Sign in to follow this  
cleverhorse

Ziggys First Horse Show

Hey everyone! Ziggy had his very first horse show this weekend, we did 3 hack classes. I wont say how we pinned, because I'd love a critique/opinions on how he hacked before I mention ribbons... All I have to say is he was quiet, confident, composed, relaxed, mature, and AMAZING. I am SO proud of him, I can't even explain it. He's come so far, I'm all swelled up with pride over this little horse. You can turn the volume down if you don't want to listen to bystander commentary. My friends we're taking the video. Here are our 3 hacks-

Thanks for watching!

:smileywavey:

Jeeze, he looks GREAT! Wish my greenies behaved as well as he did for their first show! He looks like he's been doing it for years. You should be really proud of yourself. I love following his progress :)

I think Ziggy looks super. I hope my young horse is that quiet when I take him to his first show. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by psmitty

Maybe now would be an appropriate time to mention that the judge at this show placed us DEAD LAST in all 3 hacks. Other then the fact that I didn't jump him at this show and the judge may have been a little "old school" and not wanted to place us well in the hacks in order to keep the champ/reserve champ ribbons for the o/f horses, I CANNOT IMAGINE why she would have given us last 3x in a row. Sigh. Any ideas?

I think for his first show he looks great! I did notice his head wags a good bit at the trot, maybe this is part of why you were placed so low?

When I was taking dressage lessons my mare's head did the same thing, I was too active with my hands and she was not forward enough and it showed in her head wag. I've since learned to not only to be quieter with my hands but also that once I have proper impulsion she gets more into a self carriage then one that is assisted by me.

there were better horses in the class...it happens. He has improved a ton though, and you should still be proud of him.

^this.

He's super cool though. I love a baby that's quiet. They're my favorite!

OF COURSE I'm still proud of it. The ribbons don't mean anything to me. Just wish hunters were more like dressage in that you get feedback from the judge after your class. Otherwise you're just left to wonder...

:questionicon::confused0024:

He is my horsie soul mate and I couldn't be prouder. He's a winner to me. :yahoo:

I think getting him consistently on the bit and polishing his transitions would go a long way towards helping him place higher. I'm still curious about how he would do with some breed show type training. :P

He does look so quiet and happy for his first time out. He's a good kid.

I think getting him consistently on the bit and polishing his transitions would go a long way towards helping him place higher. I'm still curious about how he would do with some breed show type training. :P

He does look so quiet and happy for his first time out. He's a good kid.