Sign in to follow this  
betsyschaller

Crosby Saddle

Alright so I'm trying to sell my 15 inch Crosby Saddle, but I don't know much about it. Everyone that has been interested in the saddle ask what the patch is on the saddle. I have no clue what it is for I assume a patch because the saddle is completely sound. Also I was wondering how much this saddle woudl be worth so here are some pictures of it hopefully you guys are able to help me. Thanks

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Edited by chester_2007

The saddle in my opinion is in pretty poor condition. The patch may just be covering up a tear in that part of the seat, so you're right, it probably isn't affecting the soundness. However, the leather doesn't appear as though it has been taken care of very well. It also looks to me like the saddle would need to be reflocked as it looks pretty worn out.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any pricing information because that's against forum rules, but it's not something I would pay a lot of money for.

I have a 14 year old Crosby Prix de Nations that I recently pulled off of consignment because it did not sell. I was asking $400, and have found that $300-$350 is more average for a saddle in very good condition (which mine is in). Your saddle looks to be in more of a fine to good condition based on the patch, wear marks on the leather and the way the panels are not really holding their shape anymore. I also see that there are only 2 billet straps, has it always been this way, or has 1 broken off? Anyway only 2 billet straps will probably be seen as a negative for most buyers as well.

In my area I would say $150; old Crosbys are a dime a dozen and depending on your area this might even be a over estimate.

I personally would not sell that saddle to anyone. The pannels gets increasingly narrow towards the cantle. I bet you can only get two fingers in there. That would put pressure on the spine of anyhorse that saddle is put on. As for the patch, it is probably an extra peice of leather glued on top where the leather tore away from the stitching.

It is pretty common for saddle to wear through eventually so that is probably why the patch. I also notice there are only two billet straps on each side. I always thought saddles came with with three on each side so you have a back-up in case one breaks.

Your saddle looks usable but not in the best shape. If it were me, I would clean it up, oil it up and then place a classifed ad to try and sell it for about $150.00 bucks.

It needs a lot of TLC.. and the style is very old. I would probably only try to sell it as a decoration, not as a riding saddle.

Thanks everyone for your responses, as I said before I don't know much about english saddles. When I rode in this one I used a riser pad with it, but I definetely see that it needs reflocking. Also When I got it about two years ago it only had 2 billet straps on each side.