Sign in to follow this  
Custer12

What Is Your Horse's Favorite Treats

The cheap crunchy oatmeal cookies from Wal-Mart. They LOVE them and the whole pkg, is only like 99 cents.

Edited by pdavissmith

My horses like the norm. apples and carrots... Probably because their races and dont get them extremely often but when they get them they are very happy.

Tilly Monster loves apple wafers and apple treats. However, she can't stand a real apple. Jupiter likes peppermints.

I know isnt that so wierd! Mine is the same way...He loves the apple treats for horses but he hates real apples! :grin:

Mine love anything you give them from jello to watermelon to pineapple to candy canes and jolly ranchers but hate any home made treats that I make them, with the exception of Indy he will eat anything I make. Oh yeah I forgot they hate cake, they will not touch cake, even with the icing they do not like cake.

They eat apples, carrots and horse treats as well! Blaze has even tried to eat an Egg McMuffin from McDonalds! They love to drink pop and anything else we are drinking.

Our neighbor brings back apples, pears, carrots, watermelon and cucumbers out of his garden/yard. The horses will come running to the gate as soon as they see his golf cart approaching. When they are in season, our shed fridge always is stocked. I buy the apple treats from the tack/feed store to keep in the horse trailer when trail riding since they last longer than fruit/veggies.

My gelding will attempt eating pretty much anything I eat. He really likes rice crispy treats and granola bars. He will eat crackers, but isn't hitting me up for more when he realizes that's all I have.

Same as the OP, my horses will kill for frosted mini wheats! Especially the blueberry or strawberry flavored kind :) They also love candy canes or any kind of peppermint.

Mine will eat just about anything, loves Pepsi, but his absolute favorite is bananas. :yay: I know, sounds weird, but I read an article about a study of horses favorite food flavors, and bananas were second I think. Fenugreek (what is that anyway?) was the first on the list. And he gets very impatient if I don't peel fast enough!! :rolleye0014:

My girls is a pepsi fan too and pink cream soda. She loves it right in the bottle. She drinks it like a baby bottle. Have you tried peaches? They loved them and spit out the pit when they had all the peach off it. It is so funny to watch them

And extra handful of their grain. Love it. hahaha!

Can't get them to eat anything else, not that I mind too much.

Silly horses.

Anything from the garden but, squash. I give them all my peelings from cooking and every week what is left in the fridge they get.

They love all fruits, I don't even have to peel bananas and oranges, they eat the peelings.

I have given them cracker, bread, cookies,chips, anything that is left over or getting stale.

Mine will eat about anything I put in their pans.

Our two love watermelon but act like we've poisoned them if we give them cantalope. Normal treats are plain animal cookies ($2 for a 2lb bag at WalMart) and a peppermint apiece. They do know the word "cookie".

Carrots and apples are big with them too. Buddy thought he might like an ice cream cone once when he took one from our grandson. He spit it right out. Tried them on squash once and it didn't interest them.

I told Vickie about the Frosted Mini Wheats and was told real fast that I wasn't feeding her cereal to the horses.

ETA: Forgot to add root beer barrel hard candy. They'll eat butterscotch but would rather have a peppermint.

Edited by Willy McCoy

Peeps

:D I can picture my horse's mouth stuck closed full of peeps!!

My mare loves just about anything, she recently discovered the honey teddy grahams! She loves any kind of peppermint, but my gelding can't stand anything minty. He likes carrots, apples, and Mrs. Pastures. :rolleye0014:

Phoenix loves peppermint, candy canes(i buy them when their on sale for super cheap), apple wafer treats, grapes, and Dr. Pepper

Halo likes peppermints, candy canes and apple wafer treats

Lips only likes the wafer treats..spits out everything else.

and their all over me for a extra handful of grain.

i don't know what my possible new gelding likes but hopefully at least the wafers as i do like giving them treats occasionaly

Gulliver enjoys the Dumore (sp?) treats that are so cheap at Tractor Supply. However, his favorite two things are the round, red and white striped peppermints and Pepsi. It's a close race, but I think those peppermints win out. He is not patient while I'm taking the wrap off. I actually picked him up a bag at the gas station on the way to the barn today. He hadn't had any in awhile and the look of pure bliss on his face was priceless. As soon as he heard the plastic wrap crinkle he was on full alert.

Dollar hates apples but likes carrots or plain horse treats. Barra and Morning will eat pretty much anything! Smoke LOVES oats and honey granola bars. Luna doesn't like grain or treats because I really don't give treats, and I got her as a yearling before she'd ever had grain or treats and learned to like them! I don't think any of my horses like any kind of mint or mint flavored treats. But again, I'm not much of a treat giver, so I only know a few things that they like or dislike because of what previous owners or friends have given them.

My colt will eat ANYTHING ,Dreamer alfafla cubes(i haven't had her long enough to know really ) , and Little Bit (and Charger) LOVES Sour Patch Kids .(sour then sweet gummies :rotf: )

Yeppers, Willy.... Animal Crackers is like Pony Crack... most horses or ponies will mow you over to get to them... a quick easy treat that is inexpensive.... I told a co-worker about them... he said I owe him a jacket ! I thought "How and why do I owe him a jacket :questionicon: ? ? " Turns out he had Animal Crackers in his pocket, the horse smelled them... and tried " going in for the kill " himself.... Dogs, pigs, kids and husbands all seem to like them I am told....

I used to make my own pony cookies... however... since I have been working the vampire shift... I barely have time to cook something for me to eat,let alone bake cookies for the horses... Syc....

Edited by sycamore124

Dogs, pigs, kids and husbands all seem to like them I am told...

I can verify dogs, kids and husbands. My Min Pin, "Sassy", my grandson and I all like them too.