Sign in to follow this  
Felda5032

Sorrelitis?

This is really a curiosity thing. Horse is going to auction in a couple of weeks anyways. BO, now the owner, said I could take a couple of pics to post to see if anyone else has seen something like this.

History: 6-7yo sorrel gelding. Has been at this stable for almost 5 years. Developed this ugly patchiness about a year after arrival. Has seen the vet for this issue 3x. All say fungus of some sort, but no further workup has been done. Horse has been treated with various prescription anti fungals and was recenty on a course of a antibios as a deviation from treatment. I beleive the BO said the horse was given SMZs, not sure tho. None of the other livestock on property have this or anything like this. BO, without vet's guidance, has also treated with betadine baths, rubbed ivermectin and cattle ivomec with no change. The spots never ooze, he doesn't itch, they never grow hair and the chest one is a new one. You can see a second spot on the cheek to the left, where the hair is thinning. It is another spot starting to appear. It will look just like the one to the right soon.

PICS!

2011-04-19125326.jpg

2011-04-19125316.jpg

2011-04-19125256.jpg

They look like a form of sarcoid to me. I have seen several horses with patches identical to that and then finally had one of them turn into a full blown bloody sarcoid. I have a palomino gelding now that I bought at auction 10 years ago. He has several of these from quarter size to 2 inches. One has blown up into a full bloody sarcoid. It has grown to nearly fist size,has been removed by a Vet once. Previously, I had had sarcoids frozen off with a liquid Nitrogen probe. The Vet would not do that with this one as it was on the juncture of his ear and the top of his head. He was afraid it would make a hole in his ear if he over-did it. Well, it came right back so we are in the process of using an old Indian remedy, Blood Root, on it. It has shrunk quite a bit and instantly stopped growing. This palomino horse has at least 6 or 7 others that have not blown up.

I have a mare that has 3 or 4 of them. Her dam also had sarcoids but neither horse has had them turn bloody and grow. A very good horse Vet that I used for 25 years diagnosed them and said he had also seen them run in families. He said to leave them alone unless they were under a saddle or girth and prevented riding. Then he said he would freeze them off.

He also froze off one that I had that was bloody and huge when I bought the horse. He was really well trained but developed a huge bloody sarcoid and was going to be sold at the auction. I bought him cheaply and had the sarcoid frozen off. He also had a couple others that looked like this one, but they never developed into bloody messes so I left them alone.

I agree, could be a sarcoid called an "occult" sarcoid. Fungal should be cleared up by now.

Sarcoids dont like to be bugged. They tend to get angry and get worse. I would talk to your vet but treatment options are pretty unreliable. Check out this website Sarcoid Website

Edited by Crazy-appy_eventer

Ringworm is a fungus.

I'll the sarcoid thing by the owner. It makes perfect sense tho after looking at that website. He's going to auction next week, so they may want to pass this on.

The face patches look exactly like the sarcoid my mare had. My vet said they were generally not a problem. He was an eensy bit concerned that hers was positioned right above the jugular, but that was more in relation to having it removed. I understand they don't take kindly to being messed with. We tried every other thing to no avail. Just ugly, I guess!