Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #30

Well, got dealt a low blow today.

*** Please don't read any further if you don't want to read about "White People Problems-- Just want to vent!!****

( I don't think I've done an internet vent before, I hope it's rather cathartic so I can sleep tonight.)

I've been looking for a horse to lease and show 3rd+ for OVER a year now. Riley was not and will never been ah . . . dependably sound, so I needed something I could really take lessons, clinics, campaign on, etc. I've had seriously, less than 10 real dressage lessons in the last 3 years (real dressage, meaning, like "woohoo, a shoulder in!" instead of "flat work- here's on the bit 101" that I have been doing with the babies the last 5 years).

So, in March, my mom's friend calls me out of the blue "Hey, my daughter got offered this horse for lease, can you come take a look at him, and let me know what you think? We'd also like to board him at your place and take lessons."

So I meet up with her, watch videos, and go, "I know this horse!" He had been competing at Grand Prix. I told them to hop on it and lease him for sure! It was basically a free lease! Then she offered that we both half lease him, since he'd be at my place, daughter played lacrosse for school and couldn't ride but a few days a week. It was going to work out great, daughter was a training level rider, I could keep him going at 3rd-4th while she learned, and we'd both get our scores.

I was super duper excited, since Riley was lame at this point.

They got the lease, owner wanted horse to stay at her place first 30 days to make sure it was a good match, sure sure.

I keep in touch. Well, owner doesn't want anyone else to lease him. I was bummed, but hoped she would change her mind once he was here and I could meet her.

Then owner doesnt want horse to move. Then owner says horse can move to her friends place.

Girl starts showing horse, gets poor scores at 3rd. I go "oh well."

Somehow, horse is allowed to move in to another barn and now is in full training with a different, bigger name trainer. Trainer now rides the horse at the shows, hands reins to young girl and she rides the test.

This works. Daughter got 4th level scores last week. Got the first PSG score for the silver today.

Look, training level to Prix Saint Flipping George in just a couple of months! Isn't dressage such fun and so EASY! Why have I spent the last 8 years squeezing every ounce of my self and my horse to go from training level to just 1 weekend of 3rd?

I am just GUTTED. Not about the girl, good for her, she's a nice kid and a nice rider.

I just feel like I work so flippin hard. I ride before work. I ride in the dark. I took I job I didn't care for so I could have the money to do this. I had a once in a lifetime horse. I have a family that supports me. I have a trainer. I have dedication, I sacrifice my personal life, I put in the hours stacking hay and cold hosing and ALL OF THAT.

I just don't have any freaking LUCK! And when I do . . . it gets pulled out from under me and then thrown in my face. Sometimes I just feel like all the work I do is for NOTHING.

But then I remember that the head of the youth training at the Spanish Riding School told me I had a beautiful seat. So there is hope if you have that, right?

And to top it off, Riley's abscess will . not . get . better .

But It's a beautiful day, and Bennigan jumped super today.

Edited by Kiss The Sky

Fantastic weekend of riding. Had a really good ride on Cheese Sat. I had lost a bit of connection with the bit with Cheese. Bad shoulders on my part.. So our work has been ho-hum. Found the connection again Sat and got some fantastic work out of Cheese.Sun I rode a couple over at my friends place. Both were hot. I found out I definately have the ride on the one for a winter gaming series. That way I can sontinue on slow work with Cheese.The horse I am riding is a Polish Aran. Real nice boy who loves to work. Can do western pleasure and gaming on the same day without losing his mind. Working with him on going in a snaffle. Plan is to take him to a pleasure type show that has a flat, jumping, trail, and dressage. Then see how we do and take things from there. Basically friend wants him out and showing and has her hands full with a new horse she wants to train for NBHA next year.So I jumped at the chance to ride him at the gaming show series. Works out micely for the both of us.

KTS-Vent away. It does seem to help at times. Some things were not meant to be. It does suck though. It was beyond your control so not much you could have done.I wish you better luck.

Still struggling loading pics, getting things to work...AAAARRRGGGHHH...

KTS--I get it. I know it's a vent, and I hope it helped. Just remember...there will ALWAYS be someone with a nicer horse, a nicer seat, more money, more time, a better/more expensive/more famous trainer than you, etc. and put things in perspective. You may have had more than your share of setbacks, but you are a strong, hard working survivor who keeps putting one foot in front of the other and that's more than alot of dilletante (look it up, it's apt) dressage riders that come & go.

