kinda want to keep her and train her to cart.. she really has the movement i think.. but alas, if she turns out what i think, I will definitely loose to the 16 year old.. le'sigh

Edited by kitten-kat

Almost a twin in appearance to my "Siseley". They were even born in the same year, 2001!

She looks very sweet, and I'll bet one of the young riders will bond with her, and that will be that!

Do remember that Arabs Don't carry their heads low like Quarter horses. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the fewer vertebrae come into play. I don't know about that. I do know that once an Arabian bonds with a rider, THAT is who the horse responds to best.

I also see a lot of too heavy bodied riders try to ride small bodied Arabs like they were clunky Quarter horses, and with too much weight, they did not collect like a larger horse. I have read where an Arab can carry weight very well, and do have substantial leg bone, but I have seen some who just could not quite "round up" and perform like the pretty horses they are.

Here is my "Siseley" at the beach in Central CA., You can see how much they look alike. Don't ya love how they will "flag" that tail and just trot out like they were on a cloud?

1001onthebeach.jpg

sassy_babydoll_0101-1.jpg

steveleading.jpg

Your Sisely is a very pretty thing..

The young lady this mare is hopefully slated for is 16, and all of about 110lbs.. tiny wisp of a thing. She just happens to be nervous of some horses.. She does great if she trusts the horse, so I am hoping this mares personality will help her some.. I know how much that she likes to ride, and the mare she has now, is NOT a good match at all..

I am familiar with how the arabs carry their heads, we used to breed them in cali, and the TB's.. was my Mom's Roomies horses. Anyway I had this awesome anglo arab names Shawnee.. I loved the head higher, this is comfortable for me.. Daniel also tends to be high necked too.. so that isnt a problem.. in fact a bonus, since it is what is prefered around here in the shows.. more higher neck set, than the QH's.. this is what is giving her parents the desire to get her the mare.. Lines and way of moving are a huge thing..

Yeah I am not a little girl.. LOL I wish I could have taken Kira out to try the mare, but she always says "Not Like Danny" so this time I am gonna put a little time with her, ground driving, longing in the bitting rig, I dont mind the high head, just he nose in the air is not ok.. so she needs to learn to collect, and get ehr toned up.. Once that is done, a few weeks should get a good start, then Miss Kira is going to come for lessons.. I am excited to get started on this mare so that Hopefully Kira will bond with her.. I think the mare will really appriciate Kira's gentle nature.

Miss Kira, and Miss Harrlyy met today.. Grampa rode first, and though she was a little up, high winds and all, she settled right in.. No Longing first to settle her down. Grampa rode ehr in a nice collected trot all over the pasture for a bit, then Big dady rode for about 3-5 minutes just to get the idea of her control, and to encourage miss Kira to get on.. and man that mare knew just that Kira was nervous,, settled right down into a nice little walk on a short line for her.. Kira got a nice soft stop, as well as a nice walk.. WOW the mare can walk LOL

I was very pleased to see her head is already coming down with a nicely fitted bridle, and bit.. we are using a 4.5 inch french link on her, and she is responding nicely!! I cant wait till next Saturday when Kira comes again..

Kira still doesnt know this mare will be available to her if she desires, we are just doing some riding and getting to know, as well as Kira learning about her.. I am hoping.. Grampa approves, and so does dad, so she is the last one.. and i think it will take a little time. I do however need to work her reins in, they are very stiff, and just kinda loop above her hands.. look weird so I am thinking they need some breaking in.. LOL

100_2691.jpg

100_2690.jpg

100_2689.jpg

100_2688.jpg

100_2687.jpg

100_2686.jpg

100_2685.jpg

I think they will make a great pair! I love the softness I see in the mare already. I love French link bits.

Her stirrups look a little long and like you said the reins are high and need breaking in but I'm sure after working with it all for a while things will settle right into place. I really really hope it works out for Kira and Harrlyy, they'd make such a cute pair!

Edited by Confetti's Mom

She really is a fast learner.. I was impressed how fast she softened right up for Kira..

I really hope she will like her too.. I have been searching for 2 years and over 40 face to face interviews, tests, and rides, over 100 calls to talk to prospective sellers, and finally found 1 that "might" work..

