RodeoCowgirl504

Stolen Horse Wis/iowa-This Is My Horse!

Fishy or not (And I think not) No one has the right to sell something that does not belong to them. Who cares what the family circumstances were? It is irrelevant to getting the horse back, which is what this post is about.

This is simply a post about trying to get a horse back. If you have nothing to offer to help then don?t say anything. She didn?t ask for anyone?s opinion her family situation. She only wants her horse back.

Now back to the topic. OP you have a PM. I can post the pic if you want.

Grace

Equi - I'm not disputing your points at all. Hindsight 20/20 I suppose. I know I've made mistakes and she has made mistakes and I'm not entirely blaming her. At this time, I'm just trying to be sure she went to a private buyer and not a kill truck at the very least. I just want the peace of mind of that and I don't think that is too much to ask.

My reply didn't show up...I'll try again..all things aside, I really hope you find your horse, I'm sure you're sick with worry.. I'm sure everyone here is praying for you horse's safe return.

Edited by equicrzy

No one has the right to sell something that does not belong to them. Who cares what the family circumstances were? It is irrelevant to getting the horse back...

OP, have you contacted NETPOSSE.COM yet?

Rodeo Cowgirl,:huggy:

Sorry for what you have been forced to through, do hope you locate your mare,. Sending good thoughts & good Vibes. Best Wishes. PD :angel3: :angel3:

I have been informed by both my Mother and my Grandmother that if I continue any type of police investigation or press charges that my other horses will be sold. 2 out of the 3 left are currently on the property and THOSE horses (not this one that was actually sold without my permission ironically) where purchased in part by both of them as I was much younger then (11 and 16 respectively) so therefore they actually do have the right to do that whether it's morally wrong or not and whether or not I have been paying for their care. I won't have a legal leg to stand on with them I'm afraid. This is also why I can't just up and move the boys off of my Mother's property without her permission.

THIS WHOLE SITUATION IS JUST VERY FRUSTRATING!!! Here is the general break down:

Cody & Okie are currently on my Mother's property and where purchased for me when I was a minor. They are my rodeo horses and I've had them both for many years. Slurpie (my BS paint) is currently off of that property, I purchased her myself when I was 18 and keep her elsewhere so she is completely in the clear. Classie (the horse this post is about) I traded for when I was 19, and was not anyone else's horse or purchased by anyone else.

Sooo...I'm feeling stuck. Do I continue on pressing charges and searching for her and risk my boys or do I just fold in the cards on this one and give up to protect them? This is so difficult since it is family and other than this my Mom has helped me a lot. I am FURIOUS with her for this and still very worried about Classie but I just don't know what the best decision is. Can I still contact NetPosse even if I don't actually go through with pressing charges? Help please :( I would really like to find a way to locate this mare just to make sure she is safe. I just don't know how to approach the situation.

On a SLIGHTLY better note: My Mom had made a comment via text yesterday that she was going to bill me for the electric bill & the equine liability policy. I'm already paying for all of their maintenance and care expenses mind you. I was able to actually calmly speak to her on the phone last night and I explained that while I don't believe she's wrong in asking me to pay those expenses because they are horse related that if I am going to have to pay that much money I feel it would be best for me to take the horses to a boarding facility even if she feels the need to approve it first. This is for several reasons. I don't have an arena at my Mom's and if I'm going to be spending more I may as well be at a nicer facility. I also feel like it would be a lot better on our family relationships if we are going to have one. In addition between work and school I am a very busy person so at this point it would take some stress off of me as well to have that type of situation. She actually did agree to my points and didn't get mad so maybe she will be amicable to that change. I'm hoping I can get her to agree to it because I feel like it would be easier for me to pursue tracking down Classie if they are at a boarding stable somewhere where I have signed the contract considering I do pay all the bills and the contract would be in my name. Am I correct or no?

If the horses still legally belong to your Mother, it doesn't matter where you keep them, she can legally go get them whenever she sees fit. If you want to be the one in charge of these horses, then you need to purchase them from the current owener. Purchase price can be $1 if that is what you agree to, but if your Mom owns the horses, she owns them. Totally different story than what you are looking at with Classie, who legally belonged/belongs to you.

