Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #30

Im hoping she will do it again. Thats how I got my Amerigo. At least this time the saddle I am selling will pay for all but $1000 of it. The old saddle I sold for the Amerigo barely covered 1/3 of it. BTW Its the Borne Contour Open Seat. Love it so far.

Ain't parents grand?

Went and helped Beau's new person saddle him and ride him today. He was a bit nervous with a new person saddling him and got real jumpy being a silly old Beau. So we started completely over, her doing it all. He was good the 2nd time and she was grateful I was there. Then she had an amazing ride on him. I couldn't be more thrilled and to see him perform so well. My trainer highly complimented me on a the great job I did with him, so I could sell him now and someone else can really enjoy him. I could not have done it without my awesome wonderful trainer, that is for sure. Beau took a lot of time and a whole lot of patience. She is going to take him to a schooling show next month and I get to go with her. I am loving this!

Sold our washer and dryer today. This house came with a set, so figured we'd sell them instead of store them. Went and bought ceiling fans and hubby and son just blew a circuit installing one. :happy0203::twitch: They fixed it and now it's working just fine.

Anyone ever heard of Peter Maddison Greenwell from England? He is doing a clinic in central TX, so I am going to audit tomorrow and also groom and braid a horse for a friend. Some Dressage show is filming it for their TV program, so everyone is braiding and looking real spiffy. I am looking forward to it. Heard he's awesome!!

Bobby is a growing boy. He now stands just over 15.1 and is really looking like a horse. Has such a great personality!

Well, lots has changed here! I'm in Louisiana now working for a sawmill. So far I love it! But my previous employer has been **** to deal with. They've tried to deny me unemployment, they disclosed my disability info to my current employer (who for some unknown reason didn't care??), and they don't care at all. I ended up reporting them to HIPPa or whatever for disclosing medical info without my permission, not that anything will come of that.

But we moved the horses. They are boarded for the moment, but we will be getting into our rental house in 1.5 weeks, and we only need to put up one small section of fencing to bring the horses home. We are in the middle of nowhere, but lots of trail riding around! I'm hoping to get into some endurance with Mir, and I'll still do dressage with annie.

Miss annie is growing up. She's 3 now, only 15.1h but still very lanky and babyish. I've ridden her a few times, and she's coming along OK. Very nice gaits, feels more like a hunter right now, but still only a few rides. She's a rearer though. She will decide she doesn't want to go and start rearing. It's getting better though. I need to get her a saddle just for her soon though. Once hubby gets a job and we have a bit of money saved. Hubby's western saddle needs to be sold and replaced too, as Mir has flattened out too much for it :(

Glad the job is going well. And dont underestimate HIPPA. They will tear into someones *** for violating their laws/rules, esp like that. You could sue them (your old job). HIPPA is some serious stuff!

Boocoo-Glad to hear Beau is working out for his new owner. I am sure since you are helping the woman it is an easier transition for all.

shiloh-Congrats on the new job. Finding a job you like is hard. They at least seem better than your pld employers. Annie sounds like a little stinker. The joys of working with greenies. I have never had to deal with a rearer. The problem horses I ride seem to be all buckers. Not sure wivh is worse.

It seems we all are dealing with getting new saddles. I traded my arab western pleasure saddle for a dressage saddle. So expect pics from me. You guys were a big help last time. The saddle was really nice but I only used it once every couple of years. It was the saddle that had fit my hubby but I just got a Bob Marshall that fits him. So it was time to get rif of it. Since switching to a treeless AP and western Cheese has been doing do well. If this dressage saddle doesn't work out I think I am going to sell the rest of my saddles and get an Ansur. We have had less stiffness issues. There is still some tension in her neck but easier to warm her up out of it.

Took Cheese out for a trail ride with a couple of friends. She decided a white flow in a group of purple and white was scary. She lowered her head, blew at it, and jumped sideway. Than continued on like it was nothing. Silly mare.Started trail ridinf/riding with a frind a bit more. Great for me. Either Cheese gets out on a trail or I get to ride a couple at her barn.

May be able to attend another Ulf clinic later in the fall. I really hope so. I really enjoyed the other one.

Well, I have news. I am finally well from my broken ribs/collar bone from earlier this spring. Rubin had a few issues w/health this summer as well. He ended up being navicular. Totally not sure from where--clean XR from pre-purchase, never a lameness issue, etc. It was completely devistating at the time, but luckily we have a super, super vet. He did Tildren, by isolating the feet and so far, he's been 100% sound and the prognosis is really great. He's back to his normal work load and looking good. If it all goes like I am hoping he'll be doing 3rd and possible working 4th in the spring.

