HenryP

What You Thought You Needed, You Don't

I find that some things become addicted and you feel you cannot live without them but if you just walk away they go away.

Forums are very much like that I think. I've been on other forums that just compleeled me to return over and over. I had to learn the latest arguement, who was attacking who, you know the normal.

Once away from it the need is no longer there.

Have some of you had similar experiences

Yes, I have the same problem. I was addicted to farmville and farmtown on FB, Facebook, Horsecity, and other things. It took a conscious effort to stay away from these sites. Sometimes I just have to force myself to say no to the computer.

I find that some things become addicted and you feel you cannot live without them but if you just walk away they go away.

Forums are very much like that I think. I've been on other forums that just compleeled me to return over and over. I had to learn the latest arguement, who was attacking who, you know the normal.

Once away from it the need is no longer there.

No. I'm not a fan of drama or bickering, that's what real family is for. I come daily to check for messages, check the boards I moderate on to see if there is anything that needs my immediate attention, maybe make a post or two, then leave. I got a hair cut, and I got a real job.winking0073.gifhappy0203.gif

Um ... :questionicon: ... I think the only ones who would have "similar experiences" to share would be ... the ones who left.

... and they sure ain't here sharin' their experiences, are they? :happy0203:

Heidi, point well taken, :notworthy:

and with that I MUST go muck some corrals, change out the water barrel water, jack up the trailer and grease the bearings, ETC.

:happy0203::winking: I hope the trip to the Anza Borrego will fix my ride and camp problems. Orrrr..... perhaps make them a lot more demanding! LOL!

Um ... :questionicon: ... I think the only ones who would have "similar experiences" to share would be ... the ones who left.

... and they sure ain't here sharin' their experiences, are they? :happy0203:

Or ones who's left other forums :flirt:

This forum, that forum, what's the difference? If anyone left *here* they certainly wouldn't be sharing that experience here. :rotf:

I get your point, though. I've belonged to various forums, drifted away from them and found new forums or activities to occupy my time. I certainly wouldn't call it an addiction ... more of finding what suits my needs at that particular time. I've never felt as if *I-couldn't-live* w/ or w/out some forum or other.

Either it fits and I participate ... or it doesn't and I move on in search of something that does.

I think it depends what you consider an addiction, I check out HC most everyday, & especially the debate board, to see if topics are something I can relate to or not. The winter weather & being retired give me the time to do such things. There is much I can learn just reading many of the threads even if I don't post on them. I like the interaction with people from around the world that I can be part of. It could be argued that I might spend my more wisely else where, but it is now my time, to use my time, as I see fit!! PD

What I thought I needed...and I don't...

( OP...doesn't have to be related to forums...right? That was just your 'for instance', I gather)

My for instance:

alcohol= there was a time in my life when I could not dream of ever not having a drink/beer or two. Even before my 'addiction' came to an ugly head....like when I was just having a good time like everyone else....

I can remember sitting in meetings in y first year of sobriety and had the ...O heck, wait a minute...this is all my life? No booze? ever? I knew it anyway...but the V8 moment of "I (personally) will never have any control over this one area of my life, so I gotta lay it down" thing was suddenly overwhelming. Then I heard the one day at a time saying...for real that time....and it dawned on me how to use that to work for me...not just mouth the words....

Today, I will always endeavor to not pick up a drink to test the theory...even though it has been well over a decade....I know I can live without it....have proved it over and over again...and in spite of the idea that most folks New Orleans have that

FUN= ALCOHOL...in any way....I know it is not true.

At a dance or a wedding...I am just as much on the dance floor shaking what I got as the next person....and while they pass out or go to the bathroom to hug a toilet...I am just having the time of my life.

The fact that I can be a nutcase and let my hair down SOBER...while others need "liquid courage' to do so is either proof that I am fun natured and don't need the booze to have a good time...or I am CRAZY...and I am Cool with Dat!

Here is a pic of me at a New Year's Party...I am very sober....and dancing to my own song...(never follow the crowd)....Heck, I'd go off the line drunk, too...so I am really the same person after all...just without the DUI's and the hangovers and the excuses and etc. that goes with being a drunk.

168224_1647302795361_1620685570_1497847_962281_n1.jpg

I have an inner drunk, I guess!!!

Edited by teampenninglady123

Coffee. Must have coffee, or I simply can't function in the mornings.

Horses. MUST have em, or I don't bother functioning the REST of the day!

Coffee. Must have coffee, or I simply can't function in the mornings.

Horses. MUST have em, or I don't bother functioning the REST of the day!

Oz,, I'll second that thought, but I do wait until I feed my horses, before I have my morning at the computer, with my morning coffee. PD

TPL ~ I used to be at my favorite watering hole almost every day around 4:00 - 5:00 o'clock. I didn't crave alcohol, but the companionship of smart people. The beer was secondary. I used to brag that I had my own private parking spot. I was the only one wearing Wranglers as most everybody else wore suits. When the place changed hands and became a sports bar, the crowd changed also, to the Tee shirt and dirty baseball cap crowd. Using coarse language when women were around became a normal activity.

The old crowd drifted away and some died, so that was the name of that tune. I stopped going to bars and didn't like to drink at home, so I no longer drink. My daughter and granddaughter took me out for steaks on my birthday. I had a bottle of alcohol-free beer with my meal. It was good!

I had been a two-fisted drinker and a heavy smoker. I never felt addicted to either. When I was told I had lung cancer a little over a year ago, I gave up smoking. There was no ordeal about going "cold turkey" or anything like that. I simply quit. No more trips to Indiana to smuggle cartons of cigarettes, 25 -30 cartons at a time, to thwart our punitive Michigan confiscatory taxes.

Jack....convicted me BIG TIME!!!! XXOO

I do smoke...like a chimney....and I do have a hard time tearing them out of my life.....

Hubbie is a chain smoker....and the attempts to quit have all gone down the pipes....

We also are too fat as a family...and I have to have coffee.....

So, I think I just 'switched addictions" and sat on these for last decade.....

Time has long passed for me to put this in check....and I am being a brat about it.

So....TPL ain't all that when it comes to letting go of addictions....I just turned the one you get arrested for loose ( and get into brawls b/c of it)....that's all....

When I have my morning coffee, I still feel the pull of those cigarettes. However, since we moved in here at Better Homes and Gardens, a little over a year ago, I'd have to have a smoke out in the cold garage, as my wife does. Mustn't act like we own it or have any horsey decorations, which might not sit well with the BH&G crowd. This place has many things to recommend it, such as city water and sewer, central air, cable and high-speed Internet, sidewalks, curbs and paved driveways, but it doesn't feel like "home" to me. In fact, I didn't move in until the end of May, when I came home from the hospital and was forced by the rest of the family. I was content to live at our old place out in the country. I still go there every day to feed the barn cats and work on saddles. This place has an excellent dry basement, but saddle work isn't allowed here at BH&G.(sigh.....)

I gave up my beer and cigarets. I'm KEEPING my morning coffee! And the horses keep me from getting fat and lazy.