Frankly, your Mom has something to threaten you with now. She is in possession of something you want to protect, and has now proven to you that she WILL take extreme measures if she is so inclined.

I realize it probably isn't practical advice, but I would say you either need to buy these horses, or cut off all responsibility for them (including all financial support).

Good luck. Sorry you are in such a messy scenario.

I realize it probably isn't practical advice, but I would say you either need to buy these horses, or cut off all responsibility for them (including all financial support).

This was my thought as well... Maybe the agreement is that you agree not to pursue legal action for Classie while you get ownership of the boys. Once you get that bill of sale, I'd move them that instant.

She's got you in a bit of a hard place, it's all up to you in how you want to pursue it.

You always have the ability if she chooses to sell the boys out from under you to get a friend to buy them for you.

Agreed, and it is a very horrible place to be in. As long as I have contact with the boys I will be the one to care for them and provide for them even if it comes back to bite me in the end. I already have a plan for someone to buy them if they come up for sale and my Mom really likes both of them so I don't even suspect that but AM prepared for it. I do honestly believe she'd be hard pressed to prove ownership as would I because the papers on them where NOT transferred (and in fact Cody's have long ago been lost). All vet work, coggins, etc is in my name and paid for by me. So I don't know how any of that would go legally and quite frankly I sincerely hope I don't have to. I think at this point she is going to let me move them and I suspect when this all blows over (which will be awhile, I can not simply just forgive her for this one unfortanetly) she may sign them over to me because quite frankly she doesn't want to be responsible for them and I hate the fact that it could end up in court. Id prefer to completely have control over them: off her property, in my name, all financial responsibility is mine, etc. Anyways, that's my vent for the moment. Thank you for the support and advice. This situation just sucks. I feel like if I DON'T continue to search for her I will regret it but if I lose all of them over looking for her I'll regret it more. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound heartless. I am still trying to look for her but I just don't think I can actually press the charges without totally screwing myself over in ALL aspects not just the horses (family, I work in a family business so it would completely affect my finances which would then affect my horse ownership/care/etc) BLAHHHHHHHHH!~!!!

Honestly, I wouldn't move them without them being in your name. She's crossed the line, it's time to finish the game.

If you move them, and she gets upset again, she has the power to take them back. Papers or no, it's you against her, and sounds like your gma is on her side. You can contact the registry and ask for a duplicate copy of the papers, then you'll need to get a new transfer from the previous owners.

I know you don't want to rock the boat at the moment, but if the relationship between the two of you is ever going to heal, you need to get clear cut definition on who owns whom, and if that's you, they need to be in your name.

sweetie, i'm so sorry to hear about this whole convoluted situation and i'd be worried crazy about the mare too. but i'm just wondering since you're as busy as you say you are, what are you doing with all these horses, and when on earth do you find the time to ride them all given your schedule?

I know you said you are financially responsible for them but who handles the daily care for them??

I know you said you are financially responsible for them but who handles the daily care for them??

She said earlier in the thread that all but 2 nights she handles care.

nick, to answer your question...at the moment it is winter in WIS and since I don't even have an indoor I rarely ride due to ice. During the summer (when it is not prom season -job related- and I am not taking college classes at all) I typically ride in the mornings when it's cool since I don't work at the store until 11am. I also get off work early 1 or 2 nights a week and haul to one of the local barrel races when I can. I can usually keep that up throughout the fall. I am able to plan my work schedule around my school and horse activities for the most part.

Apps, thanks for the suggestions. You've been very helpful. I think since we where able to talk reasonably and not argue last night (fyi- I did not even bring up the mare. I only talked to her about my reasoning on moving the boys which she was amicable too) I will bring up her signing them over to me and whether I will have to purchase them or not the next time I speak to her.

'RodeoCowgirl504' ~

I have been informed by both my Mother and my Grandmother that if I continue any type of police investigation or press charges that my other horses will be sold.

---

So, your family is THREATENING YOU WITH BLACKMAIL? Awesome job, Mom, Grandma. What a way to feel-the-love, huh? Awesome.

