Zoe84

Split Manes?!

What does everyone think this might mean? I can't find much info on the net about it...Over the years I have been told (and believed) that the horse is balanced (muscular) and even. Since I have been trimming my own horse, all of a sudden his mane is completely split the whole way down his neck. (He's the one with the spurs in his hocks) I thought there is NO WAY that I can just start trimming my horse (being self taught and all) and for it to work positively. (plus he is sounder than he has ever been, big tick for me!) Then I found a forum in Australia about it and the theory is that horses that have back end problems have the split mane! I can't believe that this would happen so quickly in my gelding (almost overnight). His mane is long and untrimmed (since he can't do any flatwork/dressage I don't feel the need to trim it) so it would take some effort on mother nature's part to split it!

P2230577.jpg

edited to include forums found:

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/problem-horses/46165-divided-mane-means-back-end-problems.html

http://forum.horsetopia.com/general-horse-advice/71403-mane-falls-side.html

Edited by Zoe84

well for a while Linda parelli had a thought that it was back/muscle related. She made a huge deal about it, and there seemed to be some evidence. However I haven't heard them mention that in ages. My horses have gone through some mane flips now and then. If it does have to do with the back then your trimming/his soundness might have something to do with it. who knows. Its an interesting thing they do!

I have a filly who started with a half-and-half mane. She later had a "correct" mane, and then the winter came, mane got thick and long. Now again, the middle of her mane splits. I think it is nothing more than a curly thing. Her mane is very curly, and has a thick base on each hair (It also mohawks all by itself, at a whopping 6 inches long!). My Straight Egyptian gelding has a "correct" mane, and then all of the sudden it will split, or flip. Always near his upper neck/poll area. I have noticed horses bred thicker usually have "double" manes, they look a lot like your gelding.

Not any proof here, just sayin what I personally have seen.

Edited by Thomas Crown

Oh good grief I have a mare and her 8 yo daughter who both have split manes LOL There isn't any medical proof yet that it is caused by a medical issue LOL Genetic maybe LOL

I have tried everything to get those manes right and I gave up to the resolve that they are Mustang and 1/2 Mustang and it is who they are LOL Not to mention I have a nice emergency handle LOL Face it they are just weirdos but I love the look on my girls, but if you find information from a reputable source *Linda isn't a vet* then I will love to look at it I love to learn! :)

Till then I have weirdo mares, yes they have the curly gene too.

PS the brat in my avatar is my half Mustang you cannot see her mane real well.

Edited by WildHorseSpirit

TJ also has a split mane and it is one of my very favorite things about my wild man :) as for the whole medical thing, I also call a basket of hooskie on that...TJ is in excellent condition, gets aligned regularly due to his job as ranch horse and feet are in great shape. I agree with Wild that they are just lovable weirdos and we're lucky enough to have them :P

Split manes are actually an attribute to the local Marsh Tacky horses here.

Both my horses have had the split mane thing going on, but it goes away if I band it or put a slinky on them for a few days. I don't believe it is health related. If that were the cause, there'd be tons of evidence out there now and alot more people would know about it.

I just think it's strange that my horses mane can be completely on one side for nearly 2 years then in a span of 1 week be totally split from poll to wither. We never pull or cut any of our horse's manes, they are "el-naturale"!

Did you change feed? Better nutrition more hair growth?

Shocks is split. He has a full mane on one side and half way up on the other (he's a pant and only the black mane is split not the white)

Only thing I ever heard about manes is that if there a pals where the whole man goes to the other side they carry tension in that area.

Taylor has three places like that. He has back problems and carries slot of tension threw his whole spinel area.

Split manes are a nuisance to those of us that prefer the mane on only one side of the neck (preferably the left) and are easily corrected with training braids but sometimes aren't solvable due to what you are feeding your horse! Feeds that can help a horses mane are brooks and equijewel an those that tamper with it are beetpulp and optimal

1 hour ago, IanMillarFanGirl said:

Split manes are a nuisance to those of us that prefer the mane on only one side of the neck (preferably the left) and are easily corrected with training braids but sometimes aren't solvable due to what you are feeding your horse! Feeds that can help a horses mane are brooks and equijewel an those that tamper with it are beetpulp and optimal

You're clearly a horse whisperer and seem to know your stuff. I have had success with my stallions in the past by putting a few handpicked blades of grass in their grain buckets. it gives them a sense of liberty and tames their physical appearance.