BuddyRooShmancyNShy

People Who Neglect And Abuse Horses...psa

Broo: It never actually crossed my mind that you would report me. I know you better than that! And,yes I did over react. My nerves are a bit raw with things right now...all around, not just my horse situatiion! Cory is getting married on Sat and is very stressed..those that knew her here can relate!

Oh my. Yes, I can imagine. As one planning a wedding myself, it can be very stressful for sure.

As far as AC and your horses go, I sure hope that something can be sorted out.

Manonthemountain - I believe there has been some misunderstandings, not sure how many, due to the way you word things. I am open to new ideas and different philosophies as long as they don't lead to true abuse or neglect.

ExtraHannah

I would love a direct reply to this post. Can you tell us what animals you have, what they do for you and how you care for them? I see from one post that you have stitched and cared for wounds in the past. Do you also do farrier work? What do you provide (or do you) in the way of feed and how do your horses look and act with what they are getting? Could you share some pictures? I'm genuinely curious!

Manonthemountain

(No I will not post pics or explain how what animals I have. I have seen to many folks be incriminated by website like this one. I will tell you that I own 15 animals. I feed an alfalfa grass mix that my horses get everyday during the winter and they get pasture grass in the summer. They live on forty acres. I have been very lucky, I have owned my horses for 15 years and they have rarely been sick. I have had to do some stitching. I do my own Ferrier work and I only trim them as they are barefoot, most of the time, they wear there feet down on there own. I have to do very little. I think that I have only had one horse colic once since I have owned them. I have an angel that watches over me.)

ExtraHannah

I do agree in some ways that man's belief that they can do better than mother nature is erroneous. Our pride has made us try to tweak many things in the world that have ended up disastrously. I'm thinking first and foremost of the purposeful introduction of non-endemic plants and animals to certain areas. In trying to improve on nature, we've almost always made things worse - created huge issues for the endemic species, etc.

Manonthemountain

(Man has this I idea that animals have to be pampered and spoiled. Example (they have been put into stalls, blanketed every night, given the best of everything.) My concern about this kind of treatment is that some day this country or world will collapse in regards to finance and government, folks will not be able to take care of there animals and will have to open there gates, let them free. Just as they have had to do for many generations throughout history. Yes they will survive. Not all, only the strong.)

ExtraHannah

I know there are lots of different opinions on vaccinations for both humans and animals. I know someone that does not vaccinate her dogs for anything other than rabies. She is also an extremely conscientious dog owner, who's never had a dog get out and is isolated from other dogs. That's fine with me. The same can be said for horses as long as you're not going to bring your unvaccinated animals to a show, parade, etc. and possibly expose my horses to things. I know there are different beliefs on lots of care issues with horses. As long as an animal is healthy and not in pain, starving or otherwise compromised, then I don't have a problem with others doing things differently than I do.

Manonthemountain

(My belief is that vaccinations have been a big part of our health issues, whether it is people or animals. If you look back in time, folks and animals have developed more health issues than ever before. My animals do not leave the mountain, and I will not allow them to interact with others as I do not want my animals to get disease. There is lots of information in regards to vaccinations and the effects. Why do we have so many diseases? Most all forms have come from man.)

ExtraHannah

All that said, mother nature is wonderful, capricious and cruel. Feral horses, and pretty much all other wild animals, suffer regularly and greatly. And those mustangs have had many, many generations to weed out the weak and live "wild". Yet they still suffer from starvation, injury and more. Just look at those pictures of the stallion Andi posted. It's a tough life out there in the wild.

Manonthemountain

(My opinion is that we have overpopulated most of the land; these animals are unable to roam as they once did. We have CONFINED them. It is about survival of the fittest; it is and always will be, it?s the natural way to keep from overpopulating. Look at the world today ?MAN? is at ?War? everyday, we use it to control the population growth instead of let it be done the natural way.)

ExtraHannah

We have been breeding for so long based on behaviors, looks and movements that we desire in our animals that we have nearly removed "survival of the fittest" from the equation for domesticated horses. Yes, we did that and because of that the vast majority of our horses would probably be unable to survive in the wild and would certainly suffer. They are even less capable then those mustangs.

Manonthemountain

(I do not believe that we have completely bread natural instincts out of them. Example; "survival of the fittest? this is the natural way Competition. If you were to put men or horses out into the wild they would be competitive in regards to survival, that only the strong will survive.) This is something that you cannot breed out it is Nature.