But I think Kira will really get into this mares head.. she seemed to like the tiny little rider..

Believe it or not, Miss Kira is 16 years old.. Wouldnt know it to look at her.. she is Tiny.. 100lbs soaking wet with her winter clothes on.

If Kira is that nervous try having her wear a helmet when she rides. I have found that a lot of times something as simple as a helmet can sooth nerves.

Beautiful mare. I love arabs. She has a sweet face.

She normally wears a helmet all the time.. we didnt expect her to ride at all..

She has a bit of her mothers fear in her.. Mom was raised with horses, when she was 10 or so, one of her friends was killed by a horse who got spooked and reared over on her at a show.. so Now Mom can only remember that incident, so has caused her daughter to have a healthy fear.. but her desire to ride is stronger.. she will be wearing her helmet next time..

She is my old student.. she learned to ride on Daniel.. even showed him and took all high scores.. so I am hoping she will build the same bond with this mare.

She normally wears a helmet all the time.. we didnt expect her to ride at all..

She has a bit of her mothers fear in her.. Mom was raised with horses, when she was 10 or so, one of her friends was killed by a horse who got spooked and reared over on her at a show.. so Now Mom can only remember that incident, so has caused her daughter to have a healthy fear.. but her desire to ride is stronger.. she will be wearing her helmet next time..

She is my old student.. she learned to ride on Daniel.. even showed him and took all high scores.. so I am hoping she will build the same bond with this mare.

Oh holy cow, no wonder she has a fear of them. lol well scratch my suggestion if that is something you all ready do.

Good luck with both of them. That mare sure is beautiful.

Very happy you decided to take her, she's really a lovely little mare. Hoping Kira falls in love, but really how could she not?

Really nice little mare. Have her spend time on the ground with her, maybe in a pen. Bonding will most likely sure to occur.

Smart little mare, knows the difference in riders and adjusts accordingly.

Good luck with everything.

:D

What a darling little mare. I really like her. Kira looks just right for her too. I'm sure you already know this but I would sure encourage Kira to groom, handle and take Harley on grazing walks (probably too early for much grass yet). Just spending time is major in bonding.

Harley really looks like she likes that bit and her rider. I love it!

Any new pictures of Danny? You know how much I love him - he has so much character!

She sure is a doll.. She follows me all over the paddock when i go visit..

Tomorrow is Kira's first actual day working with her.. she does all the grooming and handling of the horses she is learning on.. She already told Dad how much that she loved how Harley likes her face petted and how she likes how affectionate Harley is.. So far good start..

We plan on doing everything she can on the ground, to help her to really feel confident wit this mare.. she is such a smart mare, and Kira is such a sweetheart of a girl, she really deserves a good mare to grow with.. and I think Harley is a good age for her as well.. Just coming in to her age, as Kira is hers. I wish I had been able to start Kira younger with different horses.. But I will take what she is willing to give..

I also found this mare is really responsive to the Pelham bit i have.. so now i am working on getting her completely down to a snaffle.. When I work with her, I am using the pelham, and when Kira rides, she is using the french link.. Harley is really a smart mare, coming along very fast for not much done in a long while..

I will post more pictures of Daniel and Harley tomorrow..

Thanks for the wonderful comments.

Mia'sMom, I couldnt believe how well this mare fit Kira's size.. Dont think it is a better fit anywhere

Forgot to get pictures, but things went well today, Kira got a very pretty collected trot, and a nice short and long walk.. she was doing awesome till they both turned a bit short, and the mare found a slippery spot.. the mare went down in slow motion, the whole time trying to get upright without panic.. she did awesome, Kira, picked the mares head up and had her standing and was up and riding again.. Kira got a little unnerved, but is still eager to work with this mare.. I am soo proud of ehr and so are her parents.. We are looking forward to the spring show season!! simple open shows and playing around with a pony that wants to be what she needs.. this will hopefully work out.. Will keep posted.

Wow that's great to hear!!! It really sounds like they're a perfect pair for each other and I hope they will continue on growing together. Good job for picking out such a perfect girl for her!