Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #30

Time to start a new one, since the prior chat thread is off the page and hasn't had a new post in a couple of months. lol

I finally got tired of complaining about being overweight and waiting for the magical fat loss fairy to strike overnight one night. So in a moment of madness yesterday, I signed up for a ten week long boot camp type class at the gym beginning in a week and a half. A couple of friends teased me for seeing the doctor first before signing up. But now, when I think that I'm about to die I can tell myself that no, the doc said I'd be fine. :crazy: WHEN I survive the first week, I am going to splurge for a massage. Hopefully it won't take more than a week to get past the exhaustion making me want to pass out from going from very little exercise to intense exercise.

I moved Fess a couple of months ago to a new barn. It's farther out, but has nice people and facilities. And its a bit quieter, so it is easier to work without having to dodge lessons and jumps. So I can focus on the two of us. I've been going back to basics and filling a hole in MY background. I'm learning how to ask Fessor to stretch over his back and soften over his topline. It's mostly a matter of learning to ask for lateral flexion. He can give me vertical flexion till the cows come home without ever taking up contact. So for now, lots of learning how to encourage stretchy work and moving long and low without falling on the forehand. We'll take most of the year off from showing... There are a couple of schooling shows where I'm boarding him, so I might try riding through the first level tests just to get a feel for them. But that's all. I need to rebuild our basics. And if I am going to ask him to get into better condition, I need to do the same. So for now, we'll relax and go out on trail and learn how to stretch. :smile:

Tracy

Ive been thinking of starting a new one but never got around to it. Thanks Tracy!

Glad to hear you found a nice, quiet barn for you and Fess. And good luck with the weight loss! Its so worth all the hard work in the end.

Things have been good here. I am now officially ~48lbs lost. So awesome. I seriously have never lost weight in my life but I love it and am never going back! Rex has been fabu under saddle and on the long lines. Ive been able to have lessons with Dean a little more regularly and now he is coming every other week, alternating between Mondays and Saturdays. So I get a lesson with him once a month. I also got Jill to start lessoning with him last time to work with Mingo, her hot, sensitive swedish mare, and she had a wonderful lesson.

Rex finally outgrew my Amerigo. I had my fitter come out and do what she could with it. Its not a matter of width, its that its a curved tree and he has a flat back. So for the time, its working, but not for long. Thankfully my girlfriend who boards with me now (not sure if I introduced Chrissy and her horse Bailey, but Sarah found a leasor for Ben so Chrissy moved in here) is going to buy my saddle so I can buy a new one for Rex. My fitter sells Borne saddles and I can get a *fully* custom saddle for $3500. BTW I paid $3500 for my off the rack Amerigo. She has one that is like a demo that she is dropping off tomorrow that I may be able to buy for a little less if it works.

Work has been good actually. VERY busy and there are def some things that could be improved upon (like actually get a lunch break..) but being busy is a good thing. My checks have almost doubled compared to this time last year because we were so slow before. We have 3 columns for doctor at work and the assistant that has been here the longest was #1, then the 2nd one was an assistant who had been here like 4 or 5 years, and then I was #3 (like back up). Well long story short, I am now column #1 and the old #1 is #3. So the good thing about being #1 is that I work mainly with the Dr and also do the big, complicate cases (which I actually like doing). Hopefully that solidfys my position at work. We are getting new uniforms and they are embroidering our names on the shirts so hopefully that means I get to stick around for a while! LOL

Layla is doing well. Ive been riding her off and on and also giving lessons to Chrissy and Sarah with her. Chrissy is a h/j convert and her gelding has bouncy gaits so its been very helpful for her to ride a trained, soft moving horse to work on her position.

Im sure theres more but thats the gist of it. Yall know that Im more of a picture updating kind of person... so without further adu....

The other day... sportin my official WEG polo

221993_1925075013771_1449009522_32165005_680322_n.jpg

Our lesson 2 weeks ago

217045_1907603176986_1449009522_32131176_3967218_n.jpg

I trailered over to the other farm where I have had my previous Dean lessons to use their covered arena..

