Sign in to follow this  
bspangle

Purchased This Saddle

Hello!

I purchased this saddle at an auction for $50.00 with two pads and a girth...

It has no identification mark.

It is 15"

I am wondering if It would be a good starter saddle for me to take lessons in?

When I sit in it I have 3-4 fingers in both front and back.

What is it worth if I need to purchase another saddle?

Thanks.

5673296772_821caa6310_z.jpg

5672729273_0cc4ff17a3_z.jpg

5673298386_99e0983ef5_z.jpg

Edited by Brenna Lee

Welcome to English Riding! It looks like an "All Purpose" saddle. Without a brand or marking to identify it, my initial thought is that the saddle may not be of the best quality, so you probably paid what the saddle is worth. These type of saddles are usually made using very low quality leather on a production line. The upside is the price, the downside is that it may put you in the incorrect position (perching forward or leaning back) and will probably cause discomfort to your horse (too narrow or too wide). As far as sizing goes, based on your description it sounds like it fits you. Looking at the billet straps I can see that the saddle was used quite a bit, but the stitching appears to be in good shape.

Ideally, you want to look for a brand name, older model, used English Saddle as a starter and have a saddle fitter help you find one that fits both you and your horse. You really can find a good saddle for $100-$200 if you look carefully.

I would have your riding instructor evaluate the saddle to see if it is safe and will "pass" for a few starter lessons. Perhaps they even have one or two you could try. You can also take a look online for English Saddle Fitting Guidelines.

also, a 15" is a VERY small saddle, for children. english saddles arent fitted like western saddles, so this probably wont fit you well.

I agree with paintpony1. 15" are very small for children.

Depending on how old you are, how tall you are, and how much you weigh....? it might be small or just right if your a little girl..... I have no idea how much it would be worth. Sorry. :)

Any questions? Just ask!

Have fun and be safe!

NWOhio Cowgirl:)

Edited by NWOhio Cowgirl:)

Hi Brenna Lee im from wales in England and have only ever ridden in English saddles.Like you i bought a second hand saddle. Sadly i was given very bad advice from the person i bought it from and she was a riding instructor. The saddle was a very bad fit causing my horse to start napping i got off before he managed to rear up. I discovered on closer inspection of the saddle that the tree was broken no wonder the poor horse wasnt happy. Im saving up for a saddle fitter to come out now. My advice to you would be to get some one out who knows what they are doing to check the saddle and its fit. Its better to be safe than sorry as through bad advice and to much trust on my part of some one who thought they knew more than they did i nearly had a bad accidant. Thankfully there was no damage done to my horses back.