I decided it may be a good time to look for either an investment or backup. Play it by ear to see which. I found a lovely mare in Denmark who has the same sire (DeNoir) and similar on the mare side, although it is actually stronger. She is 4 and just lovely. At this point she has 3 months under saddle. At her saddle grading, she scored high enough to be invited to the Elite Mare show and is one of 51 mares invited to this particular class. There was something on it on Eurodressage today, which was very cool!! I adore the breeder who has been keeping her and lining up the trainer, etc for me, since July. Her name is Ergo Mackenzie. Anyhow, excited to see how she does at the mare show for a medal and then she ships to the US October 4th or so.

I would really like an uneventful fall though, so that's my wish. What's everyone else been up to?

Glad you are back in the saddle, and sorry to hear about Rubin! The mare sounds really nice, keep us updated on her!!

Well, for me, the season had some pretty high highs, and some very low lows. Which I why I've kept pretty quiet on it.

The good news.

Riley and I went all get out from April onward to try and get our last Bronze scores, somehow knowing deep down we might not get a second shot.

We learned changes and the third level tests, and in 6 weeks from riding my first clean change, we got our 2 scores of 60 and 61 at 3rd at Dressage at Lexington.

3 days after the show, he came up lame.

Xrays showed a shocking progression in the navicular, plus the deep digital flexor tendon has calcified. It was fine in the last xray 4 months ago. Now the vet thinks the tendon is tearing because there's not as much flexibility. He also has lost mobility in the joint already, you can tell at the walk.

So, I retired him, pretty much for real this time. He has not handled retirement well. He's actually more lame then when we started, even with injections and stall / play pen rest. Also, he's had some type of virus/ infection where every week he'll pop up with a fever and really swollen legs, vasculitis something.

He's mopey and follows me around all bored.

:(

In three days I will be showing in a dressage suitability show. I have my patterns memorized and we have practiced them plenty of times. Monday one of my mares started acting like an idiot and is not staying between my hips or listening to my seat very well. She is completely ignoring my hands and long story short my back/shoulders are killing me from her being so heavy yesterday. I have three days to get things fixed, so wish me luck!!!

Thankfully, my horse (who has been under saddle for only a month!) is ready to rock and roll and has the best attitude about anything I ask her!

Anyway, I figured I'd vent a little since I'm extremely frustrated with this mare. Her owner does not push her very hard but since she has a broken foot right now I am the one showing her for the next couple months!

Kiss the Sky- Hopefully Riley will learn to enjoy his retirement and recover enough to be comfortable at least!

KTS, I'm so incredibly sorry about Riley. It's a hard, hard thing isn't it, especially when they love their jobs. You are both in my thoughts. Congrats on your Bronze--I'd seen that on FB. What a special thing.

Blondie--good luck at your show.

PMJ-Sorry to hear about Rubin Good vets are worth their weight in gold. So do we get pics of the mare you sre considering.

KTS-Congrats on the bitter sweet bronxe. It sucks that you have to retire Riley.

Blonfie-How did your show go?

Summer has been up and down. Just finished vacation. Didn't go any where just had to use it or lose it. I get to be an aunt again. My sister is due mid Oct. My niece started kidergarden.Kind of sucks I don't get to see her much with my schedule. Been having some cold laser therapy done on Cheese. Has helped her immensly. Trainer got injured in the spring and hasn't been bacj. She was a new mom so I am thinking she is rethinking the whole teaching/training thing. Had a clinic with Uld in Aug. It was at a new place so I expected Cheese to be a pain. So I got the first ride of the day, less people watching my mare act up. However the mare proved me wrong. She was fanrastic. She was relaxed and stretching into contact and only a little bit lookey. Got some real good work from her. Yesterfays ride was bad. Cheese was in season and it was the first really cool day of fall. My riding sucked. So yeah not the best ride ever but I had hubby video and I can see what I need to fix.Going to spend fall and winter looking at trainers. With no indoor winter riding is almost impossible.

I have been working with a friends stallion. The one I rode in a gaming series last winter. He naturally wants to collect . Very differnt from cheese. Looking at taking him to one of the bigger theraputic shows in the spring to see how we do.I know we should do well in the nondressage classes. So we are really focusing on our dressage. He is a real fun horse to ride when he is hot. I got the chance to trail ride him in the spring.It is going to be problem of bitting him down to a snaffle.A girl who owned him for a couple years ruined his moth. He is getting better but it all takes time.

So back to work this week. Figures the owners of the house chose to get the roof done this weekend/begining of the week. Like getting back on a night time schedule isn't hard enough.

Blondie, I have a few tips to help with leaning if you're interested. I have the queen of the leaners, who is not very light and soft in the contact in just a fat oval mouth loose ring. It took time and the right tactics, but it's possible.

CSA, thats good that Cheese is starting to work nicely sometimes, even in stressful situations. Have you tried raspberry leaves for her heat cycles? Helps with Lucy to keep her from getting to hypersensitive to the leg, so I can use my leg without her freaking out. Not a huge difference, but every little bit helps with the hotheads.