Teddy & I are just happy to be round, straight & forward at this juncture :happy0203: He's a bit on the lazy side but he'll come to the party once he figures out it's better to comply than fight..those little arguing sessions are getting fewer & further between, thank goodness.

DQ

I just feel like I work so flippin hard. I ride before work. I ride in the dark. I took I job I didn't care for so I could have the money to do this. I had a once in a lifetime horse. I have a family that supports me. I have a trainer. I have dedication, I sacrifice my personal life, I put in the hours stacking hay and cold hosing and ALL OF THAT.

I just don't have any freaking LUCK! And when I do . . . it gets pulled out from under me and then thrown in my face. Sometimes I just feel like all the work I do is for NOTHING.

Sorry, but do you think you are alone in this??? What do you think all of the rest of us do?? Lieto, at 6yo, hasn't even seen his first real schooling show yet because for one silly reason or another, he has spent more time out of work than in work this summer. PMJ's horse of a lifetime was diagnosed with Navicular at 6yo. Beckham should have been showing 3rd and getting her Bronze this summer, but instead Beckham was in ICU this spring in renal failure and spent the rest of the summer getting back to where he was pre-hospitalization. Shantel should have spent the summer enjoying starting Rex, but instead spent it nursing a broken splint bone.

We all work ridiculously hard, ride at crazy hours, work jobs we are less than enamored with, depend on the support of our families and trainers, sacrifice our personal lives and dedicate ourselves 110% all in the name of achieving our goals.

This sport is incredibly difficult, very expensive, and takes a fair degree of luck. A small percentage of riders are handed well trained, push button horses enabling them to go from nothing to something overnight. Good for them? Maybe. Or maybe not. They learn to ride the movements and push the buttons, but often that's all they learn. They don't learn how to train a horse, or to ride through the difficult moments, or how to recognize when things are going wrong. Taking "shortcuts" will give a rider the wonderful experience of sitting on top of the upper level movements, and feeling them, but it won't teach you how to train a horse to get to that point. The riders that just get handed upper level horses and skip over those "unimportant" lower levels, struggle when they finish with their upper level horses and try to go back to a green or lower level horse. Reality comes crashing back down. Yes, the road is hard and full of frustration and disappointment. I have been on the road a heck of a lot longer than you have, and you have more to show for it than I do simply because you have had more access to good horses thus far than have I.

Personally, for me this is all about the journey. I don't care how long it takes. I like to keep seeing forward progress so that I don't feel so frustrated, but periods of frustration are inevitable. Try riding in a barn where there are 40+ horses and over half of them are 3rd level and above. Super hard not to feel frustrated when there are days you struggle just to get a canter. So I understand exactly where your vent is coming from, but . . . 'tis life!! Just remember that in the end, you will end up being the better rider/trainer because your path was longer and more difficult.

~Shelly~

Shelly hit the nail on the head...and having Beckham get sick put things in more perspective for me. Especially when I have been surrounded by a few stories like the one you told. Riding is a personal thing...no one else cares how you do. It is all personal enjoyment. I personally want to continue to learn to be a better rider and make my horse better. I don't want to rush through things just to get a "ribbon". I don't need ribbons to make me happy. I am so happy just to still have my horse and the way he continues to progress and amaze me...and on the days I don't ride, I just love being around him. I love taking care of my horses and just get satisfaction being around them and seeing them happy. Everyone has to decide what is in it for them. Honestly, I would love to have my bronze medal some day. But more importantly, I just want happy, healthy horses...people who take short cuts to get things make those things have less meaning to me. When I hear stories like this, I care less and less about a bronze medal. I do understand though, how having goals helps drive us and improve our riding, but I set goals for me.

More later...I have worked 10 hours and it is pouring rain...have horses to feed!

I think Alyse gets how hard dressage is and that everyone goes through the same things. I get the feeling she just needed to vent, get it out. We all understand as we have been there and been through it. Its nice to ( B ) itch about things esp to people who totally get it.

Alyse, hugs to you. You know you are a talented rider. Dont let all of the stress get you down. Plus, I totally want you to come back down and get on Rex once hes up and going again!

