Sign in to follow this  
atomicjade

Qh X... With What?

Okay, so I bought a horse from a "backyard" type situation, mama was a QH but the sire is unknown. He is turning 3 in June and is 14.1 (and a half!) and before me he had spent his entire life on the same property. He was a surprise baby and nobody seemed to really care about who the dad was so he is just a grade pony.

That being said, I can see the QH, but just can't figure out what the rest is. My top suspicions are Arab, and, although I admittedly know next to nothing about them, something gaited like a Paso. I've had a couple people say TB but he is just stinkin' small for an appendix. Anyone ever heard of a pony sized appendix? LOL. He does not personally gait but he has these little round (but very solid) hooves and more knee action than I am used to. He definitely has the QH mind but at the same time he can be sensitive (in a good way). Definitely the sweetest horse I have had. Anyway I will post him up and would love to see what the members of HC think!

PICT0034-3.jpg

PICT0037-1.jpg

PICT0030-2.jpg

Some of his movement.. keep in mind he is still a young unworked horse.

PICT0092edit.jpg

With me, hehe his first time with an english saddle and the irons down. Thus the "get-up"!

PICT0044-1.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0050.jpg

PICT0060-2.jpg

If more or different pictures are needed please tell me. Thanks!! :D

What a gorgeous boy he is! I agree with you, maybe some Arab, or maybe some TB? He is still young, so he might have some growing left to do which could be why he is small for an appendix. I have suspicions that my mare might be an appendix, and she is only 14.2 hands and she is six. So it is possible appendixes can be small, they just usually breed for tall. :smilie:

QH x something beautiful! He is quite a nice looking boy! Good job picking him up.

He is gorgeous!! Wow! Do you think he will grey out, or is he a roan? He could be Arab or maybe all QH. He looks like a 2 year old QH we have at our barn right now.

Thanks guys! CoolRabbit, you are the first to say he isn't mixed at all. You don't have to go look up anything but did you know off the top of your head what lines had more knee action? I am not questioning you, I am just genuinely curious!

I know that guessing his breeding is just that, a guess, but its interesting to hear what another eye has to say. And yes there are smaller TBs, so that's not a rule out either... hmmm!

I picked him up as a craigslist special for $385, got him gelded with some fresh Coggins and a good trim and here he is! At any rate I love the little stinker more and more every day, he really is such a sweetheart and pretty smart too. I wouldn't sell him for $1,000 if someone offered. **** I wouldn't take MORE than that... guess he's stuck with me LOL :D

Edited to add:

Ardent - he should be greying out! He was born bay, and turned "black", now he's got this nice speckling thing going on. I know he is greying because, according to my research, roan horses legs and heads stay the same color. He was plain when he was born so the star, and everything white on his face, has appeared over time. Only grey horses do that! :D

Edited by atomicjade

I was thinking all QH, too. I have seen a lot move like your guy does. But, I am definately no expert when it comes to breeds.

However, I do think he sure is pretty and will be a great English all-arounder!

Edit, the more I look - he looks like a "lean" breed. Which brings to the Arab thing or maybe an Appy (His tail reminds me of an Appy).

Edited by PinkTractor

He's definitely cute, definitely going gray. I would think he could be all QH from the looks of him or perhaps a bit of Arab (although for his age he doens't have the thinner look through the neck that lots of Arab crosses have). Knee action could suggest something like Hackney pony but he doesn't have anything else that would say that to me. I'd be inclined to think smaller QH type (maybe cutting or cowhorse breeding as opposed to halter or pleasure lines).

Any chance you can peruse the sellers' neighborhood looking for studs that might have come calling?

As for the suggestion of appaloosa, not seeing any of the mottled coloring around the eyes or hooves, so I am going to say probably not.

Here is a thought, I have seen some lighter type Welsh ponies with this look. :confused0024:

4237.bullsy-stand-resized.jpg

Edited by Sorrel1

wow he is very pretty! I personally think he could have maybe some Morgan in him! the more show horse looking kind of Morgan... If that makes sense, lol. Whatever he is he sure is pretty!

Thanks everybody for your insight, opinions, and comments. Since I (and many others) can't really make up my mind as to what he may be... so I will go with the general concensus that he's just a little grade QH cow pony type. Which is perfectly fine with me :)

And I already tried to track down what potential sires could've been. His past owner got his mom from his cousin, who didn't even know she was pregnant or any of her history. :(

I really wanna say thoroughbred. He is super lean, and his head looks a tad long. But whatever he is, if he turns up missing, don't come look down here. Haha. He is a looker for sure.

I'm not huge on breeds but I don't see Arab there, I DO see TB. some TBxs can be small so don't rule it out. he seems to have the leanness of a TB and the sort of longish face of a TB.

But really he could be anything. His mane and tail are a bit thin, that could be a clue...

keep in mind the sire could be a crossbreed himself.

I'd say hes just flat out gorgeous! I see the Quarter I would vote thoroughbred too or maybe a tb/qh cross stud. I've seen quite a few stockier short type tbs

I see Morgan in him..mainly because he looks a lot like Zephyr did as a youngster... Zephyr is Morgan and Paint..15.2 hands Also 17 years old....

He has high knee action and moves very similar to your guy...here are some pictures of him.. We have had people think he is racing Quarter...

next to our Appendix quarter...Zephyr is on the left

001-1.jpg

003-13.jpg

on the left again..the little horse in the background is arab x quarter

016-1.jpg

008-11.jpg

your guy is still young and still lean...and I suspect a late bloomer to boot...not a TB trait...but a Morgan trait...He sure is a doll no matter what he is and I woud say he will grow a few inches or more as he matures...

AD

I'd say he is full QH.

There is a horse at my barn that looks EXACTLY like him. I honestly had to do a double take. He is 100% QH and is greying out exactly like your horse.

Congrats on him !

Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas :). It is very interesting to hear everybodys insight, and why! To those that have similar looking QHs at their barns, mind showing some pics? :D

I also considered Morgan at one point, and who knows? He could be. However I did have a Morgan/TB at one point and he doesn't remind me at all of him. But maybe a MorganX?

I also considered the possibility the sire could also very well have been a crossbreed. There's no doubt his mama is a QH, even though she didn't come with papers. However that's not to say she never did at one point. I am pretty ill-versed in this notion but can they tell anything from DNA tests as to what a horse could be? Or is that test just applicable towards individual horses, such as whether horse A is a progeny of horse B, but not the specific breed?

Also here is a link to a video of him moseying over to his favored dirt hole. I tried to get footage of him trotting and cantering but he did that amongst every OTHER area of the paddock, other than where I was. I don't know if it will be of any use, but here it is anyway.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/atomicjade8/?action=view&current=PICT0068-1.mp4

A few other shots, he just recently graduated to a sidepull.

PICT0089-1.jpg

PICT0023-2.jpg

I <3 him.

PICT0034-4.jpg

:D

Full QH or 1/2 QH and TB. I don't see any other breeds in there. He is nicely put together for a horse that likely wasn't planned. Congrats.