My 3 are hanging in there. Lucy hasn't been ridden since June due to not sweating, but she was really going well before that. Nice canter HP, just needed work on the trot HP. Not enough bend, and she tends to want to dump her weight onto her forehand, probably because I look down at her neck. Mir has decided his favorite job is to tote around hubby, but now that I have a saddle that works for him, he's doing better. Just don't have a good flat place to work on his canter. Annie is trotting poles and trail riding, and has been pretty good about not trying to kill me. She's the smartest horse I've ever sat on. Now I just hope she keeps growing, as she's only about 15.1h still at 3.5 yo. But JP's other horses the same age are about the same size and build, and they usually make 15.3h to 16h and wide. Annie is still gangly and leggy with the pencil neck thing going on, so she's definitely not done growing.

UGH! I'm so P.O.'d! I did the dressage suitability in western tack, and all the other horse/rider pairs were western pleasure type. The class description says the judge would be looking for consistent contact and reaching, forward movement. I did the first level with my young mare and second level with the mare I showed for a friend.

All of the western pleasure type riders that rode with one hand and a droopy rein and had a shuffling trot placed higher than I did. My horses did so good, very forward, very quiet, and on the bit. I don't understand at all. The judge was decked out in wrangler, I just don't get it. Dressage suitability? The level two went the same, but with a gumpy lope in the mix with things. I was second to last, my sister (who's horse is very round and has big forward movement) placed last. I thought she would for sure in it!

Later in the day I did my dressage suitability pattern, again the same western pleasure people scored way higher than I did. I looked at the class description before hand just to double check and it said the same thing, looking for forward movement, bending in turns (the other horses had ZERO bend), and contact with the horses mouth using two hands. I placed third, but the two in front of me were riding with one hand, loose rein, no bend, and drug their feet in that ridiculous jog. Oh, and the same wrangler poster child judged it.

DID I MISS SOMETHING HERE!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!? :bang_head:

BTW I'm not meaning to offend and WP riders here, I am just upset because if I knew that is what the judge was looking for I would have went to a different show!!!

My girls kicked butt in their trail classes, and over all I'm VERY happy with them, especially the one who only has 30 days under saddle! AND she was in heat and behaved like a lady!

Shiloh: I would love to have some more tools in my pocket to fix her up! She got better over the week, but still not where I want her to be. And when you say JP, who are you talking about?

JP Giacomini. My filly is by his stallion Luke. I know he has a bad rep in central TX, but he and his wife have treated me very very well, and I've learned a ton from him. My experiences with him have been the exact opposite of the rumors I've heard from a couple people in TX.

The big thing with a leaner is that it takes 2 to pull. They lean, the rider just pulls back harder to "keep the frame". It never goes anywhere.

When she leans, lift your hands and push them forward a hair. She can't lean if your hands are lifted, there is nothing to lean against.

I switched my leaner to web reins, and I never ride with gloves. If my hands start to get the least bit sore, that's my sign that she's leaning and I'm allowing her to do it.

What bit do you have her in?

Oh small world. My sister has a few foals out of Hipo and a couple out of Luke. We love JP, he is welcome at our barn anytime. I am very sad he moved from Dallas! We actually have a young stallion out of Hipo we bred for the first time this spring, looking forward to seeing what he produces next year! I've been working a pinto filly out of Hipo under saddle the past couple weeks, the fillies always seem to be hotter than the colts. Did you get a chance to meet Hussar before he died?

I've done that and it only works while my hands are lifted, once I go back she starts to hang again! She was just recently bitted, so I have her in a basic O ring snaffle. When I rode her in a cavesson we never had that problem.

Glondie-What type od show was it (open. AQHA)?Sorry it went so bad for you. Unfortunately not all judges are good. It sounds like your horses had a positive experience . So at least something good came out of it.

shiloh-Cheese heat cyles not to bad. She fet a little stiff one day and is just easily distracted. Other than that she slows down a bit. I had to kick her to move forward at one point. So basically I had a horse who really didn't want to work who randomly spooked at things.I think Cheese has finally decided snaffles are for slow work and everything else is for speed. Between all the dressage work, going treeless, and the cold laser therapy her ring work has mellowed out.She can still get a bit jiggy at the walk for cooldown if work was light but overall she keeps getting better as we develope more finesse.

Speaking of finesse how much do you guys mess with the walk? Cheese will do a 4 beated walk but can be a little quick at times.Personally I don't like messing with the walk to much and am usually happy that we are walking. Especially considering a couple years back I was whining on here that Cheese would not walk. I also do not want to baby her. It the will she get fried if I ask to much thing. For example, even though I can now use leg without her taking off I still have the the thought of "OMG I can't add leg she is going to take off'" I have to tell myself it is ok and to breath.