Edited by KrazyTBMare

And some of us are struggling along on our off-breed bargain horses because we couldn't afford the fancy WB, our parents don't own a farm for us to keep our horses on, etc. And I feel darned lucky just to have horses in my life, not to mention ANY job, a roof over my head, and food on my plate. I'm thankful I was able to hold onto my horses through 6 months of being unemployed.

Mean of me to say, maybe, but compared to a lot of people in this world, we have it very very good. Not being handed a nice horse for free is such a tiny thing in the grand scheme of life.

I think Alyse gets how hard dressage is and that everyone goes through the same things. I get the feeling she just needed to vent, get it out. We all understand as we have been there and been through it. Its nice to ( B ) itch about things esp to people who totally get it.

Alyse, hugs to you. You know you are a talented rider. Dont let all of the stress get you down. Plus, I totally want you to come back down and get on Rex once hes up and going again!

I get that, Shantel, truly I do. And honestly, I was right there with Alyse for the first 90% of her post. I felt her pain and agreed with her. We have all been there - excited over the prospect of new horse only to have it never materialize. It does hurt. It feels like you have had your insides ripped out. Now if that had been her whole post, I would have agreed with her 100%, but she went a little too far and the tone of the post changed when she delved into the "I work so hard" area. I'm sorry to say this, but that part came across more like "whiney, spoiled brat" than just a vent. It changed the tone of the post from just a vent to a "I work so hard therefore I deserve it" which was rather offensive. I'm sure that wasn't her intention, but just because you title your post a "vent" doesn't give you a free for all pass to say whatever you want. You are on a public forum, and you still need to be conscious of how your words affect the people who are reading them.

One more thought on posting vents . . . you should know your audience. When you are one of the people who have maybe had the most opportunities given to you or achieved the most success within your group, yet are also the person venting about missed opportunities or chances at success, then no matter how artfully worded your vent, it may not be well received despite a common pool of interest. Once you reach a certain level of success whether it is in your job, your hobby, a sport, whatever, you lose some level of freedom to freely whine and vent within that circle without risking offending other people in your group who might not have had the same opportunities or achieved the same level of success.

~Shelly~

And some of us are struggling along on our off-breed bargain horses because we couldn't afford the fancy WB, our parents don't own a farm for us to keep our horses on, etc. And I feel darned lucky just to have horses in my life, not to mention ANY job, a roof over my head, and food on my plate. I'm thankful I was able to hold onto my horses through 6 months of being unemployed.

Mean of me to say, maybe, but compared to a lot of people in this world, we have it very very good. Not being handed a nice horse for free is such a tiny thing in the grand scheme of life.

Lol I hear you . Although everytime I go to try out a new place/trainer I get put on a nice quiet schoolhorse and get bored to tears. I am finding out I really do like the training/retraining process more than I care about competing or being able to be high level movements. Don't get me wrong some of it looks like a blast to ride but I am enjoying the process much more.

Lesson was good. Worked more on my position instead of Cheese. So didn't feel like much improvement but htere was some on my part. Still trying to get a good light feel of the bit at the trot. Which of course is Cheese's worst gate and makes it more difficult to get. Looks like I am getting suckered into a paperchase with some friends. It is at a beautiful park that has xcountry femces. So should be a fun day.Also getting sucked into a costume class. I so want to make Cheese into a daleck but only have 2 weeks to plan/make it.

Vito that is AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!

Sorry I haven't updated here, my horses have been taking turns being lame and/or sick (all three of them!). So that's stupid.

Shiloh- my mare isn't hanging anymore, she's doing really well when she's not lame. Her hip has been bothering her so when she's not sore we just work lightly.

Well I personally dont think just because you are successful that you are not allowed to whine the same as someone who isnt as successful. And I dont get upset if someone who is more successful than me vents as we are all human and all get frusterated. I can understand if Aylse came on here all the time posting things like that but for the years that most of us have been on here, I dont think that has happened. You arent reading a post from some random person. We have all come to "know" each other via the forums and I think we all have an idea that none of us are bratty or ungrateful. I dunno, I just dont take stuff like that personally or let it upset me. Someone is always going to be more successful than you and you are always going to be more successful than someone else. But yes at the end of the day it is a public forum and people will interpret what they read as they will because that is all you can do when reading words on a screen. Oh well.