199697_1869730350189_1449009522_32068611_4144346_n.jpg

This is the lesson before the one I posted above

190000_1839850603214_1449009522_32022043_5742161_n.jpg

We canter every lesson (and starting to on my own..totally my mental block)

196314_1839852963273_1449009522_32022054_5478857_n.jpg

Miss Layla looking the best she ever has

197263_1827616657373_1449009522_32004618_7288251_n.jpg

10301019.jpg

Lastly, the cutest thing in the ENTIRE world - Jills neighbors mini had a baby - here she is at 3 days old!!! She was suckling on my fingers

224385_1918394926773_1449009522_32152865_1238628_n.jpg

Oh! I REMEMBER! Im sure a lot of you remember how BIG Rex's bog spavin on his right hock got. WELL - Ive been giving him Flex Force liquid HA 100mg a day (not for the spavin) and a week on it, I noticed it was smaller. Three weeks on it, and it was almost gone. Now theres just a tiny bit of fluid and a little fluid on the lateral side of the hock but you can BARELY see it. SUPER impressed with those results!

Congrats on all the hard work for the weight loss! That's fantastic Shantel. It gives me hope.

A friend might be able to join the class with me... She called and found out the gym will arrange a payment plan for the class. So hopefully I will have a buddy going in. If not, I'll try to get to know a few of the others in the class. I'm looking forward to comparing the before and after pictures!

Tracy

Hey everyone!

It's been so long since I've posted, I don't know if anyone will remember me!

I'm in the third quarter of my Freshman year in college. I still have Arielle, my Oldenburg x Arabian mare, and I'm leasing Jasper, a Swedish WB x Anglo Arab gelding. Life has been crazy with school, horses, work and health issues but things seem to be settling down a bit.

Tracy--sounds like a nice barn you're at. My mare had over 7 months off, so we're revisiting some of the basics too! Good luck with the boot camp class!!

Shantel--both your horses look fantastic, and congrats on your weight loss, that is awesome!! My mare outgrew her saddle too, I just ordered an Albion that was a demo. It's definitely a nice way to go, since you can save $$ and not have to endure the break-in process. But $3500 is a great price for a fully custom, quality saddle!

I hope all of you and your horses are doing well, I'm looking forward to getting caught up :)

My younger sister is flying out to Iowa tomorrow afternoon. I will be hosting her next week and driving around with her. She's seriously thinking of moving out here. Or rather, to Iowa City, about a 2 hr. drive away from here. It would be so much fun to have one of my sisters closer! :yahoo: A couple of hours drive instead of half a day of travelling between airports makes for more frequent visits. Yay! And we have several cousins in the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids area, so there will be more family members in the area.

Enjoy the Derby and have a good weekend everyone!

Tracy

Tracy-Goof for for checking in with your doctor before doing the boot type camp. Less likely to get hurt that way. I need to lose 10kbs(at least.) I know what I have to do but I hate cardio. Have fun with your sister.

Shantel-Rex is looking fantastic.Congrats on the weight loss. That mini foal is so cute.

Finally getting some good work with Cheese in. I have been riding a couple horses of a friends. The one has had dressage training but is really out of shape. Fun ride but needs a lot more leg than what I am used to . If I used that much leg on Cheese I would end up in the next state.I am going to be an aunt again.

My sister finds out what it is in 2 weeks. I can;'t wait to start shopping.

Good for you Tracy on the weight loss. It will change your life.

I know Shantel looks great because I saw her last month :) We had lunch.

On my side of the woods: I have a full time job now. I'm still doing the barn and the three horses, so I'm very tired most of the time, and moved to a new apartment, and got internet like yesterday, finally.

Riley was doing AMAZING, we has a show scheduled for 3rd level next month . . . and he came in yesterday PM with a very swollen tendon on the right leg (the leg he's done everything to). I'm just sick.

Everyone else is doing well, needs to be sold, etc.