ExtraHannah

I look at it as a trade off. The horses give us something. They work for us, or even just provide the pleasure of their company. In exchange it is only right that we provide them with all the water, feed, hoof care and health care that they need. Otherwise, you've taken something from them - their freedom - and given nothing in return. How is that fair? How does that jibe with living free and being in harmony with mother nature?

Manonthemountain

(I agree with you, although there are a couple of ways? to look at this; one is that long ago before even Christianity there were cultures that all lived basically the same. ?Take what you need and give back what you can?. I see this as on of the most natural ways of live there can be. This is what I mean when I say natural.)

ExtraHannah

I don't have an issue with equines that are used primarily as helpmates and work animals. I don't have an issue with the fact that someone may humanely end the life of a horse that is no longer useful. Though that's NOT what I do with my animals and never could. However, I believe that's an individual's prerogative. I do have a serious issue with someone allowing an animal in their care to suffer for an extended time. Be that by starvation, hooves in poor repair, a lack of medical treatment, or anything else. I believe by taking on and using these animals we, at the very minimum, take on the duty to end their suffering if we cannot or will not keep them healthy and reasonably happy. A humane death is acceptable to me. Allowing extended suffering is not.

Manonthemountain

I completely agree with you.

ExtraHannah

As to your last question. I honestly don't know how many generations an animal must be bred in captivity to be considered domesticated and thus feral if placed back in the wild. However, I'm quite sure that these animals have wild ancestors much, much closer in their lines then the vast majority of our horses. I also know that when this is done to save a species it is done very carefully. The breedings are carefully controlled and the animals are raised as close to how they will live in the wild as is humanely possible. Not something we do with our horses. And still, there is almost always a large percentage of "failures". Meaning even with the goal from beginning to end being reintroduction, many of the animals will not be able to make the transition and successfully survive when released.

Manonthemountain

(Hence ?Only the strong survive?. We cannot and never will be able to change that.)

As far as extinct species we have created that and our own consciousness minds (quilt trips) believe we are the only ones who can fix it.

Manonthemountain

?What man has destroyed can never be repaired by man?

mom, here's a thought, how about if you start your own topic about your personal philosophies and principles instead of trying to hijack this one? i realize your angle is a "causation" one (and certainly has its own merits), but in the meantime there are people and horses NOW in need of the help of others. whether misguided humanity is the cause of this misery is a different issue altogether.

A true Mountaim man would want nothing to do with the internet, probably would not even own a computer.

Isn't the whole idea of BEING a Mountain man, to be totally alone, not caring about the outside world and certainly not concerned enough to care about what's going on?

Manonthemountain

Not true mountain men cared about the folks that lived around or in there area. After a winter of trapping they would all go to the rendezvous to sell their wares and see there friends. (Party Hard!) This was there form on community.

True Mountain Men are that, BECAUSE they have become fed up with mankind and want to be left alone, depending on no one but themselves.

Manonthemountain

Not true

No, not a true Mountain man, I'm thinking, maybe just a tad anti-social.

Manonthemountain

Not true

Hmmm, just thinking out loud, here.

Manonthemountain

?It?s funny how the interpretation of the mountain man has not evolved in over 200 years, and that he did not use any form of technology in order to advance himself?.

mom, here's a thought, how about if you start your own topic about your personal philosophies and principles instead of trying to hijack this one? i realize your angle is a "causation" one (and certainly has its own merits), but in the meantime there are people and horses NOW in need of the help of others. whether misguided humanity is the cause of this misery is a different issue altogether.

Manonthemountain

I agree Nick. I have only tried to answer the questions that have been trown at me. I was attacked as soon as I satrted posting.

Edited by manonthemountain

Manonthemountain

?It?s funny how the interpretation of the mountain man has not evolved in over 200 years, and that he did not use any form of technology in order to advance himself?.

After giving it some thought, I mean, MORE than I did before, I think I may have been a bit too quick to judge....that happens to me a LOT....I think I just might like to hear about how the modern day MM lives. On a new thread, of course.

Ya'll....please ignore this person....it is painfully obvious what is going on here.

All we ask is you show yourself...but you won't...

Edited by teampenninglady123

Ya'll....please ignore this person....it is painfully obvious what is going on here.

What's obvious? :confused0024: Why would he have to show or prove anything to us? There are PLENTY of people on here that have never posted pictures.

