gingerpie98

Breeding A Short Horse To A Tall Stallion

So while I was stallions searching I ran across an Frisian and an Andalusian stallion that were both between 16.2 and 17.2 hands tall. Ginger is 14.3, is there a problem with breeding a short mare to a tall stallion? Now my understanding has been that the mare will not carry a foal that her uterus cannot handle. Which would mean that there shouldn't be a problem, but I wanted your opinions. Thanks.

Well if doing live cover there could certainly be problems... I think you can.. assume why. Not only is there "angle" issues, but the stallion could simply be too big (his size and the size of what he's doing the job with).

Also while the mare has been shown to reduce the size in utero the size of the foal, there still can definitely be birthing complications. A big foal is just that. And can cause tearing, get stuck, etc even in breeds that aren't any bigger than each other.

Just some things to think on.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for the reasons DM said. I think the couple should be similar in size.

I've seen many smaller arabs bred to larger andalusians with no complications. In fact, that is a very popular cross. I honestly wouldn't worry too much. I've also seen overly large foals born from similarly sized parents. Just be careful with your feeding program and don't over feed your mare which could contribute to a larger foal.

~stars

I saw an absolutely drop dead gorgeous Arab/Fresian cross at Horsefest this weekend. I didn't ask which parent was which tho.

My horse was created with AI - Sire is 18 hand Belgian and dam is 15.2 hand Thoroughbred. He's just turned 6 and he measured 17.3 last year sometime. His full brother and sister (older than him by one and two years, respectively) are both 16.2.

My old trainer is a pony breeder. They did AI with her fancy Welsh mare that's 13.1 to a warmblood stallion (Holsteiner I believe it was) of 17 hands. Resulting horse is 15.2 right now at 3 (coming 4) years old. They don't think he will be getting much bigger.

Breeding two horses of ANY size is full of risk. Equine dystocia is rarely--and I'll say rarely, not never--the cause of fetal-maternal mismatching as frequency happens with cattle. Equine dystocia is a result of limb and neck conformation. Long & spindly resulting in malpositioning, rather than the size issue, and that happens with equal sized dam & sire.

The size of the uterus will dictate the size of the foal. Foals with the genetics for height are typically small at birth and then catch up once they're on the ground. Regardless of the size of the parents, there is always a risk. Plenty of pony mares bred to full-sized stallions that never have a problem.

Thanks for everyones advice I feel better about doing this if in a few years the money is available to. And depending on how Ginger handles the first foal.

I believe the cross would be extraordinary. I am really liking the Andalusian that I have been looking at.

Thanks Again for your advice.

Meeks there are several:

Templar M is a bay Andalusian

donadio H is a grey Andalusian

Kefir IX is a light grey Andalusian

Brio is a Bay Azteca

Saphiro is a Cremello Lusitano

Lavarre is Grey Andalusian/Swedish Warmblood

Then there are the Friesians

Hessel and Zeus