Back to work tonight. So forced myself to get up when I woke up at 2am. Roofers are still working on the roof today. So tonight is going to suck. Oh well got a four day weekend coming up mod Oct. Took some time off to help my sister out a bit.Trying a ranch verstility/trail challange this weekend with Cheese. Just something different tp try. Cheese tends to be good at a trail course and we needed something to spice up our work. I think we were slowley getting burned out on dressage work. It had been really wet for awhile an we couldn't hit the trails.

Blondie, I just saw your location and went "oh ****, here we do again". Small world! I love my Luke filly. She has her moments, but it comes from her dam, who is very hot and hypersensitive, but who also has a fabulous work ethic and is a blast to ride. Annie is the smartest horse I've ever sat on though. I taught her TOF over a month and a half ago, and hadn't messed with it again till last night. It was like she learned it yesterday. She also jumped a small crossrail yesterday for the first time. Didn't even look at it twice. For being a sensitive little thing, she's really very level-headed.

Are yours purebreds? Annie is half-Luso, half Appendix. I would love to see pics of yours. And no, I never met Hussar.

Probably your mare isn't strong enough to carry herself, and she's choosing to take the easy way out by making you do it for her. Keep your hands lifted as long as she's staying round. She will eventually learn to carry herself. It just takes time. It's not something you can fix overnight. I know its frustrating.

I would put her in something like the JP oval mouth loose ring. It's a soft bit, but it's harder for them to lean on. Plus, some of them will lean more on a thinner bit, and not many of them work well with a plain single-joint because it pokes them in the roof of the mouth.

CSA, I do some work in the walk, more with Lucy, but you have to be very very careful not to mess it up. If you are having even the slightest bit of trouble keeping it a true 4-beat walk, stop. Walk is the easiest gait to ruin. Most of my walk work is suppling, LY, SI, that kind of thing. With Lucy, she needs the walk work to loosen up. With the young ones, I review things at the walk before moving on to the trot.

Well well well. Mr. Farrier called me this am. Riley has a huge abscess by his heel, finally able to see it after 2 shoeings! Didn't show up on xrays, nor hoof testers when he first came up so suddenly lame. Farrier says not to get hoped up per future rideability cuz the navicular and all that junk is still there. But that he should definitely be more comfortable, and not so lame.

And someone wants to place a deposit on my mare for sale, a perfect home. Good news today!

KTS: That's great! Congrats! It's so hard selling horses, but finding the perfect home makes it a lot easier to part with them. I keep in contact with all of the people I have sold horses to.

Shiloh: I'm thinking that is the majority of her problem, the first few days we worked on it she did really well, but now that I have been asking her for longer periods of time she just quits on me. I want to switch her to a 3 piece snaffle this week. Honestly, since the show is over and her owner will be off crutches this week, I don't have to work her any more, but I really want to fix this!!!

I can post a couple pics of our Hipo babies! You tell me, crossbred Luso or pure Luso?

chachamay600.jpg

ReinaLS001.jpg

vistosafog2010.jpg

hawkmarch01.jpg

First three are of mares the fourth is the junior stallion we are expecting a foal from in the spring.

nitrofeb03.jpg

nitrofeb02.jpg

Here's the Luke colt, Nitroso!

Edited by Blondie*

They all look like crosses, but with Luso's it can be VERY hard to tell, especially depending on the cross. I'm totally jealous you got the buckskin though. I requested buckskin, but my filly was bay. Very pretty bay, but still bay. But that's my only complaint about her. Well, I do wish she were a hand taller, but given her dam is only 15.2 1/2 hands, I'm not surprised!

I don't have many pics of Annie from recently, but here are a couple from her as a filly. Her movement is so light, balanced, lovely. She doesn't lose it under saddle either.

I did LOVE Hipo. I lunged him several times, and for being pretty hot, his work ethic was just fabulous. He tries soooooo hard, really concentrates on what you want. Such a neat horse. Not a good match for my very hot mare though due to the hotness. Luke gave her a brain, without losing the sensitivity. Gave her a pretty high opinion of herself too. Luke thinks pretty highly of himself too, which he totally should! Have you ever taken any lessons from JP?

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

_IGP3794.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

The last one is her first or second ride. She was a butt to break though. She decided that the leg meant rear. I had to use touches with the whip to retrain that one, because she got touching her with the whip. Then when we started cantering, she would get hunchy and buck some. But that's more normal for babies IME. My gelding and his full sister did the same thing.

Does your Luke baby move like Luke?

I've taken one with him, but witnessed more than a few! He's a hoot, that's for sure! Lol

CUTE CUTE mare!!! What is her dam?! How old is she now? We sold the Luke colt shortly after these pictures, he had big fancy movement and was a show off for sure! Definitely the most photogenic horse I've ever seen! What did you think of Istoso?