Rain started back up today and is forecasted to be here all next week. And my property had just dried out! Sucks. Next weekend is regionals! I also found out I have next Friday off and that is when most of my friends who are riding are showing so we will be going down to support and SHOP!

Not sure if I posted but I am going back in for surgery on Nov 2nd. This time to zap more endometriosis and also remove my gall bladder. I am hoping by the time I am cleared for riding again it will be time to take Rex back to Ocala for more xrays and get told he can go back to work. Because God he needs to. Hes getting nippy and tried to be pushy. The other night I fed up and then asked him to move over so he was standing straight in front of his bucket so he wouldnt fling out as much feed and the little snot kicked at me. I tore his arse up and once that was done, I asked him to move over again and got a prompt yes ma'am!

Layla is doing well. Girlfriend rode her on Wednesday and they are getting really nice moments and she is able to get Layla relaxed and connected quicker and quicker. My friend is also starting to grasp using leg and hand together, support with her seat, and what the outside rein is. They are having a lesson with Dean Saturday. Thankfully it is at the farm where I have posted pics of me riding Rex under the covered arena. With the rain, the covered arena is going to come in handy!

Headache just started.. I hate being so sensitive to the pressure! Off to get ready for bed! Night!

Lol I hear you . Although everytime I go to try out a new place/trainer I get put on a nice quiet schoolhorse and get bored to tears. I am finding out I really do like the training/retraining process more than I care about competing or being able to be high level movements. Don't get me wrong some of it looks like a blast to ride but I am enjoying the process much more.

Lesson was good. Worked more on my position instead of Cheese. So didn't feel like much improvement but htere was some on my part. Still trying to get a good light feel of the bit at the trot. Which of course is Cheese's worst gate and makes it more difficult to get. Looks like I am getting suckered into a paperchase with some friends. It is at a beautiful park that has xcountry femces. So should be a fun day.Also getting sucked into a costume class. I so want to make Cheese into a daleck but only have 2 weeks to plan/make it.

What's a daleck?

Last Halloween Mir was the accident-prone horse, complete with bubble wrap. Costume classes are so fun! He would make an awesome giraffe too, but there's nothing around here show-wise, not really worth dressing him up or anything just for kicks.

I hear you on being put on lesson horses and asked to just trot in circles. Heck, even lessons on my own horse where all I did was trot in circles in search of that 1% improvement in a horse who is a 6 mover... The lessons where someone point out that vague "feel how nice?" without telling me what I'm supposed to be feeling, and really it all feels the same, and in a whole year I'm only asked to LY once, which was hugely complimented on and then back to trotting more circles over and over. Eventually your brain goes numb.

Blondie, so good that she's not leaning. What's wrong with her hip? That sounds worrysome.

I rode all 3 of mine last Sunday, Lucy is soooo weak after all the time off, but Mir was fabulous. I didn't have to beat every forward step out of him. It's very difficult to work on much consistency with him, which is what he needs right now, when I don't have a flat area to school that's more than one 20m circle. Since our landlord just got a job out of state, won't be moving back to this house most likely, I'm going to see if he would mind us leveling out just a bit of the arena-sized semi-flat area, so that I can get in more than one circle. It's not like it would ruin the land or anything, just smooth out the mini hill.

CSA ? I have to agree with you ? the journey is much more important and interesting to me than the actual endpoint. Probably why I putter along with no real sense of urgency to my pace.

Blondie ? I swear, it seems like everyone has been struggling with lame/sick issues this year. It has been a really tough year.

Shantel ? I think the real reason we are so divergent on our views on this issue is simply our large gap in age. Chalk it up to a generation/life experience gap. Good luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well. You were able to get both surgeries scheduled for the same time? Now with the gall bladder ? are there long term consequences for having it removed? Like with a spleen, I know they can remove that as it pretty much does nothing for us anymore, but the gall bladder actually does something. When it starts screwing up, I know it is incredibly painful, and you suffer horribly, but if it is removed, are there any negative side effects that you will have to deal with after the removal? GOOD GRIEF!! I hear you on the youngsters needing to be in work!!! Pushy, nippy, bratty. I have pretty much HAD IT with Lieto. Two weeks of straight stall rest with no turnout ? I was ready to shoot him myself. He is finally getting some turnout now when it is not raining, but I?m supposed to be riding him walk/trot. If he hasn?t gotten turnout due to weather, then getting on him is pretty flippin? dangerous at this point. The vet keeps asking if he is sound or off. ???? How the heck would I know?? I can?t get him to stop bouncing long enough to tell. *sigh* Are you allowed to turn Rex out or do you have to keep him on stall rest?? Icing?? Wrapping?? What do they have you doing to the poor creature?? I am still icing and wrapping at this point though I don?t think it is making a bit of difference. Sounds like your friend and Layla are doing really well together. That?s fantastic. I hear you on the rain and headaches. I can always tell you when it is going to rain ? my head starts to pound with a vicious migraine. This has been a bad summer and fall, and I?ve heard that we are in for a bad winter as well. Fabulous, just what I wanted to hear. NOT!!

