Sign in to follow this  
Wild Rose

Dog's Teeth

Has any one tried the product advertised on TV, called Plaque Attack? https://www.getplaqueattack.com/?mid=776058 It's a spray that is said to remove plaque from a dog's teeth and freshen it's breath.

My son and his wife have a Pug. They took the Pug to the vet to have his teeth cleaned. Well, the dog was allergic to the anesthetic, or something, and his heart stopped. The vet revived him, and he is fine now. But, he was unable to have his teeth cleaned.

What are some good products they could use to help the dog?

I have never used the product.

But I have to say why not just start brushing your dogs teeth? I did this with Apollo when he was still here. Had his teeth checked every year and he never had to have them cleaned because I was brushing them at least once a week. He actually enjoyed it too :rolleye0014:

Dilute, I bet the vet gave them some advice on that, too. I only heard about this last night, and haven't talked to my son or his wife about it. My Hubby did, but he never asks enough questions!

I was just wanting to know what products are out there, to help them and their dog out.

ETA: This isn't my dog. I've always had big dogs and have never had a problem with their teeth. I don't know what I fed that was different, or anything.

Edited by Wild Rose

I really don't buy that these sprays work in the least. Brushing is the best, but its estimated that only about 2% of pet owners actually do. There are a number of products available to help the progression, including dental diets (I've had my cats on one for years and have not had to do their teeth.), water additives and chews that are treated to kill the bacteria that form plaque and prevent adherence to the teeth.

Thanks, cvm. I had my doubts about that spray stuff, too.

I was just looking in an old pet catalog I have from KV Vet, and there are the water additives in there. I usually don't save the Pet catalogs, just the horse ones, since I don't have a dog, myself, right now. I will tell my kids about that stuff, if you say it does work.

It won't get rid of existing plaque, though, will it?

Brushing is the best, but its estimated that only about 2% of pet owners actually do.

We learned our lesson. Our old dog is nearly 14 and has always had bad teeth. We had them cleaned semi-regularly but it wasn't enough. Other than some early dementia he is in pretty dang good shape now...except for his rotten teeth. It may be what ultimately does him in. We will certainly start brushing our puppy's teeth when she turns six months or so, or when she is done dropping baby teeth.

I really don't buy that these sprays work in the least. Brushing is the best, but its estimated that only about 2% of pet owners actually do. There are a number of products available to help the progression, including dental diets (I've had my cats on one for years and have not had to do their teeth.), water additives and chews that are treated to kill the bacteria that form plaque and prevent adherence to the teeth.

Dental diet??? what is this. I've never heard of it? I too have an older dog. 13, he needs his teeth done but I'm afraid of what the anesthetic would do to him with his age.

2 different true dental diets out there: Science Diet prescription T/D and Purina prescription DH.

So my personal, cat-owner-not-a-vet story: My first 2 cats both needed a dental cleaning by the time they were 4. Right after, they started on T/D. Both died at 16 without ever needing their teeth done again. The other 4 are also on it since I've gotten them, and none need dental work.

I am in vet tech school and see a lot of dentals...which has made me more proactive in their dental health as I see some really nasty teeth!! I brush my dogs teeth, get a rinse from the vet, and use some dental chews. My dogs are both 9, never had dentals, and thankfully, my vet said they don't need one. One dog did have a little bit of tarter on a premolar and one day I picked at it and got it off. My dogs are subjected to a lot of crap because of what I do, so they are good for me to pick at their teeth. Brushing is the best thing to start doing when they are young:-) (But never too late to start!)

brush brush brush brush brush!!!

It's the only thing really provn to decrease plaque that is allready present. 30 seconds a day and in dogs you only have to do the outside surface for the most part. You also brush in a front to back motion in dogs, not up and down like the dentist will tell a human. Using a cleaning agent will also help.

Everything else is more of prevention. Avoid the "anesthesia free cleanings" you see advertised as they only do the visible surface of the teeth and can cause a lot of damage.

TD diet might help as well as some of the abrasive chews. Water additives and oral gels will not decrease the current plaque but can help prevent more from forming. I have seen good things from the water additive (research was done at my school with a friends dog being involved in the trial)