Update more later on Ry and everything, on my lunch break and my dog wants her walk :)

Lunch with Alyse was GREAT! :) and thank you!

How exciting with Riley and then BOOM. Maybe its just a little sprain? Is he lame or just swollen? I hope its nothing. Sending healing thoughts your way. And congrats again on the job!

csa, congrats on being an aunt again!

So long story short, I left a note pinned to the fence at my neighbors. They are the ones who bought the 2 acres next to me and then built a cute little house. But I see them come and go every so often but they dont live there. But there is an acre that is next to our common fence of the most beautiful grass I have ever seen. And they pay someone to bush hog it every few months! So I asked if my horses could eat it for free. The woman said that her husband had been wanting to ask if I could put the horses out to do just that - shoot - should have asked earlier! Anyways, they are also going to "deed" the property back to the bank (to me sounds like default or something.. not sure) but I asked if they could sub divide and sell the acre of grass. She is going to check on it. So awesome would that be!?

After looking online at the tax collectors, I was almost exactly right with my thoughts on the size of the house, how much the house was, and how much an acre was going for now. The house is approx $100k and one acre is $54k. I figured an acre here would go for around $50k so I was really close. I am thinking if they have to "give it back to the bank" that they are going to lose money. So maybe they would be willing to sell it, not even really worth full appraisal, to avoid losing as much money? We shall see!

Some pics and a vid from the ponys first venture to the grass

THIS is what I am hoping we can buy.. if we cant, at least my ponys can eat on it for a while (my house is on the far far left you can barely see it)

231009_1943066343543_1449009522_32194236_7004763_n.jpg

Rex excited about being in a new field

222303_1943067463571_1449009522_32194240_5424224_n.jpg

Rex inhaling the grass - that is the side of our shop in the background

226990_1943055303267_1449009522_32194226_2616231_n.jpg

Is this not just priceless???

227238_1943055663276_1449009522_32194227_1272602_n.jpg

You can barely see their fly boots!

227132_1943052703202_1449009522_32194221_8038390_n.jpg

And a little clip of their excitement when they first got there - Rex is showing off his excited passagey trot

http://www.facebook.com/v/1943074303742

Good to hear from everyone! These past few months have been something else. I am finishing up school and doing my clinicals at OSU Vet Hospital right now. Only a few more weeks to go and then I have to take state boards.

We bought a new house, by our farm. It needed some work and we got moved in in March. Then we had to get the condo ready to sell and it is now on the market.

In the middle of all of this, Beckham became very sick with an illness no one can figure out. He spent 7 days in ICU at OSU in acute renal failure. It was horrible. I know of two other horses that have had this as well and no one can figure it out. He lost a ton of weight and muscle and was given the ok to go back to work several weeks ago. He was back to work and doing great and now has a stone bruise...so I understand KTS!! All of this has been pretty stressful and I have just kind of stepped back and have been taking things slowly. I don't know what we will do this summer. I have put Shelby back to work and may do a show or two with her, don't know yet.

Hope everyone is well.

Good to hear from everyone. Seems like we have all been so busy. Shantel, congrats on the weight loss. I know the feeling. I lost 40 #'s last year and have never felt better and my riding is a lot better as well.

We sold both our houses finally and just chilling right now, waiting to see what will happen. I am boarding the horses at a barn where I used to board. Nice covered arena and Bobby and Beau have their own pasture with a huge shelter, so works out great for now.

Took Bobby to a breed show a couple weeks ago. He did very well and was very well behaved. I have attached a picture, let's see if it works.

School is almost out and my son will get his drivers license. We bought him a nice truck to drive and he has been acting in a play at school and won several awards at competitions. He is amazing!

That's about all my news for now. More later.

post-1098-0-22719200-1305252117_thumb.jpg

Beck, Ive been following on FB but that stinks about the stone bruise. I hope he gets better soon.

Boo, congrats on selling the houses. Are you still riding Beau? Are you still wanting to sell him? Bobby looks SO handsome - way different than the fuzzy baby I last saw.