I'd tell both of them to take a flying leap at a rolling donut and walk away.

I don't give a FIG how much your mother has helped you over the years, what she recently did to you and your horse was WRONG and how she is handling it now is WRONG, too.

Do you understand that? She is THREATENING you with those horses! ***! 'You better love and obey me ... or else!' *** is that? Come on!

Girl ... grab your woo-hoo, stand up and tell Mom and Gram they are wrong and that you won't allow them to control you in such a reprehensible manner. Then walk away.

'RodeoCowgirl504' ~

Sooo...I'm feeling stuck. Do I continue on pressing charges and searching for her and risk my boys or do I just fold in the cards on this one and give up to protect them?

---

The truth? I'll warn you, it's gonna hurt: Your 'boys' are not yours. They are your Mom's and she's got you over a barrel. You cannot protect them any more than you were able to protect yourself and your own horse from your Mother's illegal machinations.

But no, you do not have to press charges. That may satisfy your bia of a controlling mother ... but there is NO REASON why you cannot continue to aggresively search for Classy if you really care about her.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, your relationship with your Mother and Grandmother has been ruined by them and will never be the same.

How could you *ever* trust them again?

Believe me, you will *never* forget how they trampled all over your feelings, your rights regarding your legal property and your love.

'RodeoCowgirl504' ~

Can I still contact NetPosse even if I don't actually go through with pressing charges? Help please :( I would really like to find a way to locate this mare just to make sure she is safe. I just don't know how to approach the situation.

---

Pull your head out of your butt and make a list:

1. Contact NetPosse and get this information OUT THERE to find your mare.

That?s it. ^^^ That?s all you need on that list!

Legal charges are a separate matter from engaging NetPosse to help you relocate YOUR stolen mare. The two are not related unless you want them to be.

If Mom/Gram have a fit, have one right back! What they did was/is illegal. PERIOD. There IS no arguing with that.

****, threaten them right back! Tell them they better sell/sign those two rodeo horses' ownership over to you or you *will* pursue charges over the theft of Classie!

If they argue about ?damaging family relationships? remind them they started that dance, you're just dancing to the tune they called. Tell ?em they better get Two Steppin? or they'll fall behind.

'RodeoCowgirl504' ~

On a SLIGHTLY better note: My Mom had made a comment via text yesterday that she was going to bill me for the electric bill & the equine liability policy. I'm already paying for all of their maintenance and care expenses mind you.

---

You think the above information was better, even if only slightly better?

I respectfully remind you that these are not YOUR horses.

Tell her unless she wishes to sell/sign them over to you, you will not be paying for anything other than their basic care while you are able to have use of them. Be certain to make sure she understands the ?have use of them' part of your stipulation.

Your family is USING these horses to CONTROL you.

That is not love.

That is not respect.

Both of those things are now GONE from that relationship (by their actions alone, NOT yours!) and all that is left to do is for you to mourn the loss of your family.

You owe them NOTHING now that they?ve shown you how vile they can be.

Heidi, I'm not going to comment back on the family issue since while they are severely frustrating me and I know they are blackmailing me with the only thing that they have over my head I will not continually run their names through the dirt. I refuse to sink to their childish level on this. The only reason I even mentioned family was involved was in hopes everyone would understand that this situation is a bit touchier than just "omg someone stole my mare out of my pasture when I wasn't home". I will admit trusting them after this may never happen and I certainly will NOT forget this. Thank you for letting me know that I can contact NetPosse without actually filing those charges. I briefly looked over it when she first came up missing but in my upset state (not that I'm not upset now, but am more clear thinking) I took it to be ONLY for theft and with charges filed. I'll look at it again.

ANYONE who would like a copy of the poster to post in their area or local auctions PLEASE PM me with your email or I can give you my FB info and it is posted there. I have posters going to Belle Plain and Waukon this weekend as well as people to keep an eye out for her.

Thanks again.

Ugh. You shoulda seen me pounding my keyboard to get that all typed out!

I swear, electric sizzles were shootin' out my fingertips. And maybe my ears, too. :angry:

... no comment re: family issue <snip> I will not continually run their names through the dirt. I refuse to sink to their childish level on this.

