ExtraHannah

Help! Artist's Block!

I'm working on a new photo manip and I've somehow lost my forward momentum. I'm not sure where to go from here. I would love some input! First, I'm not sure if I have the lighting looking good where I've lightened the stump to show sun light where it hits his left (our right) side. Are the lighting, shadows and pasting fairly realistic? What areas scream "shopped" to you? I'm currently messing with Lighting Effects filters to blend the light and put a hair more focus on the "elf".

Also clueless as to what to use to cover the missing part of his right (our left) foot. It was hiding behind a stool leg in my original photo. Should I take it even more towards fantasy and add a dragon head or fairies or...???? Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. I will end with some filters and likely a texture or two to blend everything, but that will be last.

AutumnElfHelpFlat.jpg

Edited by ExtraHannah

My eye is first drawn to the light/bright area on the ground to the right of him. Then it jumps to the light spot above him in leaves. I notice him 3rd.

Either he needs to catch my eye first, or my eye should be following a lighted path to him which isn't happening

Just my thoughts

Cool idea for a picture. I bet it's really interesting by the time you are finished with it

Edited by Sangria

Thanks so much for the input Sangria! Now that I stopped looking at the stupid thing for a while and just looked "afresh", I agree 100%. I will work on using lighting effects next to put some spot light on my "focus". I may also try to tone down the lighting on that area in the greenery to the right of him that grabs your eye.

Just in case anyone wants to see what I ended up with. I tried fairies, I tried dragons, I ended up with bluebirds. LOL Goes to show you never can tell. I ended up using 6 different original images. I'm reasonably happy, though wondering if I need to do a bit more work on the "elf" to blend him better. He may need a hair of smudging.

AutumnElfFinalFavFrameMildTextureW.jpg

Edited by ExtraHannah

I like it, good job. You have great ideas and imagination

I almost missed the bird

Just a thought (lol, my thoughts usually don't pan out or work when I try them) any way to darken around the bird so it stands out more?