BTW all of those horses have Kiger dams! :grin:

I've ridden some with JP. He's a wonderful instructor. I did have some trouble the first time I rode one of his horses, Fabio, because I was so worried I would mess him up. So of course I sat there and did very little. But I've always gotten a ton out of riding with him, especially on my horse. He's a very gifted trainer too. I've only seen one other person ride my mare even close to as well as he did.

Annie's dam is appendix QH, not registered. Nice, classy mare, correct movement, tons of sit, very sound, but HOT, complicated, and not very fancy. She's 20 now, but could easily do all the PSG work when she was younger. Throws out a lovely piaffe when she wants to GO and you don't let her. Annie is 3.5 now, was not quite 3 in the under saddle pic. That pic was January, and she turned 3 in April.

I liked Istoso. I prefer the ones that are a bit flashier in movement, and grey worries me due to melanoma, so I would never breed for one. JP actually thought Isto would make a better match for my mare, but I just loved Luke. Itso is a very sweet horse, and has some nice foals. He really passes his movement. Even his grandbabies trot just like he does.

Luke has a son who would be 5 now who was sold to Canada, out of an Isto mare. Fabulous mover, very uphill like Isto, but fancier like Luke. Really very nice horse. I was sad when JP sold him. I would take 10 just like him.

Wow. So much has gone on since I last posted on here. I know I keep up with a few of yall on FB and have posted a little on H/J forum.

Lets see - last post is talking about getting my new saddle for Rex and having a great ride. Well that next Thursday, fitter came out, rode in it again, had the best ride on him Ive had without Mr Trainer, rode him on Saturday, and then on Sunday (the day before Memorial Day) he got hurt.

Long story short, Rex, Layla, and Bailey were standing in the corner. Saw me coming out to bring them in, Layla starts snarking at Rex, pinning her ears, acting like shes going to bite him to get him to move. He canters off and kicks out. This is all normal and no one ever actually touches anyone. Except that day.

I hear smack. Rex had kicked out and Layla had lunged to bite at him and they were closer than each other thought and when Rexs leg came down, it smacked into Laylas lower right incisor. I thought Layla had a broken jaw or something but she was fine except for a little nick on her gum.

Rex however had a slice on the outside of his left hind. I brought him in to hose it and as I did, the skin around the cut started "inflating" around the cut. Crap. I knew it had broken completely through the skin and was more like a puncture. It was right between the digital tendon and suspensory. I was freaking. Vet came out, he got antibiotics, bute, and I had to keep it wrapped and treat it as a puncture and keep it open so it could drain and heal from the inside out.

After 4 weeks, it had healed nicely, with just a tiny piece of proud flesh at the surface (have to get the proud flesh to grow to fill in the hole and then use granulex to get rid of the excess). Vet had suggested getting him ultrasounded to make sure everything was ok though he has never been off. Vet doesnt have ultrasound machine so I was going to have to take him somewhere.

Well, it was like June 27th and I came home from work to see Layla had not eaten her dinner, had laid down in her stall, and was in a lot of discomfort. Gave her banamine and took her out to walk. She was very dull and head lowered, NOT feeling good. 30 mins later and hardly any improvement. Vet came out - little to no gut motility on either side, slightly dehydrated, and given she was not responding to banamine, I decided to take her the vet clinic in Ocala.

Long and short of it, she had mild impaction and was dehydrated. Gave her fluids and that Thursday was ok to come home. I figured if I had to make the drive to go get her that I would take Rex with me and get him ultrasounded. The night before we left, I had taken the wrap off for 2 hours just to let the leg breathe. When I came back out, his leg was HUGE and swollen. I was really worried it was his suspensory.

Ultrasound was good - all soft tissue was fine. However, his lateral splint was fractured. Its non weight bearing, hence no lameness. Options were to do surgery and remove it or wait and see if it will heal. Either option was good and would not harm him. So I decided to wait.

I went back 45 days later, new xrays taken, it was 60-70% healed. Also got xrays for a baseline on his front feet as we were going to put on shoes and all of those angles were right on, etc. Vet said to wait another 2-3 months and then re xray and see where we were. If its healed, we are good. But if its not 100% healed then, we will need surgery.

Its been 6 weeks since the last vet visit. His leg looks SO good and only a tiny callus from the break and its not too big so its not interfering with the suspensory. He got his front shoes on (flat and thin soles) and has been feeling good. Growing like crazy. Hes got to be right at 17h (Im 5'8 so 17h tall and hes at the top of my head) and hes getting wide. And not even in work!