...I took it to be ONLY for theft and with charges filed. I'll look at it again.

Well, I guess I should caution you then, because I just assumed NetPosse wouldn't have cared about reports/charges filed and I may be wrong about that. I do know people can file a theft report and also choose to not press charges against the perpetrators. The only time the victim does NOT have that power of choice is through Domestic Violence and/or Molestation. Even if the victim pleads for no charges, it is up to law enforcement to decide whether to press charges or not.

As to your family, let ME run their names through the dirt. :happy0203: Ugh, they've got me so mad at them for you. Totally respect not lowering yourself to their mob-type threats.

I think my knee-jerk response is: if you poke my eye I'll poke yours right back.

Heidi, can you be my adopta-Mom? :notworthy:

Thank you, that is very sweet. ...but as I keep telling my own Mother: I'm not having kids, only kittens. :winking:

h =^..^=

I'm confused.. help me out here, to understand all of this....

So, technically, the horses's papers are not in your mom or grandma's names, and all of their vet work is in your name, and you're the one caring for them and paying for everything for them... then tell me again how your mom owns them? :questionicon:

Seems to me that either they're yours or you've already paid your mom for them by paying for all of their care. I'd remind her of that.... you could always ask for her to reimburse you for the money you've put into the care of HER horses or officially give you the horses in exchange. :confused0024:

Okay...I'm not totally sure on this but:

1) The horse in question is in your name. Therefore, you should pursue legal action and contact netposse, etc.

2) The other horses are not yours. You either A) buy them, move them and pay for them or B) stop paying for them.

3) You need to pull your own weight for your own things. I can't recall the whole deal, but don't you owe a board buddy a thousand dollars or more? Perhaps you should consider getting your stuff together and moving on without depending on family/friends. People cannot control you when you are in control of yourself.

Go to school, get an education, start over. Do what you have to do. But get out from under this.

I'm confused.. help me out here, to understand all of this....

So, technically, the horses's papers are not in your mom or grandma's names, and all of their vet work is in your name, and you're the one caring for them and paying for everything for them... then tell me again how your mom owns them? :questionicon:

Seems to me that either they're yours or you've already paid your mom for them by paying for all of their care. I'd remind her of that.... you could always ask for her to reimburse you for the money you've put into the care of HER horses or officially give you the horses in exchange. :confused0024:

Look at it like a car. I own a car, but I let me friend use it. My friend has to purchase her own gas, change the oil, get new tires, replace the brakes when they are worn out..... but it is still my car. Doesn't matter that she is paying for the upkeep of it, that is the price of usage.

Heidi... 1st.. :notworthy: and 2nd.. you owe me a monitor.. coffee through the nose REALLY burns... LOVEDthe woo hoo comment. That one is going to have me loling for days.

TO the op.. Question for you. If the people that did this to you were not family. Would you continue to have them in your life AND let them run it????

As a mom of kids older than you...

... does your mother realize what could happen to your mare as a result of you NOT looking for her????

Does she have any grasp what could happen to the mare as a result of being run through an auction without papers?

Are you really willing to let this go?

I'm sorry. I'm unashamedly anti-slaughter, and I wish it weren't me rubbing salt in the wound, but I am pretty certain that I'd call her hand. I'd be telling her in excrutiating detail what your mare might be going through (or have gone though) and I'd make no mistakes about it, no negotiating with terrorists.

Sorry... Just had to get that off my chest.

As a mom of kids older than you...

... does your mother realize what could happen to your mare as a result of you NOT looking for her????

Does she have any grasp what could happen to the mare as a result of being run through an auction without papers?

Are you really willing to let this go?

I'm sorry. I'm unashamedly anti-slaughter, and I wish it weren't me rubbing salt in the wound, but I am pretty certain that I'd call her hand. I'd be telling her in excrutiating detail what your mare might be going through (or have gone though) and I'd make no mistakes about it, no negotiating with terrorists.

Sorry... Just had to get that off my chest.

At least there is a 30 day hold at slaughter facilities.