Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Broodmare Question

My mare is a proven broodmare. She is a registered AQHA and has some nice lines and conformation. But, from what I was told she has had four foals already. She is 13 years old.

How many foals can a mare have before it starts to become unhealthy?

I don't think I want to breed her as I am trying to sell her instead, but if I have to keep her it is crossing my mind to do later on. Just curious is all.

Thank you!

From my knowledge, as long as the mare stays healthy, and in good weight, with no birthing complications she can keep having foals.

Thanks. I kind of figured something along that line because humans are the same way. Of course I would have lots to learn before I ever really considered it. But as far as I know she has had all healthy foals and she is still in good health. So they must have went well!

Yeah, from what I understand, just like humans. As long as the mare continues to be healthy and there is no complications it's all ok. Just like people, horses wombs tire out, ligaments get VERY stretched out and muscles torn. So as they have more and more and more and more they are more likely to have complication. But I would honestly think it takes quite a bit to get to that point. Or maybe a REALLY big foal or a hard birth or something similar.

Don't worry Pink, I'm in that same boat. I've never had a foal born at my place before, I always buy as weanies. But this year with everything that happened the opportunity presented itself and here I am with a mare due shortly. :rolleye0014:

Luckily though it's something I had always thought about and done a lot of reading on. And of course I have the support of horsecity also to help out. :smilie:

Oh dilute you'll love it. Watching them being born and taking their first steps is truly amazing and wonderful. :)

~stars

I hope I'll be able to catch it!! everything I've heard she wants people to be there and gave all the signs.. so I can only hope she does the same this year!

I hate right now how she's on a stale mate.. I started to get so excited when I saw her developing a bag. Now there really isn't much other progression and I'm all.. bah! let down, lol

Thanks Dilute! Best of foaling luck for your mare. It truly is amazing to watch - I was able to see my old trainers foal take its first steps. It was adorable!

My mare is a proven broodmare. She is a registered AQHA and has some nice lines and conformation. But, from what I was told she has had four foals already. She is 13 years old.

How many foals can a mare have before it starts to become unhealthy?

I don't think I want to breed her as I am trying to sell her instead, but if I have to keep her it is crossing my mind to do later on. Just curious is all.

Thank you!

Depends on the mare....some have numerous foals without any problems and some are problems from the start. Usually as they age they become more difficult to get in foal and eventually to keep in foal. Some, as they get older, need supplemental hormones to maintain a pregnancy. There is more risk of complications with older mares as well and they are often dramatic and fatal.

Just being curious as you mention she's a proven brood mare....what bloodlines and what have her foals done? I'm always on the lookout for mares that will fit in my plans so usually ask if someone mentions they have one for sale.

From my knowledge, as long as the mare stays healthy, and in good weight, with no birthing complications she can keep having foals.

I agree. One of my mares has 10 bothers and sisters. The coolest part is we have 2 of them and I showed her against another. I know one is in the USA as he was the 1995 AQHA Superhorse.

Its actually been shown that if you want to maintain fertility, you KEEP the mare pregnant. Giving them "a year off" does NOT improve reproductive efficiency. If the mare is having body condition issues while pregnant or nursing, its a nutritional management problem, not a reproductive one. A lot of people will give older mares in particular a year off to "recover" and then are never able to get her in foal again. Use it or lose it is the name of the game with equine reproduction.

Obviously, there comes a time when not breeding any longer is kindest for the mare, and certainly the risks associated with pregnancy and foaling goes up with each successive year and pregnancy. How many is too many? For some mares, that number may be 1. For others, it may easily be in the teens.