When I went back for our check up 6 weeks ago, I took Layla and got her hocks done again. Sept 1 my friend started leasing her. Shes a rerider and learning all over again. She and Layla went out last weekend to our first fall show for our GMO and scored a 73.3% in front of an ® judge who is VERY tough at Intro A and a 69.1% in front of a (L) judge who was told to judge this show as it was rated, and that was Intro B and ended up high point champion of the day. It was her and Laylas 10th ride together and Laylas first show in exactly a year and my friends 2nd in a year.

Layla is feeling great though. I still get on and keep her tuned up. Friend is paying for pour in pads up front and man does Layla like them. I also have her on Equithrive and seems to do well on it. Just got home from riding today and she was wonderful.

My boarder/friend had some major life changes come up and had to sell her horse. I took care of that for her as she just couldnt handle it. I had him for sale for 1.5 wks and he sold to a lovely family that works with my trainer. So now its just Layla and Rex at home. I took down the wall between the two 10x10 stalls and now Layla has a 10x20 stall like Rex.

Work front I am still at my same office. I am now like the #2 assistant. My boss only wants our "head" assistant and myself working on difficult cases and Im basically the go to person for implants and implant supported dentures. We are now attaching and fixing dentures to implants at the surgery time and I am doing a lot of the work the lab usually would to get everything attached. Its very detailed and skill driven work and I just really have a knack for it. I accredit it to my artsy side. I got a raise and feel very confident in my position at work and am really enjoying it. I like doing the more difficult cases and love that my boss has so much confidence in my abilities. I am bacially in charge of all of our major cases and big clients (talking $35-80k treatment plans). He now just lets me do my own thing and leaves the room so I can work (I am actually better than him at the lab stuff and he knows it lol). But hes always saying to the pt's how good I am. And so many patients ask if I am a dentist or going to be a dentist. Flattering but no! lol My one pateint calls me Dr Shantel. LOL But very good there.

Im still maintaining 45 +/- lbs down from last year. I feel good though really need to go to the gym to lose the rest. With my work schedule and then the barn, and the fact the gym is 25 mins away, it makes it really hard.

I also have been having issues again with my endometriosis and went back to the Dr and yes, its flaring up again. Only way to treat it is surgery. Then, cant remember if I posted about the HORRID pain from gallbladder attacks that started last year. Well I had a 4th one in August while in San Antonio visiting my brother. It was so bad I was hyperventilating and sobbing in pain. BTW I do not cry when I am in pain unless its almost unbearable.

I had an ultrasound and nuclear scan on my gallbladder. Its functions fine but I have gallstones. They said normally gallstones are not a big deal UNLESS they are causing pain. Since mine are, it will only get worse, and they recommend taking it out. So Im trying to get the 2 surgeries scheduled on the same day so Im only under once.

I was worried about what caused the gallstones, like was it how I ate or something? But I looked it up. 20% of women get them, if you are on oral hormone therapy (IE BCP) you are more likely (and I have to be on BCP to control the endo), and if you have rapid weight loss (and I guess 30lbs in 5-6 months is rapid though I changed NOTHING other than getting my hormones in check with the BCP and surgery), you will get them. So I was basically screwed and the things that I had to do to control the endo caused the stones. LOL So surgery is scheduled for Nov 2nd this year. I have a consult with the surgeon for my gallbladder next week. Hopefully they can do the surgery on the 2nd (my reproductive endocrinologist is the one that is scheduled for the 2nd for my endo issues).

WHEW. Sorry its so long and kudos if you read all of that. A lot has happened in the last 4 months!

Heres some pics to summerize the above updates

The day after Rexs injury - doesnt look like much, esp a broken bone

253479_1989047053032_1449009522_32253039_3622571_n.jpg

This was the end of June and thats me trying to peak over his back. Hes even taller now

251028_2041513724666_1449009522_32321236_7059712_n.jpg

This is Aug 28th so yes, hes grown into his head a little but I think his head is bigger again.. so I think hes going through another growth spurt right now. And check out that left hind - looks great

314972_2241659728191_1449009522_32543754_3218912_n.jpg

Here is 4 wks post injury when I found out it was a broken splint

315532_2249080673710_1449009522_32554654_7315513_n.jpg

And this is 2.5 months post injury with a good callus forming - the light grey in between the broken parts is actually new bone filling in

303874_2249123714786_1449009522_32554713_2474542_n.jpg

This is my friend Heather riding Layla at the show. It dumped at like 6am and the rings were SLOSHING. After calling tests, I would go to move and it was trying to pull my boot off.

298048_10150327539053938_722188937_8127458_1572712713_n.jpg

Her "9" halt

318859_10150327541603938_722188937_8127469_1104607866_n.jpg

This is from last month

185232_2239746720367_1449009522_32540688_1282849_n.jpg

KTM-Is Rex ever going to stop growing? lol. Conrats on the weight loss. I hear ya about going to the gym. I know I need more cardio but have a hard time motivating myself. I just need to go outside eun.

