RodeoCowgirl504

Stolen Horse Wis/iowa-This Is My Horse!

I'm shaking I'm so upset right now. I keep 3 horses at my Mom's house and she had been badgering me on and off to get rid of this mare for awhile but usually only when she was upset about something else or whatnot so I never took her seriously. She went behind my back to send on a truck to an auction somewhere in IOWA this morning! I do not know what auction but she THINKS it was "today"- I believe it may be Waukon this weekend? My heads spinning I don't know what to do. I did call the police and they stated she needs to get me the auction info by tomorrow.

Here's her info:

Reg. Name: Smart Peppy Coco Kay (I have her papers)

Barn Name: Classie

She's about 14.2 very stocky build looks black or black bay in color with a long tail and fairly long main, both rears have socks, and she has a funny little squiggley down her face (very thin).

I will try to get a pic on here tomorrow but I have no idea how. If someone could give me an email address I can send them one?

Bumping this up. I talked to a woman at Kalona. The officer said that the name of who took her to the sale needed to be provided to me today. Thus far, I am having issues with that aspect of things as my Mom is not providing it to me. If she doesn't by this evening I will contact the officer again when he is on duty and see if he can get the information for me from her. The woman at Kalona told me to email the missing horse poster to her and she will see if anyone recognizes her in the meantime.

A friend of mine talked to the guy at Waukon and he said to send him posters too. He will keep an eye out for her this weekend.

Some other friends of mine are taking some posters to Belle Plain this weekend.

Is there someone I can send a poster or her photos too so I can put them up here?

I hope you get your horse back, I'd be frantic,which I'm sure you are. By the way, why won't your mom

give you the info you need?

I hope you get your horse back, I'd be frantic,which I'm sure you are. By the way, why won't your mom

give you the info you need?

Because she's the one who had her shipped.

Here is more info that I originally wrote on BHW in order, I don't want to type it all again:

Ok, here's the deal. The other 2 horses ARE safe. She loves them and flat out told me in front of the cop they where fine there. I will however probably deal w/ this later. She sold this one because she doesn't personally like her and thinks she's a loon. She came from a bad situation and definately has her moments. This freaks me out even more because I'm guessing they ran her through loose as a kill horse AND at the moment she's seperated from her AQHA papers making her grade.

I've been trying to contact my Mom's cousin as he is the one who arranged for shipment. My Mom tried to call them in front of the officer and he didn't answer. Supposedly I will have that information in the morning. As soon as I have the name to whoever took her to the auction I can call Kalona and hopefully they will then be able to help me.

I'm trying to calm down and be rational but this is hard. I'm not so paniced that she is gone as I had tossed around the idea on whether I should cut back or not BUT I AM ADAMENT THAT I FIND HER AND SHE'S NOT HEADED TO SLAUGHTER! That is my primary concern right now is just that she is safe!

A friend of mine is working on a flyer tonight so I can link to here, Fb, etc

Oh and the papers, I have her papers, copy of transfer report, sale contract, etc. I just have to locate it tonight (its somewhere in my desk Im sure)

The officer I dealt w/ tonight is considering it civil and said I would need the paperwork (reg papers etc) proving ownership and that he would then send it to the DA if I choose to press charges. I stated that if I get my horse back I don't want a family feud BUT if I don't I will press the charges and take her to court. I do have a case #.

QUOTE:

well I really hate to be the one to say this but honey its true, and I preach it to my students too......you have got to get a good education and be responsible to get a great job (to have your OWN place) so that you do not have to run into these situations....I honestly feel sorry for you, but im sure your mother has her side of the story also, and I really dont think its fair to her that your on here talking only one sided....AND these moms on here im sure know there is another side as well...... remember the phrase "my roof, my rules"........I really am sorry that your horse is gone but i really cant see any mother doing that without a serious reason....if your 18 then your on your own, and if your under 18 its their rules...did your mom buy this horse? were you paying board, or was mom and dad paying for them??? your leaving alot out of the story......

I really don't find this to be relevant to this post as I am simply reaching out for any ideas on getting my horse back. I'm not trying to start a huge family feud over it, but I'll answer your questions anyways. I am 21, almost 22, have been off the farm for 2.5 yrs but still keep my horses there. I have 2 jobs and am going to college. I can and do afford my horses. I cover all expenses including grain, farrier, vet, wormers, any tack needs, etc. I care for them every night except the 2 that I am in school per our agreement. She did it because she doesn't like her. She did NOT buy the horse, I traded a horse I owned for her. I have her papers, coggins from last yr are in my name, etc. The vet bills come in my name. I do not pay "board" but I do handle all horse expenses. There's "the rest of the story"...