Shiloh ? Raz was definitely a 6 mover. I could have those kinds of lessons on him where you could do a million trot circles looking for a 1% improvement, get it, but never be able to feel it. I can?t tell you what kind of a mover Lieto is, but (and this is super hard to explain) the difference between Raz and Lieto in ?expressiveness? is HUGE. I could never feel when Raz softened and released his back or started to swing through his back. The change was so minimal that I just couldn?t differentiate between locked and swinging. Lieto, however, is like night and day. The first time I ever felt him unlock his back and really start to swing through his back, I was totally blown away. The difference was as huge as going from trot to canter. No one had to say, ?did you feel that?? This horse has totally changed my riding. His movement is so big that when he locks on one side or doesn?t step through with a hind leg or stiffens in his poll, it isn?t subtle, but rather more like a giant neon flashing sign yelling, ?Deal with me!!? I can feel it coming an instant before it happens. It?s like I can feel what he is thinking and correct it before it happens. So on a horse as expressive in his movement as this, going onto trot circles when the trot is not quite there to improve the movement actually makes sense. I can feel the improvement even if it is only 1-2% improvement, though usually it ends up being more like a 20-30% improvement. Go into the circles with a nasty trot and come out with a fantastic trot. This is still something that just blows my mind on this horse, and I am still learning to ride him effectively.

~Shelly~

I'm doing a costume class the 30th with one of my mares, I posted a thread for costume ideas somewhere! I'm now thinking Rainbow Bright... but I refuse to buy a costume, goodwill here I come! As for the rainbow mane and tail, I'm not sure how I'm going to dye her hair!

Shiloh- She injured it last year, this is the first time she has had an issue with it since. What was wrong with miss Lucy again??

Shelly, yes they are scheduled together. When I went in for my consult last Monday I told them ahead of time that I already had a surgery scheduled and I needed their surgery scheduled at the same time. If they couldnt do it, I was going to find another Dr. Long term.... Well there are some people who really have to watch what they eat. But I have like 4 close friends who have theirs out and they have no problems. I mean if you eat something really greasy you want to make sure you are near a bathroom not long after but I am already dealing with that so its no biggie. I asked the surgeon and he said 98% of his clients do not complain about not being able to eat what they want. He said just give it a few months and slowly start eating things that you normally do. The thing is, I can still go to McD or Chilis or whatever and eat greasy stuff and no problems. But specific things like our grocery store chain, Publix, they have hot and spicy breaded chicken wings. They are SO good. But they cause attacks now after eating them for over 10 years. I can eat spicy other thins and friend chicken and no problems. But specifically these wings - nope. Also, eating a Chilis hamburger - no issues at all. Now eat a hamburger my husband made at home with 27% fat ground beef? PAIN. Its weird really. As far as Rex, I tried stall rest with a smaller than round pen turn out off of his stall and the first day I came home from work to find the panels 10' pulled in from where they were and Rexs right front fetlock all scraped up and swollen. Apparently he didnt like being in there and pawed it. So he was causing more problems in than out. So I turned him back out. He isnt one to run a lot. And I would rather him run in a straight line than to get all in a tizzy in a small round pen and start torquing around on that leg. So the first month I wrapped it 24/7 because the injury site that caused the broken splint was a puncture from impacting Laylas lower right incisor. So I had to keep it covered until it closed up. Every day for the first 2 weeks I would cold hose it and then doctor it up. Then on the 3rd week it was just changing the bandage every other day. At that point, we did not know he had a broken splint. I took him down for ultrasound to make sure all was ok (never was lame) and thats when we found the splint. Vet said not to worry as what I had been doing was the same care we would have done if we had known. After that, I had to slowly wean him off of the wrap as the leg was going to swell up after having the wrap on for so long. But its really just a hurry up and wait thing. No icing or anything. Since this is his lateral splint, it is non weightbearing so its not really affected by him moving around, etc. So hes out in his pasture, hanging out. Looks totally normal and fine. What do Lieto do to himself this time? BTW the only thing keeping Rex from being a total jerk is the magnesium I have Layla on. When the woman who I get the mag from heard about Rexs injury, she sent a care package, which included the magnesium (as it calms them but also helps with bones) and also her product called FOCUS. I had tried Layla on the FOCUS before and it did nothing for her so I hadnt thought of getting it again. But when he started tearing up the panels, I started him on the mag. HUGE difference. But then after like 3 weeks, he started getting bored and just getting into everything he possibly could. So I started the FOCUS as well. He was on the maintainence dose of 1 scoop every other day. The days he had it, you could tell as he was so agreeable and not in your space, etc. And I could tell when I ran out too which is why hes being nippy and pushy again. I did buy another bag but its not super cheap so I am holding onto it until its time to get him going back u/s again. I would highly recommend trying the magnesium at least. You would know if it is helping within 10-14 days. Thats $15 worth. I really loved the fact that I didnt have to use drugs to sedate my horse to get us through this injury. Its been a huge help.