Bobby is officially two years old now and really quite handsome. One of his 1/2 sisters is in foal to Totilas!!! Pretty nice cross that will be!

I am still riding Beau. Taking lessons and showing 2nd level, schooling some 3rd. Still trying to sell him. I have someone coming to ride him this Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

Happy it's Fri. after a long week of testing students!!!

Well, good news with the Riley Mon! He's never been lame, so I was hoping it was minor. The swelling is almost completely down tonight, and had walked him 15 minutes today too. I've give him a light ride tomorrow if it's all the way down, and then get back on track. I think he must have caught it in the gate and bruised it, and not actually pulled anything, thank goodness! He's a gate banger and done that before.

YAY! Great news. It def sounds like him and Rex are long lost brothers. Glad it seems to be nothing. Fingers crossed.

Randy had a surprise mystery date night planned for tonight. First we went to Copelands, which if you dont have one near you its really nice new orleans style food but their ribeye is to DIE for (only 2nd to Ruths Chris). Then he took me to see Shrek the Musical at the theater!!! It was SO good. Really truly. A must see if you have the chance.

We finally got rain - like REAL puddle causing lightening streaking RAIN. So happy. The dentist also came today. Layla and my boarders gelding, Bailey, both weigh 1070 (well Layla was 1070 and Bailey was 1074) which is great because thats almost 150lbs more than last year at this time for Layla. Rex weighed in at 1275. Im glad I estimated their weights right though for when it comes to supplements, worming, etc. Both horses were GREAT. Layla usually takes 3 rounds or torp and then dormo which STILL doesnt keep her still. Today though she only took 2 shots of torp. SO proud of her. I had her only on 20g of magnesium when they were here in Nov and now shes on 40g and it shows. I also gave her a tube of Calm n Cool (herbal calmer) like 2 hours before they got here and I think it helped. Rex walked right up onto the BIG ramp into the stocks and loaded himself before even being sedated. So good! AND I got 2 referrals so that means FREE DENTALS for both. Only cost me $35 for trip fee (would have been over $300 without yay).

Layla getting her teeths done

225205_1953661008403_1449009522_32203163_5235296_n.jpg

Rex getting his mouth rinsed out before starting

226476_1953701569417_1449009522_32203220_885463_n.jpg

Our theater is on the river downtown so we took some pics while waiting...

222809_1954430107630_1449009522_32204594_6060502_n.jpg

226763_1954433387712_1449009522_32204603_2524958_n.jpg

Nice photos Shantel!!! You have a great hubby!

Recently moved Bobby & Beau into a new pasture. Today I get there and Beau is pacing up and down the fence line and looking and calling. I am like what is going on here? Then I notice the mare in the pasture right next to his is in full blown heat and winking at him. He is getting mad when the other horse in with her and Bobby get close to her. Really agitated mad!!!!! That's his mare! LOL! I think great, I have somebody coming to test ride him. Well she got there and I told her what was up. Explained his little idiosyncrasies to her. We saddle him up and I ride him first. He is full of it and still agitated over mare in heat, new people at barn with dog that they DO NOT control, it's all over the place, in the arena, under the horses, tractor going, horses being moved and I think why does this happen to me every time I try to sell Beau? Anyway, this lady was not at all concerned, understood all the reasons why Beau was being, well........ Beau, and she got on him after I did and he was still really UP!!!!!!!!! Good energy she said and rode the snot out of him. I told her too of course, keep him busy and he'll soon forget everything else, well she fell in love and is taking him. The beauty of it is, he'll stay right where he is, in with Bobby and she got to ride him at his worst and was fine with it. He did actually end up performing really well for her. He is an amazing horse. And the other thing is she just had to put her old horse down on Friday. Very sad, so this was all really good timing and I know Beau has a really good new owner. Now I can concentrate more on Bobby. Well that's my news. I'm sad, but it's a good thing. And we moved the mare in heat and her pasture buddy to the other side and put two geldings in on that side, next to Beau and Bobby, so Beau won't get so agitated over mare in heat!!! LOL!