Interesting weekend. Trainer finally got everything straughtened out and said we can restart lessons. I haven't heard from her since April so I thought it was a lost cause. Took Cheese to a ranch versitility event. Very small indoor and Cheese lost her marbles. Want to just go. However she stood like an angel for the ground tie. At one point she went to step forward I pointed and said back and she did. Then she stood there pawing a bit. So you could see she did not want to stand there but decided to behave. Silly mare. This was held at a cutting place. Lady running it suggested I try Cheese in a curb it I try it again. My thinking is how is that going to change her training. It was a fun experience but I just think cutting people have some strange ideas/

Friend had a greenie there who decided to not stand. So she wanted to stop off at some trails and do a little training. So I said yeah. Cheese was still hot but fun.She has this extended trot that is nothing but power and she can out trot most horses canter. Very fun to ride but she hasn't done it in over a year. Well I guess she felt good and did that for half the ride. I just don't see hown people can sit trots like that. It was a short ride but good to let the mare have some fun. Cheese loves trail rides.

With all the rain and hunidity we have been getting I am now cleaning/conditioning my western saddle for the second time in a month.Ineed to find a good cover for it. Thankfully my english tack seem to be mold free. Planning on cleaning it after all the rain is done though. Trying to clear up some rain rot on Cheese's hind end.Most og it is cleared just a pain to deal with. I tend to over due things and am washing everything that touches Cheese anywgere. So I have been washing saddle pads and brushes several times a week.

Been following facebook about Rexy, Shantel. Glad it's healing well!

Amore did the SAME thing pretty much. Came in with a puncture wound, put her on antibiotics and cleaned it out for a week, wasn't quite healing right, though she was completely sound. Have the vet come out to take an Xray to make sure nothing was stuck in there still- the splint bone was shattered into like 6 floating pieces! No option but surgery, she was back in work in less than 2 months. No lameness. Though the leg stocks up when she's in a stall for a while, so you may have that too. A boarder's horse also fractured it (before she was with so, so not sure how) and didnt have surgery, it healed fine, but also stocked up in a stall.

As for Riley news.

Still dealing with the abscess. Bloodwork is normal. Vet's words regarding a comeback . . . "He might surprise us yet."

So . . . who knows? The big red idiot might be back under saddle soon?!

Retirement was a complete failure anyway, haha. I told him there is no social security left for the rest of us, you can't be retired at 16!

Oh I REALLY hope its just the abscess and he will be up and at 'em soon! These boys - I swear! They really know how to play with your emotions... and wallet! And thanks for the good stories on the splints. Ive talked to a lot of people and apparently they arent "that big of a deal" esp when its the lateral splint as it is non weight bearing.

As for him growing... who knows! His dam is 17h and all of his siblings on her side are at least 17h if not taller even when the sire was shorter. LOL I really need a stick.... I got his SP shipment in today. XL velcro bell boots JUST fit him. LOL And I got the SP deluxe sheet and mid weight blanket. They are 81s but I read they run big. They fit perfectly with a little room to grow. Very impressed with the quality. Also saw that they put Laylas story in another catalog. :happy0203:

csa, good for you to get Cheese to at least mind even if she didnt want to. I forget, did you ever try the di mag malate from performance equine? At 40g a day for 10-14 days? There have just been SO many success stories with this stuff.

And I hear you on the humidity.. cant even enjoy 86 degrees because its 86% humidity. We just had a DUMPING storm tonight with really bad lightning. I was driving my truck to go meet a friend for dinner and there was so much water on the road that it was spraying up over my hood. Mind you I have the new body style F150 with 33" tires on it. Though it was nights like tonight that I was thankful I spent $1600 on my tires as even with all of the water and all, I never once felt like my truck lost any traction or control.

Here is the front coming over my house this evening when I got home. About 10 mins later it was dumping

319681_2332756245547_1449009522_32631040_1117492551_n.jpg

Edited by KrazyTBMare

I can?t even remember the last time I posted an update here, so I will try to keep this as brief as I can. Lieto has been making great progress. I feel like he has about doubled in size though. He hasn't grown taller at all, still the same height at the withers (just over 17.1hh), but he has been filling out like mad. I had to get a new saddle for him at the beginning of the year. Finally found a really nice used Albion SLK Ultima that fits us both very well, but I'm still having to have the saddle fitter out almost every other month to have it adjusted. He is just growing and packing on the muscle so much it is ridiculous. I feel like every time we just start to make some real progress, we hit some sort of a setback. Whether it is a growth spurt or a saddle fitting issue or some sort of growing pains, just seems to always be something, and he is a total drama queen that overreacts to everything and starts bucking and rearing and pitching unholy fits until we get it sorted out. We have been in a "time out" phase again to sort out his latest issue ? a popped splint on his right front. It wasn?t an issue when it first happened in mid-July, but he managed to play too hard in turnout last Monday and must have knocked himself a good one directly on it, so back to icing and wrapping and rest for a couple of weeks. I had the vet out to xray it, and it isn?t fractured. She just wants to take some extra time to rest him because he must have really knocked himself a good one in turnout. Hard to keep a goofy youngster quiet.

