Sign in to follow this  
DiluteMe

Waxing/dripping/streaming

Looking for some pre-advice here. So I'm prepared.

I was informed that my pregnant mare last year waxed, then dripped, then streamed milk last year before her birth. To the point where last years owner and breeder milked her and collected the colostrum and froze it.

So MY question is, what point should I be looking to do that if she repeats this year? Is there like a time frame? Streaming for 2-3 hours milk and collect it?

New territory for me.. so I need some of ya'lls advice.

Then let's say I do collect and freeze. How do I go about unfreezing? Is it the put the bottle in a pot of boiling water? I'm kind of leery about a microwave... How warm should it be? When should I give it, right away or once baby finds the milk bar?

Thanks guys! You've all helped me a lot!

My mare leaked for days before she foaled. It poured out of her. I thought there would be none left. I asked the vet what I should do. He said, do nothing. If you freeze the milk it will have no nutritional value and not to worry the foal will get her milk.

So I did nothing and all was fine.

well coming from raising too many bottle goats to count frozen colostrum doesnt lose its antibodies the thing the need the most from colostrum. to de froze it never microwave it it will do funny things what i did was take the bag and put in hot tap water in a bowl what ever and continue until it reaches desired temp. i also read its better to get it in them as soon as possible so if its kinda cool its ok. they will nurse after. I would say the foal would be ok if you didnt but i know me and i would probably collect also and give the baby the colostrum for my mind sake.

And story gurl i believe what your vet said im just going by bottle goats and they have to have colostrums or in my experience its for nothing. I too believe all will be fine but ya never know.

By all means collect it. You can pick up bags designed for human breastmilk freezing (you can pick them up at just about any store with a 'baby' section). Collect, place flat in the freezer and leave it there until you need it. The antibody content will degrade over time (think years), but is perfectly safe and appropriate to use in the same season. To thaw, simply place it in a tub of warm water. Do NOT microwave it as that will damage the antibodies.

The concern here is not the mare running out of milk, its running out of COLOSTRUM which is what has the antibodies. Once that's gone, its gone and "regular" milk will not provide those antibodies. Once the foal is born, you can bottle feed it even before it gets up, or have it stomach tubed by your vet and the colostrum administered. Obviously, regardless of what is done, this is a foal that MUST have an IgG test run.

Oh yes, I certainly plan on the IgG test.

Now in my books I've read collect but do NOT milk the mare, because that encourages more milk and NOT colostrum to come down further. Which is right?

Also CVM, you didn't say how long of a time period? Should I start collecting right away when streaming or wait a certain amount of time? My books say a few hours... but I wasn't sure if there was an actual number I should be looking for, or if I should just start it up right away.

Thanks a lot guys, you've all helped me a bunch in my road to helping birth my first foal :notworthy::huggy:

the mare produces colostrum for 72 hours. If the mare leaks/streams colostrum for more than 72 hours you need to give the baby banked colostrum. Colostrum is EXTREMELY important for the foal and it must receive adequate amounts within the first 18 hours before the gut starts to close (happens by 24 hours). These antibodies that the foal receives from the colostrum will protect it for approx 3 weeks. If it doesn't get colostrum it is much more likely to get sick or infected and the last thing anyone wants is a weak foal. This aside, if your mare is streaming colostrum as you said then you shoudl have her checked for an infection or a premature detachment of the placenta which is a really bad thing

I have been running Quarter, Arab and TB breeding farms for many years and personally foaled out about 100 foals. It is very important to collect the mares milk and refrigerate it right away. I'd also be sure to keep the mares udder clean from dirt etc.. When the foal is delivered and has bonded with her dam which is very important because if the mare is a maiden and hasn't bonded before she will reject the foal if human intervention is detected by the mare. This was a big problem many, many years ago until the AQHA did a study and determined that human interference was the main problem in maiden mare rejection. I would like to know, did you "imprint" this foal? Also, do you have a game plan, when it comes to weaning this foal? I will answer any questions that you might have regarding breeding to the best of my knowledge. God Bless You !!