Edited by Boocoo

Well congrats though I know its a sad closing to that chapter. Sometimes I think its best for them to see the horses at their worst - if that doesnt bother them, then good! And then you can feel comfortable knowing that they will be able to properly handle your horse even when he acts up. Glad you got the mare moved too. Layla can be pretty annoying when shes in heat but u/s gets SUPER relaxed lol.

And thanks - hubby is great. Also got him and step dad to take down a section of the fence between our place and the neighbors and we put one of the old gates in so now I have a gate to the grass next door and it cost me NOTHING.

223328_1956274473738_1449009522_32207635_2840229_n.jpg

And yes, that is GRASS you see coming over the top of the fence boards.

Boocoo-Congrats. Sounds like you found Beau a great new owner. Wow Bobby has grown.

Snatel-I love the pic of Rex half dosing/laying down. I second the thought of whay a great hubby you have. Your horses are going to think they fied and gone to heaven inthat pasture.

I think I finally found a trail riding bit Cheese likes. Seems like every year she decides to not like her trail riding bit and wants something lighter. Not ready for a snaffle on the trail though. Cheese keeps getting better and better. We habe not had a bad ride in six months. We have a lesson on Tue. Really looking forward to it. Starting to ask Cheese for more impulsion at the trot. Which Cheese is very happy about. Her ears ***** forward and get a bit of bounce to her step.

Short work weer. Hubby and I took a couple days off for our anniversary. FIL is taking us out to a nice restaraubt we like to go to. Very good food.

I suppose I should confess that I am not doing the exercise class this time after all. I agreed to help my sister move out here in a couple of weeks, and that would take a week or two out of the schedule. So I'll be signing up for the next session instead. In the meantime, I'll be adding in some walking for exercise and cutting back on some of the less healthy foods that I like to eat. It will be nice to have my sister closer -- a two hour drive away instead of half way across the country. Of course, she's already lobbbying for me to move out closer to where she will be... :happy0203: Who knows? We'll see what happens. In the meantime, she'll have a few cousins we've reconnected with nearby. So that's good.

There's not too much more going on here. Just the same old routine. I'm looking forward to seeing Fess later today or tomorrow!

Tracy

Thanks Shantel and CSA. It is sad, but I am so relieved to have a great home for him and yes Shantel, knowing she can handle him when he is up like that. He is a lot of horse and most definitely not for a beginner. She fell in love with him on the spot and I get to see him every day still. He is still in the same pasture with Bobby and I will help her to get to know him.

Shantel, that's awesome putting that gate in like that, Lots of lush grass in there, will help save on your hay bill. We are in such a drought right now, we are going to be searching for hay by the end of summer if we don't get some rain.

CSA, glad you found a bit Cheese will go good in on the trail. Enjoy your Anniversary dinner. How many years?

Tracy-That is great that yout sister is moving closer.I live right next door to mine. We get along pretty goon now. We were the type of sisters who fought a lot as kids.

Boocoo-It has been four years.

Had a fantastic lesson yesterday. Trying to figure out how to take stills off a bit of video my hubby rook. It is nice to have Cheese going well enough to work on my position. Working on getting Cheese to stretch from thigh pressure. Starting to get her more on the verticle. Poor mare was tired after just an hour. I had to use leg to keep the canter. Very odd thing to have to do. Had a beautiful canter to trot transition. Cheese will usually put her head up with downward transitions. This time she started to pick it up and than decided to strech back down onto the bit. We ended with that. It felt really good to get that good of a downward transition off of leg/seat alone.

csa, if you can get the video to play on your computer, all you have to do is PAUSE the video where you want it, then press the PRINT SCREEN button (above the insert, home, delete, etc keys). Then open PAINT. When a new blank canvas is up, click EDIT and PASTE. It will paste the entire desktop, including the video that is paused where you want it. You then just take the CROP tool and crop the still video. Once it is selected with the square crop around it, right click and click COPY. Then go back to FILE and hit NEW. DO NOT SAVE. Once a new canvas is up, right click on the canvas and click PASTE. You will then have the cropped still from the video pasted onto your canvas. Edit it or adjust it as you need and then FILE, SAVE and tada, a pic from your video. Congrats on a great lesson!

