Sign in to follow this  
LostHorseRider

Bit Of A Update

Last lesson I didn't get any pics (kinda shocking I know) but Taylor was great. We did a 2'3 oxer on the diagonal all the way around the arena to a X that when Mr. Trainer stoped putting it up was 2'6" in the middle and the sides where 4'. We did really well. Jumped the X like it was 4' a few times but I stayed on mom about had a heart atack witches caused Mr. Trainer to bust into hysterical laughter.

But I'm starting to get with him more when he jumps. So things are starting to come together. :)

Today the Chiro/Vet/osteopath/message lady looked at Taylor again. First time we treated him for a major worm problem. And she started checking him out again. And he needs 2 weeks of message/Chiro work to get his hind end right. So he is going to stay at Mr. Trainers barn 150 miles away so she can work on him.

He's worth this though I know he is. I'm giving up the truck I was looking at for him to get this stuff done. And any chance of being able to show for awhile. But we will be really solid when we get to show!

In other news we found a sweet deal with a guy to take care of his 90 acer ranch and cows. So we have been moving for the last week and a half solid. And still have a good bit of stuff to move. The horses all seem happy in there ten acer pasture (they had 3 before).

All the other horses are doing well. I need to get some pictures of my Rescue up here for you guys to see. He is 22years old Arabxlipp. He's a cool old horse.

Ok that's all I think.

How are y'all?

Edited by LostHorseRider

Im taking Versace to a jumper show (future jumpers) come march, then I'm doing a dressage/show jumping show towards the end of march. Haven't posted in a while. Im doing solid courses in a loose ring snaffle, big step up as I could barley control him at all when it came to jumping.

I have been following you and taylor for a while, good to hear the progress its motivating to me as well!

That's great to here Storey!

I am fixing to send you a message on FB as I just had huge clash of thoughts that might be of help to you and V!

Another bit of a update.

Since seeing the osteopath lady Taylor is under orders of no cantering or jumping and not a lot of trotting. So pretty much just trail riding.

So I rode a school horse in my lesson this week. When I found out it was TC I was happy since I had ridden him before (in my first lesson) he normally is saintly school horse. And pretty much a packer.

Well TC was having a bad day. Trainer thinks he's out somewhere.

We trotted around he was great. Trotted Cross rails both ways.

Picked up the right lead cantered the cross rail he was great. Cantered a little 3 stride line twice on the right lead.

Picked up the left lead and it went down hill.

He wasn't very happy about picking up the left lead. Trainer said to head over the little oxer.

TC started running at it. (it was on the diagnol) I pulled him away from it trainer said "good choice just canter him around the ring"

He kicked out and hopped around the short side. Got the the long side and cantered sideways kicking out.

Trainer was baffled that he was being like that.

Walked him around trotted and was never calm like he was at the start of the lesson. We trotted the Cross rail a few times he was fine. We cantered around the ring again with some acting up.

But over all it was a flop.

Mom had a good lesson on another schoollie.

And Taylor was going to go to the osteopath lady yesterday. But she's not ready yet. So idk when he's going..

I just want my horse..I'm not getting along very well with most of our other horses. And Jaspers still not up to par. He gets out there and wants to be himself. But then he is like omg I caint do it..

sorry to hear your lesson wasn't up to par. i hate when you have those bad lesson days. we've all had one.

One of my lessons i fell off twice within a matter of a 30 min period. yeah, that day wasn't good.

I'll update more latter as I'm at the rodeo now. But the osteopath lady broke my heart. And Dr. Honnas stitched it back together....

So to make a painfully long story a bit shorter...

Tuesday my sister won us tickets to the rodeo and Trace Adkins. So while all this was going on I was stuck in Houston. And mom took care of my boy and did all this for my boy.

I took Taylor to trainers barn so this "osteopath" lady could work on him wendsday. She starts doing a full check over him and gets to his back refuses to touch him again saying he is MISSING vertebra.

Mom went picked him up and headed to Texas Equine.

They worked him in. He flexed tested sound as can be on all 4 legs. They X-rayed his back.

Kissing spine.

23f1b6c4.jpg

10bce6c9.jpg

9df22131.jpg

9737a58f.jpg

96f8d4c1.jpg

They injected his back. 4 days bute and rest. And if he's not tender anymore to start riding him. Get him legged up and fit. Do surgery. Rest for 4 months. Start all over again.

No more jumping for Taylor.

I'm reaching to my endurance buddys for help on getting him fit. And I have a starting plan for it.

Just wanted to update y'all.

:)

Sorry to hear, Dr.H diagnosed the old horse I rode named Cheval( the black horse in my profile pic) with the same thing. Unfortunately for him he could no longer jump anymore, his back legs gave out when dr.H palpated his back. It wasn't fair to continue jumping him, so trainer and I decided it was best to give him back to his old owners. He is now in KY living out in a huge pasture. He physically started to show signs by rearing, side stepping, bolting at the canter cue, dirty stopping every jump possible, knocking out a girls tooth smacking her head with his head over a jump, by dancing when putting the saddle on and going nuts when tightening the girth. We tried the back injections as well and the did not help at all. We were going to do his hocks, but Dr.H said there was no need to waste the money, he would still have the same problem.

