Sign in to follow this  
horsey_girl757

What Do You Think Of This Qh Stallion

Hey guys! I'am really considering breeding this QH palomino stallion to my mare Spree. I just wanted to see what your opinions on breeding them. Here is the link for the stallion on dream horse:My link

Here is my mare's bloodlines and a photo of her. My mare is a great all around horse, she is good in the showring, and is good at barrel racing, cow working, and reining.Here is the link to her bloodlines My link Here is a photo of her: DSCF3110-2.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

Edited by horsey_girl757

Make sure the stallion is tested N/N for HERDA as he goes to Dry Doc, known carrier. Carriers don't have symptoms so you wouldn't have a clue if he's a carrier.

Interesting pedigree on resulting foal...great cowhorse blood on top and more of a variety on the bottom with one line to strong cowhorse and half of the pedigree being speed. Possible chestnut or paly solid or tobiano. If breeding for a foal to keep for yourself it would be a potentially good breeding (conformation wise they aren't that far apart from what I can see of the two in photos... so you would likely get one built mostly like your mare). If breeding for a sale horse...not so much...you'd be wiser to go to a stallion with more Skipper W breeding for instance to complement the pedigree your mare already has...and to be honest you'd be wise to go to something that is not only bred more like your mare but HZ for tobiano....solid Paints are a dime a dozen even if very strongly bred. Cutting and cow horse people will like the top of the foals pedigree but not the lack of strong cowhorse breeding on the bottom (mare's side). Ropers might like a foal from this mix but they don't buy youngsters very often...more like to wait until they are 3 and nicely under saddle and maybe had a rope swung off of them.

If you look at the fence line behind the stud, his withers look significantly lower than his rear end.

In the photo, your mare looks to be lower in the withers too. It just might be that she wasn't on flat ground. Only you know for sure.

If she is lower, you should breed her to a stud with a level back. To minimize the dam's structure rather than repeat it.

Good Luck for a lovely foal next year!