Sign in to follow this  
DraftyGirl43

Wintec Saddles

I've been using a Wintec AP saddle constantly for about 5 years now and have just found out that the tree is cracked. I'm debating if I want to buy another one or if I should go with something different this time. I don't show and I don't jump, only trail riding so I don't need anything fancy. My horse is a 17.1 draft cross with a good withers, not flat or mushy like some drafts can have. He is a large boy with a broad back.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any other saddles you think might work for me? I would like to keep it under $600 and would be willing to buy used.

Thanks!

I would suggest buying a good quality used leather saddle. I've got a lot of experience with Wintecs and I don't think I will ever spend money on one.

The barn I currently work at adores Wintec and probably has about ten for lesson horses and such. The problem I have seen and experience myself is that they slide all over the horses back. Whether its an all purpose, dressage, etc. Each one of them seems to have that problem.

ETA: You can find great used english saddles for under $600. Especially if you take your time and look for deals. I got my two year old Stubben Lohengrin for $550 (plus $100 leathers and $50 irons). The original price for the saddle was $2500.

Edited by JumpinJax

I love my wintec saddles. I never have trouble with them slipping. My daughter has the Issable Worth Wintec dressage saddle and a wintec jumping saddle. I have the Wintec aussi saddle which I use for trail riding. I love it!! My mare is hard to fit. A professional saddle fitter came to our barn. Now she was trying to sell her saddles but I told her I couldn't afford her saddle - the cheapest one was $3,000. They were nice saddles but for trail riding, the Wintec works for me. I can get caught in a rain storm or get mud on it and I don't have to worry about it. Anyway the saddle fitter helped me get the correct size gullets in it. I thought it fit my mare before but when she told me to change to a bigger size it fit even better. I can't say enough about the Wintec aussi saddle for trail riding. I am not sure how much you can get them used for. They are just over a thousand, I think new, maybe 1500. Sorry I can't remember for sure. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I love my Wintec CC - LOVE. the only leather saddle Id trade it in for would be a Bates... Wintec is incredible, especially for the cost ;)

ETA: thought about that... Pessoa would make a trade too LOL, but that would never happen. For $600, youre not gonna find a very good used leather saddle compared to a Wintec

Edited by fhchik06

I take lessons in a Wintec Dressage saddle & I have to say it is super comfy! I personally own a Colleigate, and though it is comfortable, it isn't as comfy as the wintec! Also for trail riding it is nice to not have to worry about the saddle getting wet or scratched. I always get so paranoid about riding in the rain in my leather saddle.

The one I take lessons in is the "suede" type material which is also super grippy. I'd say go for it! Get another one :-)

I take lessons in a Wintec AP and I like it way better than my Collegiate CC, but maybe thats just because it has better "stick" and I'm used to a suede leather Western saddle. I'd buy one, personally.

I love my Wintec CC - LOVE. the only leather saddle Id trade it in for would be a Bates... Wintec is incredible, especially for the cost ;)

ETA: thought about that... Pessoa would make a trade too LOL, but that would never happen. For $600, youre not gonna find a very good used leather saddle compared to a Wintec

for 600 you can find a very nice used leather saddle

look at stubbens and get a sheepskin cover for your rear

I also like the Wintec English saddles. I have 3 of them, Isabelle dressage and aussi style. I've ridden them in the ocean and on beaches. They clean up really well. They are all super comfy. I would buy one again. Good luck.

I have a wintec CC and pretty much adore it. It's the perfect fit for me and my mare. Every time I get to use my saddle ( currently living 2500miles away from my horses/saddle) , my butt feels "home" lol...

I was competing in a local hunter show at the fair and my old trainer came up to me and was asking me where I got my new saddle/what kind it was/etc. I moved my leg so she could see the wintec logo, and her face fell and she got a bit of a shocked look. She thought it was a leather higher end saddle when she was watching me do my courses! LOL. And it was 6 years old, not brand new!

I love my wintec also! It fits wonderful and is comfy!

I.take lessons at a high end dressage barn.and they all have custome made 7,000 saddles, well my trainer was actually impressed with my saddle fit and said it was comfortable!

I've been using a Wintec AP saddle constantly for about 5 years now and have just found out that the tree is cracked. I'm debating if I want to buy another one or if I should go with something different this time. I don't show and I don't jump, only trail riding so I don't need anything fancy. My horse is a 17.1 draft cross with a good withers, not flat or mushy like some drafts can have. He is a large boy with a broad back.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any other saddles you think might work for me? I would like to keep it under $600 and would be willing to buy used.

Thanks!

I believe Wintec's "lifetime" warranty is for five years. Check with your dealer, and they may replace it. I found out the tree on my Wintec AP saddle had cracked shortly before the warranty expired. I didn't have my receipt, but the number on the saddle indicates when it was manufactured. If it was manufactured within the warranty period, they should replace it even without a receipt. I had a little trouble since the store I bought it from went out of business, but I contacted the manufacturer and distributor. They arranged to have it replaced through another retailer.

I just bought a wintec and love it so much!!!! I have the all purpose 500 with CAIR which is awesome!! I found mine on craigslist brand new for $250. I recommend them 100% any other saddle hurts my horses back:( Good luck!!!

I've been using my Wintec 500 Dressage saddle for a good I think 7 years now and it has held up so well I love it. I wouldn't mind a good quality leather saddle but I haven't had the funds and it is so hard to fit my TB's shark withers.

Thanks!

I would look at 2 options with your situation. Option one is taking a look at Tekna synthetic saddles. Newer brand and absolutely fantastic and fantastic material. Option 2 is to look for a used saddle of a brand name-but with this be very careful it's not one with a broken tree.

Thanks!

You will get so many opinions about those saddles. Most people will tell you to get a good quality used leather saddle, which in some cases(depending on the fit of horse and rider), can be a great idea. I will also say however that wintex or other synthetic saddles are sometimes a fantastic option. Most synthetic saddles dont even look synthetic because of how well made they are-but again you just have to make sure that it fits you and your horse.