Sign in to follow this  
SillyFilly27

Choke Recovery... Show The Next Weekend?

Hello there everyone. My TB (we think) experienced choke this weekend. I was called in Saturday morning about 10am when other boarders heard him making some funny sounds and acting a little stressed (they described him as acting more annoyed than anything). We really aren't sure what happened, because no one ever felt anything in his throat, and the sounds passed within about two hours. Possibly he choked early morning during breakfast after the feeders left, but before boarders started coming to the barn and when they came he just had some irritation still... I'm not really sure. By noon he was perfectly normal acting like himself, just napping in his stall and begging those who walked by for cookies. I consulted with my vet, we dosed him with banamine for the inflamation and possible pain, and we fed him a small dinner a few hours later, everything was swallowed, and everything was eventually digested. I did make a few overnight trips to check on him, but as far as I can tell, whatever happened has passed and he's doing fine.

I had planned on bringing him to a local open show this coming weekend (one week after this choke incident) but I don't want to push or stress him more. He is acting 100% like himself, eating perfectly today (day after), but I have given him the day off just in case. This is supposed to be our first show together, but I don't want to go if I feel like I would be pushing or rushing him. He's more than ready for the show itself, I just question the whole stress of a show atmosphere. The show grounds are only 10 minutes from my barn, so we can always leave early and of course just scratch classes if we need to. Even before the incident I had only planned on doing 2-3 classes for our first show together.

I guess I just want some advice and opinions about what you would do if this was your horse! To show or not to show? Also my other question since my vet wasn't very clear, they told me to reduce his grain last night (day of the choke) and this morning. Am I able to start back with his regular grain ration tonight or will I need to re-build him back up over a period of time?

I really appreciate all of the advice you can give me! Thanks!

Feeding after a choke should be done more carefully Than your vet seems to think. A horse will normally have some difficulty swallowing, and it will be painful. The best approach would be to feed a mush for the first several days, usually pelleted foods you can soak up, like a pelleted feed along with pelleted alfalfa or timothy, and plenty of water to keep it moving down.

As for doing the show a week from now (?), that would be pretty much up to how quickly the horse recovers. If it was a fairly mild choke that was resolved quickly, As is what I understand from your post, and it doesn't happen again between now and then, he would probably be good to go.

Thank you for your input. I had to talk to the vet on-call who kind of gave me conflicting advice, and advice that I had not heard of to help with choke. She told me to take away his water, which didn't seem to make sense to me. I had called and left a message for the on-call vet before I did anything and I had watched him take several large drinks of water and I watched all of the water go down the throat. Then she called back and said to remove all hay and water, although he was very interested in eating (it was "snack" time about then, and he was annoyed everyone else had food and he didn't). About an hour after I gave him banamine, I let him have about a gallon of water which he immediately drank (I knew he was thirsty, I didn't want him to drink too much too fast). Then about an hour later he had some hay, more water, then another hour later a small amount of grain. Honestly- I have not had any problems. He hasn't had a single problem since about noon Saturday. If choke is what we were dealing with, it was extremely mild.

yeah your fine. My horse choked on a wed and I showed him the following saturday.

He had a similar incident, bolted his pellets. I wasnt around but they gave him sedative and I think banamine too.

I didn't give him grain for the 2 following meals and then just soaked his food so it was really soupy. He was fine. If you vet thinks he is good, don't let it hold you up. It would be different if he was choked for hours and hours and you had to tube him and everything

Thank you DappleFred. I just came back from the barn again tonight and he's eaten his meals no problem today, I hand grazed him for about 20 minutes, and he's been consistantly pooping every 1.5-2 hours as normal for him. I lightly lunged him too and he was very happy to move out and trot around since he's only been hand walking for the last day! It may not have even been choke, just a minor irritation because it was so fast and we've had no other problems since yesterday morning. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't pushing too hard! I like to be able to talk it through with other horse owners and there is so much experience on here to benefit from! To be on the safe side, I put some large rocks in his feeder to slow him down, and we are going to give him smaller feedings more frequently now. I plan on taking him to our show Sunday, and if there is any funny business that morning, we'll just hang out, graze and observe for the day!

^Oh yeah I forgot to add- yes my boy now has 2 very large rocks in his tub to slow him down. Wetting his food was too much of a pain. Rocks work well though.

I added two large rocks in his feeder today to slow him down. I finally talked to my regular Vet who didn't have much to tell me nor did he sound like he cared. All he wanted to do was have me drive my horse to the clinic so they could scope him. If this was a reoccuring problem I would consider it, but it came and went so fast I don't think it's necessary. He told me he didn't have time to come out and do an exam on him for a few weeks so driving him out myself was my only option. I don't have a trailer, so it's not possible (well, I could borrow one, but again, it would need to be for a real large problem). I'm disappointed that the Vet had no answers but also no suggestions for me after I explained in great detail what happened. Sigh....another discussion for another day!