Shelly, Mir is like that too. I KNOW when he's moving nicely, it's very very obvious. And with Lucy, I know when she's tense in her back, and I know when she's really on her hind end. I've never had an issue feeling that. These lessons really were just being nit-picky on a 6 mover that I wasn't showing. This trainer liked her boarders in full training best, and didn't have much time or thought for her lesson students who hauled in, which I found out later when she started not showing up for my lessons. At her own farm. She literally "forgot" me for an entire month, and I very very rarely cancelled or was late to a lesson, like maybe twice in a whole year, always with notice. She would always apologize, say she would reschedule, never would call to do it. I had wanted to show some too, but she told me that with my horse, in FL, I wouldn't do very well against the stiff competition. So I never bothered.

Blondie-Use the halloween spray. Easy to wash out. Apply right before the class though. My horse sweated it off in two classes.

shiloh-This is a daleck.

daleck.jpg

It is from the british sci=fi show, Dr. Who. I jave the design 3/4 done but the problem is attaching to the horse that won't cause a lot of swin that would spook Cheese. So may have to ditch the idea and go with something else.

I had one of those trainers who would forget me at her barn. Moved the lesson to my horse. That way I wasn't wasting my time. Looking back I wonder why I stayed with her as long as I did. Alrhough now I know what to look at for when I go to view a lesson of a potential trainer.

Could use your opinions on girths. Contured or straight? New saddle has longer billets and current girth works but is to long. So looking for girth that is not to expensive but will be comfortable to the horse. Limited budget since I just bought saddle.

Define "too long"? Girth should just hit the bottom of the flap, regardless of the length of the billets. Especially on a horse less than 17h, a longer girth is better because it removes the buckles from under the elbow when the horse moves.

My two little ones both use a 28" girth. It hits just below the flap, and they are both happy as clams. If I could find a brown girth I likes that wasn't Wintec, I would buy a longer one for Lucy.

I like contour ones as Layla is really sensitive right in the girth area, behind where the elbow is. Those muscles just get sore. My saddle fitter/massage therapist recommended a contour one to reduce the surface area in that spot. I got the SP contour one for like $40 and its great.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartpak-breathable-dressage-girth-6116p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I tend to use a very long saddle pad, so I don't want a girth that comes to the edge of the saddle flap as it interferes with my saddle pad. I want one that comes to the edge of my pad. I agree with Shantel on the shaped/contoured girth to give the elbow extra comfort room. I use a 26" shaped girth on Lieto. I like elastic on both ends, and I prefer leather as I just find them easier to clean than synthetic. I just bought this girth from Dressage Extensions a week or two ago for a fantastic price, and I really like it:

http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=2739

~Shelly~

Shantel ? That?s fantastic that you got the surgeries scheduled for the same time. So much better than having to go under two separate times. Glad to hear that the gallbladder removal really won?t have a huge effect on your daily lifestyle. Certainly makes the decision of removal an easy one for you. ACK!! I hear you on trying to keep a youngster quiet on stall rest. Vets can preach stall rest all they want, but if the horse is going to turn into a raving lunatic that climbs the walls and does back flips in a 12x12 space, well then, turnout by far seems the better option. As best we can figure, Lieto hit his leg on something while fooling around in turnout. I don?t boot him for turnout. Not sure what he hit it on, possibly one of his own feet as he is rather goofy, but he caused the splint to pop the first time, then got himself into a snit in turnout again, and hit it for sure a second time really aggravating it. We?ve xray?d it. Definitely not broken, but perhaps big enough to be pressing on the suspensory. Vet is coming back on Thursday to ultrasound it one more time. He never had any heat or lameness until the second turnout incident. Then one day of heat and slight offness. Now he is sound to the right, and sound to the left on straight aways, but will take an occasional funky step on turns/circles. The splint is on the inside of the right foreleg just below the knee. I did three weeks of icing him for a half hour, then put on Surpass and standing wraps over night. Now I just doing the icing and standing wraps. I have managed to get him to wear turnout boots. No idea how long that will last. I tried to get him to wear them when he first popped the splint, but he just looked on them as a toy to be utterly destroyed. I?m bored to death with the daily ice/wrap routine as it literally takes me 2 hours a day to drive to the barn, ice, wrap and drive home again. My wrapping skills have improved by leaps and bounds though!! That?s for darn sure. I had Lieto on Quiessence when he was sick with Lyme, but haven?t had him on it since then as I never noticed a bit of difference on or off it to tell you the truth. Also, he won?t eat any supplement that comes in a powder form ? only pellets. He is super fussy, so that makes my choice of supplements rather limited for him. So far I haven?t had to drug him. I have the drugs on hand if I need them, but thankfully, not yet though there was one day when I was on him that I probably either shouldn?t have been on him or should have drugged him first ? would have been SUPER nice to know before I got on him that the horses hadn?t been turned out that day though ? what a nightmare he was to ride that day. I will say that was the closest I have ever come to thinking it was time to ship him off to Europe to be a sandwich.

Shiloh ? Trainers who can?t be bothered to work with a student just because they think the student isn?t as important or good or rich or talented or whatever as their other students aren?t worth being paid for their time.

CSA ? I thought that was what you meant by a dalek - just cannot see how to make that into a costume for Cheese!! Good luck with that.

~Shelly~

That stinks its his medial splint as those are weight bearing so I get the lameness. Hopefully it will heal and not interfere with the suspensory. That is what we were and are still worried about due to the callus forming but so far no issues.

Oh and Layla is the same way with powder. She hates it. Even some pellets. But the magnesium she eats. Its a totally different form than quiessense which is mag ox as this is more bio available. I had Layla on exstress and Mag 5000 before and never noticed a difference which is why I didnt want to try this new stuff. But my friend hounded me for 6 months until I told her I would get the 1lb bag and give it 2 weeks. So glad I did. And I went ahead and put Rex on it though I didnt think he would need it. So glad I did that too as theres a big difference in his whole demenor and attitude dealing with this time off.

Fingers crossed your ultrasound gives you good news.

two quick cell videos and I am off to bed...

First showing how lame Rex is on this splint.. this is him spooking at the neighbors horses running around (this is the little turn out area I have off the back of his stall not his normal turn out area)

http://www.facebook.com/v/2382735014985

the next one is just a video from tonight when we got home - big thunderhead with lots of lightning activity - thought it was cool looking

http://www.facebook.com/v/2382739215090

I'm kind of torn on what news I want on this ultrasound. I actually am thinking I just want to have them say it needs to be removed and be done with it. A splint can just be so intermittently intrusive with low grade lameness issues that I think I would rather have them just remove it and be done with it. If they had done that in the first place, we would already be done with the recovery LONG AGO and be back to work, but instead, we are still messing around with stall rest, icing and wrapping. None of which is making one bit of difference.