Hopefully for taylor the back injections will work, its hard with back injections because you cant get into a real joint like you can for hocks or stifles etc, so the injection is more so going around the back bone and muscles. At least this is what I picked up with he was explaining how back injections are a guessing game, and thats why the sometimes don't work.

keeping my fingers crossed! He was a really nice match for you! One thing that you can look into maybe, if you are really serious about him is having a custom fit saddle for you and him. It will distribute your weight evenenlly on his back, it can be made have a wider channel so it doesn't touch his back bone and free up his shoulders, fit his withers, as well as making sure its not past his last rib. Thinline pads are very good as well, they take away the shock from rider and saddle as well as help you from getting the shock from him. Just thoughts, hope for the best!

Thank you Storey!

The only signs he has showed is bucking sometimes at the canter or he would get bolty and if he jumped in that bolty mode he would buck after the jump. And he's slightly stiff/not reaching with his hind end.

He has never showed pain from palpating his back and didn't when Dr. H did ether.

Even if after the surgery he says he can jump again. I'm not going to. If the injections dont work..I don't know what I will do but I won't let him be in pain..it's not fair.

He has given me all he could and never let me down. And I will give him everything I can to.

If all this works. I plan on getting a custom saddle. But it's going to be a endurance saddle. Not a jumping one...

I remember about Chevel.

Edited by LostHorseRider

So sorry Shelb. I got your message with the xrays in it on FB but I've been busy today...didn't get a chance to reply. They sure do look ouchy.

I'm glad you're staying with him on this though. If he's sound on that flat that's awesome! I know how good of a trail horse he's been for you as well as a hunter in the making. This could be a lot of fun for him :) especially if he's managed correctly.

Chris I couldn't even think about not staying with him. I have not bonded with a horse like I have with him in a long time. A very long time.

He is just as at home on the trails as he is in the ring.

We will see what this next week holds for us. :)

yay! good to hear he still has a job! Endurance is fun, I only know about it through the barefoot trimmers around here as that is a lot of endurance rider goals is to be able to ride barefoot or with boots. Some of the top riders are barefoot, really neat they can do all of the sharp rock climbs, and roads without missing a step!

You could always get into dressage with him, the shows are really fun to do as well. At pine hill during the Horse trials you can do the dressage tests for $20 and they score you as if you were showing.

Edited by storey

A lot of horses have x-rays for "kissing spine" but very few actually seem to be affected by it.

Are you sure his cantering/bucking after a jump was pain or behavioral? That reaction after a jump is not that uncommon and being stiff in his hind end is also common for a horse his age. Just a thought before you do all these surgeries.

Fred..that is why we injected his back. To see if that's where the issue is coming from.

Did you look at the X-rays above? He is mainly wanting to do the surgery on the 2 rubbing together.

This horse has so much heart that he would give me as much as he could. But instead of getting better threw the ride the longer we rode the worse he got at the canter only.

No where did I say surgery was a sure thing I said that's what the VET wants to do. And he's not one to put a horse threw unnessacary surgery/treatment.

Storey-there are a LOT of endurance riders around this area to. It's a lot of fun. Good people and good times.

I thought about dressage. And all horses should have bases in it. But it's not my cup of tea lol :)

being stiff in his hind end is also common for a horse his age.

Wait...since when is it commen for a 8 year old to be stiff in the hind end?

I have that spiral bound book "Stretching for horses" it has lots of good stuff in it! As well as stuff to do US to help stretch out as well. I think you are in very good hands with dr.H only people who have been to him or know of him can only truly understand what kind of vet/friend/person he is.

Storey I will look for that book!

And you are 100% right about Dr. H. Him and Dr. S both are such good vets and amazing people. Everyone up there Is awesome.

We just left the clinic. Dr. S pulled up the X-rays and told me all about everything. We took them some cookies and other goodies witch they swarmed us for.

The plan is to get him fit. Get a barn up at the house or find a stall nearby for him. And do the surgery.

So I got to really ride him for the first time today since the injections. I have been longing him but have been to bust to ride (getting home just before dark. I can get lunge work in but by the time I would be saddled it would be dark)

He did really good. We where out at the ranch and there was a lot of stuff going on and he is just a champ about it. While there where horses going nuts left and right. He just keeps his focus on work. It felt so good to be back on him. I feel at home on him :)

I'm going back out tommorow to ride with some trail buddys.

Everyone who meets Taylor just falls in love with the big guy.

And I have talked to a lot of people about him and his back and we are going to do the surgery on his back. Late summer or early fall.

And the best news yet! After all the rehab he can go back to jumping!!