Thanks Shantel. I tried it that way and my computer just argued with me. I figured another way out but the pics are small. Was trying to work on weight in heels and shoulders back. Yeah still need work. Better than I was. Hands are out of my lap finally.

Canter pic. Hands can come up a bit. You can see if I sat up and added a little more leg we would be so there.

icheesecanterpic.jpg

Trot pic

cheesetrot2.jpg

Relaxed my reins a hair and held the leg cue for a hair longer and got....

cheesetrot.jpg

Cheese was licking chewing more than usual. Overall a happy but tired mare.I still get a tail swish when she thinks I am using to much leg but it is so nice to be able to use leg morehands less.

Great pics. I think this is the most relaxed Ive seen in the pics you have posted. Def heading in the right direction. Good job!

4 years CSA! That's good. We're going on 19!!! :twitch:

Well the lady that has Beau now, still lives like 3 hours away. So until she gets moved here in June or July, I will still be riding Beau a couple times a week and she will be here on the weekends to ride him. Cool beans!!!

Boocoo - congratulations on selling Beau! Sounds like the perfect match, and that is wonderful he is staying where he is. That must make things a bit easier. Bobby looks gorgeous by the way!

Have any of you guys been affected by the EHV-1? Unfortunately, the virus is in my area. The barn I board at, as well as many others, are going into "lockdown" and not letting any horses come/leave. Some shows/events are being canceled too. Hopefully it won't ruin the show season, but that's the least of the worries in the big picture.

It was FINALLY nice here?about 70 degrees and sunny the whole day. We've had a pretty nasty spring so far, so the nice weather was welcome. I'd love to be able to ride outside!

Happy (almost) Friday everyone!

Boocoo-That is great you can still ride Beau for a bit.

luvhorses-Luckily EHV seems to be staying to the west. That sucks about show seaon. I hope you get to do some shows later. I know if there was even 1 case in Pa, I would be keeping Cheese at the barm. I just don't trust some people around here.

Shantel-Thanks. That is what I love about this trainer. It is all about keeping Cheese relaxed.If tension strts to pop up it is go back to getting Cheese relaxed and bending and ask again. You wouldn't believe the number of trainers who would want me to just keep half halting through the tension. Which of course just started a fight with Cheese.

Lots of rain the past few days. Great for sleeping during the day. Now that I have a couple extra days off I just want it to stop.At least the temps are in the 60s so I can still ride. Just have to trudge through the mud to catch Cheese. Who seems to like the farthest corner of the pasture.

So my saddle fitter just left. She brought over a Borne Flexion 360 or Countour (cant remember the model name) for me to try. The tree is meant for a flat backed horse like Rex. As soon as I got on, I liked how it felt. But as soon as I picked up the trot, I loved it. I could actually keep my leg on him and STABLE. I felt 100% balanced and rock solid. It made me feel so much more confident riding too. I have only cantered at home 2 times by myself with no trainer. After 3 mins of trotting, I picked up the canter. No reservations at all. And when we were done, I was actually looking forward to riding Rex tomorrow. Im normally happy with once a week as it can be a little bit of a stuggle riding him as I didnt feel totally balanced. I thought it was mostly me but I now realize how much of it was my old saddle. It was a great feeling to ride him with conviction - no worries, etc. Shes leaving it with me to try tomorrow too. Now I just need to get my Amerigo listed and clean up all of my old tack that I dont use (I have way too much) and get some stuff sold to pay for it. In the mean time, talk to the Bank of Mom to see if I can use her CC for the balance and then give her the money as I sell everything....

On a side note - SUPER hot again today - over 90. Ugh. Ponys are happily inside under fans munching hay.

Hehehe Shantel...that is how I bought my Albion, bank of Dad and I paid it back as I sold the other saddles, etc:-) I actually think I still owe some:-)