Why so judgemental? :questionicon:

Still waiting for pics....or an excuse.....

funny how that is being completely ignored...in true troll fashion...

ExtraHannah

I would love a direct reply to this post. Can you tell us what animals you have, what they do for you and how you care for them? I see from one post that you have stitched and cared for wounds in the past. Do you also do farrier work? What do you provide (or do you) in the way of feed and how do your horses look and act with what they are getting? Could you share some pictures? I'm genuinely curious!

Manonthemountain

(No I will not post pics or explain how what animals I have. I have seen to many folks be incriminated by website like this one. I will tell you that I own 15 animals. I feed an alfalfa grass mix that my horses get everyday during the winter and they get pasture grass in the summer. They live on forty acres. I have been very lucky, I have owned my horses for 15 years and they have rarely been sick. I have had to do some stitching. I do my own Ferrier work and I only trim them as they are barefoot, most of the time, they wear there feet down on there own. I have to do very little. I think that I have only had one horse colic once since I have owned them. I have an angel that watches over me.)

Just sayin' TPL.

well, guess he's in new hampshire. all you need to do is google/wikipedia it. ladies let's be a little careful here, and get back to the OP.

ignoring the request by me.....and trollin is still continued....and ya'll keep eatin it up like candy.....the only reason I kee comin back to this is b/c i have a post digets thingy and I get alerted on my yahoo account....

But.....I will try to just get outof it....b/c I probbly am giving this person a real thrill....trolls get off on the attention....and I am GoNNNEEEE Pecan!

PEACE!!! :angel3:

mom, you are up there all by yourself with your beasts? hmmm... hmmm...just you and your animals...

fugly had a blog about bestiality. nothing to do with you but EVERYTHING to do with animals in need. but that's off topic, OR IS IT?

mom, you are up there all by yourself with your beasts? hmmm... hmmm...just you and your animals...

fugly had a blog about bestiality. nothing to do with you but EVERYTHING to do with animals in need. but that's off topic, OR IS IT?

rotf.gifrotf.gifrotf.gif

Manonthemountain

He has a very large point there, all things considered.

well, guess he's in new hampshire. all you need to do is google/wikipedia it. ladies let's be a little careful here, and get back to the OP.

Are there mountains there?? :questionicon: Never been there...

Now that's just getting nasty. Typical.

manonthemountain

(No I will not post pics or explain how what animals I have. I have seen to many folks be incriminated by website like this one).

white mountains ozland. you should get out more.

didn't mean to be "nasty". didn't know i "typically" was. but thank you for pointing this out to me. i will strive to improve.

now, getting back to the OP.

I prefer to stay here in my hills, nick. It's friendlier that way.

Ok, I have had a few days to think. I have not read back over all of my posts, but I do not remember saying that I starved my horses this past winter, I did say thet looked like crap and that they are wormy (something most horses here are coming out of winter). To me this is how they look. To you they may look horrible or just skinny...who knows.

Now as far as this person who reported me to the authorities, I was going to let this go, but it keeps rolling around in my head. The report the sherrif posted on their web page says that this person made a report about horses being starved/ not feed. This is his actual write up: RP WAS TOLD ABOUT FOUR STARVING

HORSES. NO RES AT LOC, JUST A FENCED

AREA. RP FOUND OUT FROM INTERNET,

WHEN HORSE OWNER WAS ASKING FOR HELP

Now, I have some issues with this.

1. My horses were never starved.

2. How the heck do you know what type of pasture they are in and wheither or not there is a residence there?

3. The "internet" he is talking about is HC. He told hubby this.

4. The report was made after I said I was receiving help from a few members here.

Now, I am really trying to be calm about this and in the big picture this won't matter. But, I would like this person to PM me and tell me who they are. My reason for this is to have a conversation with you. I am NOT angry at you, I just want to talk to you.

Thank you!

Edited by Itchysmom

Yes to both questions Andi. I am in CA for my daughters wedding. Monday afternoon the sheriff showed up at our house and told hubby that someone made a report that we were not feeding our horses. All the info he gave was it was someone from back east and she saw it on some horse web site!

Mamnonthemountain

This sounds like incrimantion to me.

Can we stop chasing shadows around the mountain...lol..

pardon the pun mountainman....I would love to live off by myself most days!

I don't mean to be an A-hole, but some of you folks are hijacking this thread and turning into something it was never intended for. Could you please get on topic?

I think if you read the OP you'll find that I was not calling anyone out at all.