I talked to a woman at kalona. She said if I can find out who hauled her in she'd be happy to help me. I am having trouble getting that info but in the meantime I've emailed her the missing horse poster a friend made last night to see if she recognizes her. Devin is out of town until tomorrow.

My Mother won't provide me the info so I told her that the officer is contacting me tonight to get a copy of her registration papers and if I don't have the name of who took her there by then I will bring it up to the officer.

WiBarrelGirl talked to Ron at Waukon and he will keep an eye out for her. Some rodeo friends of mine are taking posters and will look for her at Belle Plain.

Not a lot, but it's something I guess. At this point I'm mostly concerned with making sure she's not slaughter bound. I'm having horrible nightmares about it :(

I have to wait until the officer I dealt with lastnight comes on duty and then hopefully he will deal with the cousin and/or Mom. He's a complete idiot though (i.e. is a country officer and did NOT know horses need coggins to haul- he admitted he has almost no knowledge of equine law! lovely!)

Have you spoken to your cousin and he will not give you info? or will he not return your call? I would contact him and tell him that, in no uncertain terms, he will be prosecuted for theft of property if he is not forthcoming with information regarding the horse. Charging your mother is somewhat ?iffy? but he is NOT immediate family and took ?Your? possession without YOUR express consent????

I called him. He said he is not at liberty to disclose the info (read: he is my Mom's secretary and is probably worried about his job). I told him the officer said the info needs to be provided to me and if I do not have it by 4pm today I will contact the officer again and have him contact both the cousin and my mother for the info. He's not my cousin, he's my mothers. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY HAD MY PERMISSION TO MOVE THE HORSE.

Also, as far as I am aware she did not have a 2011 coggins or a state health certificate. Can I push that angle at all?

SORRY if some of that doesn't make sense.

:huggy: I am so sorry to hear about this. I can tell that you are frantic to find her and I hope you do. I know at the sale in Belle Plain, if a horse comes in without a Coggins, they can hold it for testing, but I am not sure if they have to hold it. Hopefully, that could slow things down. I doubt the horse is going to Belle Plain as their sale is the first week-end of the month, I think. Lots of hugs and good wishes coming your way that this all turns out well for you.

I am so sorry. It sucks when people hold your horse over your head like that. You're going to HAVE to get your other horses out of there no matter the outcome of this. You have to either rehome them or find a way to support yourself and them.

I am SO sorry.

I am so sorry. It sucks when people hold your horse over your head like that. You're going to HAVE to get your other horses out of there no matter the outcome of this. You have to either rehome them or find a way to support yourself and them.

I am SO sorry.

Roo, those horses have been in the family for roughly 8 yrs and 11 yrs I believe. She said right in front of the officer she doesn't care if they stay she just didn't like her and thought she was crazy. Will be working on that though also.

I believe at this point a family feud is unavoidable, and your mother is the one provoking it. It would be one thing to tell you she doesn't like the horse and would prefer it be gone and you have xx days to do so.

It's another to put it on a trailer bound for possible slaughter. And then refuse to give you any information.

Family and all - I would pursue the law to the full extent, and move the other horses.

You're going to HAVE to get your other horses out of there no matter the outcome of this.

She said ... she doesn't care if they stay ...

IMO, the *reason* 'Roo stated you are going to HAVE to move/re-home your horses off the family farm is because there is a distinctly high probability that "family relations" will be severely damaged (if not outright destroyed) over this mess your Mom created and you may be unable or unwilling to keep them there after the dust finally settles.

Because she's the one who had her shipped.

Well, I know that, but, why is your mom so mad at you, she'd do something like that? That's really a low blow.

Roo, those horses have been in the family for roughly 8 yrs and 11 yrs I believe. She said right in front of the officer she doesn't care if they stay she just didn't like her and thought she was crazy. Will be working on that though also.

Anyone, and I do mean ANYONE who did something like this to me would be on the fast track to my sh!t list. Mother or not she would be prosecuted to the FULLEST extent of the law and then would never see me OR my remaining horses ever again.

You need to move those other horses NOW. Anyone vindictive enough to this can not be trusted to not repeat it in the future should the mood so strike her.