Some pics from a practice schooling show we did in June ? a Ride-Review-Ride where we did First Level Test 2:

First Level Test 2 Pics

The video link from the June practice schooling show ? I?m only going to link this not embed it as he was rather naughty this day. It was his first real outing, and he rather lost his brain. We have come a long way since then, and I had two other schooling shows lined up for him, but each time something else got in the way of our going so . . . next season!!!

Here are some recent pictures that Ara took for me when he was here visiting in July:

Lieto0443s.jpg

Lieto0496s.jpg

Lieto0503s.jpg

Lieto0525s.jpg

The entire album of photos from the photo shoot that Ara did for me. He is becoming quite the photographer:

July Photo Shoot Pics

Some videos taken earlier this month which are more representative of where we are at this point ? a solid First Level schooling some Second Level stuff. Ignore the mane. His topline is NOT that impressive. I have been too lazy to trim his mane since we did our practice schooling show back in June so the part that normally shave off to make it thin enough to actually be able to braid has grown out into a lovely mohawk of about 4" long, and his mane is grown out ridiculously long.

Trot work:

Canter work:

So that's my Lieto update. Jack and the kids are well. We have been busy with the boat this summer, and Jack just bought a new boat which we are working to get cleaned up and in shape for next season. Work is the same. Busy as ever. Nat and Ara are both in college. George is in the Army now and just got shipped of to Kuwait for a year. I think that about catches me up.

~Shelly~

Boocoo ? Congrats on selling Beau! Sounds like you found a great new owner. Bobby sure has grown a ton. Time for some updated pics.

KTS ? Congrats on your Bronze! Sorry to hear about Riley pulling up lame. Hopefully he will bounce back in his usual fashion.

Shantel ? Rex has grown a ton. Amazing how fast these youngsters change. So sorry to hear about his broken splint bone. Glad to hear it is healing well. Sounds like you were making really great progress prior to that. I certainly know that feeling. You look fantastic!!! So glad to hear that Layla made it through that colic episode. She looks like she bounced right back with flying colors. Sounds like your job is really taking off. That is fantastic.

CSA - Sounds like you had a great clinic. Glad to hear your trainer got things sorted out so that you can restart lessons again.

Blondie ? Lovely horses!!

Shiloh ? We need some recent pictures of Annie and Mir!! At the rate these young ones change and grow, you have to take pictures OFTEN!!! I would not have recognized that under saddle pic as Annie, I can tell you that. She has definitely grown a ton since the last pics I have seen of her.

~Shelly~

KTM-No I never did try the di mag malate. Cheese does pretty good on regular magnisium. Show situations are a work in progress. We can now school of property quietly. We can go quiet in a schooling ring. However as soon as we are in a ring ourselves without someone instructing or Cheese hears the mic click she loses a few brain cells. Remember we are up against 10 or so years of gaming shows so it is coming slowly. When we started on this dressage journey we couldn't even go into the schooling ring with out loosing it. Cheese is teaching me to enjoy the trip not just the end result.

Shelly-Hi there stranger. Lieto looks awesome. So he was a bit naughty but not to terrible. Trust I saw worse at a local gaming show this summer. A pony was being a bit naughty so the teens mom decided to school it. The thing just reared and spun. They could not get it away from the gate. I got a reminder why gaming people get a bad rap. Sounds like a busy but fun summer.I think you ladies here are crazy with your tall horses. I look at your pics and can obly think the ground looks way to far from where you are sitting.

Went to ride after work and Cheese had a spot of rain rot where the saddle goes. Plus my one bridle was covered in mold. I really hate this wet humid weather. So decided to just lunge and go home and clean tack. Lessons start again next week thankfully. Got into this funk and my poor eq. is not helping.

just jumping in here, i have an 8yr old dutch riding pony ive had for 4 years and done all the riding myself, with the help of my wonderful trainer! it is both our first journey doing dressage, and it has been fun!

i just have to brag a little though, we just finished champs at 2nd level on sunday, he got the past 3 days off, and my trainer rode him today, his 1st time in a double bridle (1st time ever in a curb bit or anything other than a simple snaffle!!!!), his 1st time ever doing flying changes, and he did 3, the 2 first ones were late behind but the last one was PERFECT!!!! i am such a proud momma! also it was my 1st time really seeing anyone work him and he looked SOOOO freakin cute, he is so much cuter than what i imagine him looking like!! im so proud i have such a fancy little pone pone!