Yeah, that's what Lieto looks like in turn out as well - perfectly 100% sound and happy. It is only once you put him in the arena under saddle in contact or in side reins on a circle to the left that you see a funky step every once in a while but not consistently - and he is acting super pissy which tells me that something is bugging him as well. It is the attitude more than the stride that is telling me he is NQR. To the right he has never felt so amazing. I'm really being super picky and careful about soundness on this one because if he isn't fully sound, it is a soft tissue problem, and I want him healed 100% before I put him back in work rather than risk doing some sort of permanent damage. I suppose it is possible that the vet will come back tomorrow after the ultrasound and tell me that there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with him, and he is just being a pissy princess. That wouldn't totally surprise me. He can be a Drama Queen, just not usually this much of a Drama Queen. If that truly is the dx tomorrow, I think I'm turning him over to the trainer to get restarted into work. I've honestly had enough of his pissy attitude.

Love the thunder and lightning video. Very cool!

~Shelly~

Thank you ladies for the links. Yep the girth I have now currently rest on the flaps. So definately need somethung shorter.

I can'r find wacky noodles for the bottom part of the daleck. Could make the bottom part out of cardboard just don't know hoy to attach it.Oh well guess it is to an old back up comstume. I hate doing repeats though. Looks like I may be able to do one ,re clinic before winter hits.

I totally agree with KTM about the mag. I definately see a difference with Cheese. Is she is off of it and gets nervous she shakes.Little less spookier. Still easily distraxted but easy to get her focused again. Yes I wish I listened to shiloh earlier when she recomended it.

Shelly, I had the option to do surgery and remove the splint back in June when I took him to the vet but I really did not want to do surgery (putting him under and also the cost) and the vet said since there was already a callus forming in 4 wks there was a good chance it would heal on its own and plus I was not doing any damage waiting. He said that if he was a horse that I wanted back u/s soon to jsut do the surgery. And thankfully Rex is being really good with the stall rest. And hes actively growing so it was good to take a break for us. But I can totally understand your point with just going ahead and taking it out, esp if its on the medial side and causing issues as your situation is. Then its one less thing to worry about. I think its a good idea that if its not 100% when the vet is out this week to just do the surgery and quit messing around. And YES to the trainer getting to start him back up. Thats what Dean will be doing with Rex. I can long line him and all myself but Dean will be the first one on his back. Not that I even think he will do anything but just in case, and for my mental well being. LOL

I think it is the sheer size of it that is frustrating the snot out of me and making me lean towards the surgery. When it first appeared, it was golf ball sized and considered large. Now it is at least double that size, so HUGE. At least three inches long and an inch wide.

This was what it looked like in July when it first happened:

Splint12s.jpg

This is what it looks like now after he hit it a second time in turnout:

Splint35s.jpg

The cost of the surgery isn't really a factor for me since he is fully insured. Markel will cover nearly the entire cost. I will have to pay my deductible, but that's about it. Honestly, I think I have actually already paid that with the two vet visits for xrays and ultrasound, but . . . !!! I would probably end up getting money back from Markel if I did the surgery. If it were non-weight bearing and he wasn't taking funky steps, I wouldn't even consider the surgery, but he is just acting so unhappy that I really think it needs to just come out of there.

So far, I've just been climbing up on his back and dealing with him. As long as the weather is good, he has been a pretty good boy, and I haven't had much of an issue with him. Bad weather, no turnout, and . . . ACK!! Bad horse!! Generally I can handle what he dishes out at me. I just don't WANT to anymore. That's the key. I could just lunge him before riding if I was in doubt, but I would rather not if I could avoid it. He is such a big horse that lunging is really hard on him. If I can have the trainer just get on and ride the stupidness out of him, that would be the best thing.

I really think sensitive Drama Queen type horses should come with a warning label stamped dead center on their foreheads!! HAHAHAHA!!

~Shelly~

Shelly, I agree that Quiessence is worthless. I use epsom salts. Cheap, works great. You have to feed a lot because of the structure of the molecule, but it works wonderfully if you feed enough. 1/4 cup is 10g Mg. that's why supplement companies and feed companies don't use it, because it takes up too much space.

Unless Lucy hates the new saddle (still have her old one, just tried the new one on her twice), then something is up with her. I've schooled her twice, she's back on her joint supps, shod in front like always, but she's moving like a dumpy QH. She only had 4 months off, which shouldn't be enough time for her to get THAT weak. Her canter is horrible. Very easy to sit, but tiny little strides, barely picks her feet up even when she feels nice and active and responsive. Very weird. Feels like riding a gaited horse. I can boot her forward some, but that's not her preferred pace. Her trot is sorta OK, but not like it used to be even with some time off.