Unreal. :shocked:

wow. Just wow. I'm so sorry you're going throug all of this, it's just awful! Like some of the others have said, I think you should move the other horses ASAP. Sure, your mom may have said she didn't mind the others being there, but SO WHAT??? If this goes south and your relationship with your mom is affected, what is stopping her from getting mad enough to do the same thing to the other horses? NOTHING. So sorry and I hope you get your horse back.

When this is over with I highly suggest freeze branding your horses.

Quote From WiBarrelGirl on BHW (who did have this mare temporarily between trading someone else and then me aquiring her):

As far as sides of the story, I can give you an outsider view, looking in.

Classie was originally my horse. I got her in trade for putting some time on two other horses. She was abused as a baby and her current owner just felt she did not have the time or knowledge to work her past her issues and make her rideable. She is a nice mare overall, with decent conformation and papers so I intended on putting some time on her and seeing what she became.

A couple weeks after getting her I found out I was pregnant and was no longer able to continue training horses and due to her unpredictability from her abusive past she was a hazard for me to be around while pregnant. The OP liked her and I traded her for her laid back, old seasoned horse that I was able to ride while pregnant.

Fast forward to this past summer and I was no longer able to keep said horse due to finances, etc. OP wanted him back as he has been in the family for many, many years and was her HS Rodeo horse, etc. I was going to take Classie back and hauled the old gelding down to them and intended on loading Classie up and taking her home with me. The mare would not load into my two horse trailer, we tried for hours. She will, however load into a stock trailer. So I left horseless intending to come back with a stock trailer.

On my way home I thought about her unpredictablity and the way she flipped herself over multiple times instead of loading and realized she was not a horse I wanted around my children who go with me to the barn or around the barn owners grand daughters. I called the OP and told her I did not want the horse and that if they wanted me to come get her I would be selling her.

Well that was a good 6 months ago. I was told the OP didnt want me to come get her, she had grown attached and wanted to keep her. I said that was fine and GAVE her the mare. SHE has her papers.

Fast forward again to last Fri. I get a call from OP mother asking when Im coming to get Classie. I tell her that I had already informed OP I didnt want the horse and I had assumed she had discussed this with her mom, etc. as I had heard nothing in months.

Mother informs me that if I dont come get her she will be leaving either way. I assumed by that she meant she would be telling OP to get the horse off her property. OP's mother tells me horse will be leaving Monday, I assume, again, OP is aware of this and is moving the mare to another barn to board her.

Turns out OP's mother put her on a trailer to Iowa for an auction.

I can say I DO see both sides. If OP's mother did not want the horse on her property, that is her right. However I find it WRONG to ship the horse off to a sale without giving any actual notice to the OP that she wants the horse gone by a certain date. OP does OWN THIS HORSE. That is not to be mistaked. OP has the mares papers and all legal rights to her. The main concern at this point is just finding out if the mare is on a kill truck or not.

I can also say that I have known the OP for several years and had the OP's mother told Op that she wanted the mare gone by Mon. morning (when she shipped horse off) OP would have moved the horse. She has several options on where to take her.

People, all I am trying to do is locate my mare. The only reason I posted this is for ideas regarding ways to track her down because I have not personally dealt with any type of situation with horse theft or horses being sold without the owners consent before. Regardless of your opinion of me or the situation I am simply asking for ideas from those have either been in a situation like this or dealt with something similar.

If I were you, I'd call the auction and tell them your horse was stolen, I would guess they would look at the sales that match your horse and act on that.

I would have called every auction possible and let them know, as around here an auction barn doesn't want anything to do with a stolen horse, they would not accecpt it for sale.

Sending a flyer to post is a slim chance if the horse was sold. Auctions generally note a description "bay mare, broke" "grey stallion, loose horse" something like that. You need to call the auctions and ask if a horse matching yours was sold.

It is unfortunate, Good Luck

RodeoCowgirl504 - Good luck finding your mare.

something smells fishy here.

:rotf: That coming from you is comical!!!

You did say, your mom has been after you for quite some time to move that one horse, maybe you SHOULD have, even if she did then say, it was okay to keep her there.

If every time she got upset with you, she told you to move her, to ME, means, she really wanted that horse GONE.

I don't think what she did was right and I hope you find her, but, I think your mom made her feelings regarding that horse quite clear...she wanted her gone.

Equi - I'm not disputing your points at all. Hindsight 20/20 I suppose. I know I've made mistakes and she has made mistakes and I'm not entirely blaming her. At this time, I'm just trying to be sure she went to a private buyer and not a kill truck at the very least. I just want the peace of mind of that and I don't think that is too much to ask.