Sign in to follow this  
TinaCarroll

The Rapture On The 21St?

I think it is suppose to be the 21st. Anyway, it is supposedly happening this month. Then, we are suppose to have five months of **** on Earth, then in October, the world is suppose to end, as we know it.

I haven't really read much into this- it is a theory made by a certain religious group and I guess word is spreading. While I am a spiritual person, I am not religious, and when I was reading about the theory, they said they based it on mathematical calculations or something.

Anyone know how the theory works out? While I believe God can come back at anytime he feels like, I thought that the Bible said no one will know the date, of course the religious group explained that too.

My question is, if the 21st comes and goes, with no one disappearing, what excuse will they give? I know they have one already thought of....if the day doesn't unfold like they predict.

What are your thoughts? Anything you would like to share?

If it really is happening, I'd like to get through my graduation first.

Get that diploma in hand then get to a bar and drink the rapture/apocalypse/end of the world shenanigans into oblivion.

Anyone is welcome to join of course. :happy0203:

If I had a nickle for every time somebody has forecast the Rapture/End of the World I'd be richer than Warren Buffet!!!!! :smile:

Jesus said the end would come "like a thief in the night" and we'd know not the time. John wrote a whole book on how Jesus was wrong. Let your "theological teeth" chew on that one for a while. B)

If it's going to happen it's going to happen and there's absolutely nothing to be done for it. If you've lived a moral and ethical life you'll likely be OK. If you haven't, then dress for a VERY tropical summer. :grin:

G.

No, wait! It can't be on the 21st of this month! My next cutting show is the 28th! I want to get to ride at least once more in the cutting pen, dang it!

rolleye0014.gif

LOL- I would just like to know what excuse they are going to give if/when it doesn't happen.

I am not totally throwing out the idea- because you never really know, BUT, I want to hear what they got to say if it doesn't. :)

after the winter we had, sounds good. i have plenty of sunblock and a huge lake in front of my house.

but seriously, anybody remember the millenium where all of our computers would crash and mayhem would ensue?

No, wait! It can't be on the 21st of this month! My next cutting show is the 28th! I want to get to ride at least once more in the cutting pen, dang it!

Andi, no problem at all if you aren't "saved" :crazy:

I think it's all silliness, honestly.

What's really sad is that there are people BANKING on this - literally. NPR was interviewing people about it the other day, and they talked to this one couple - they had a child and she was pregnant with another. They kept going on about how they had quit their jobs, cashed out their retirement, and were living off their savings (which was dwindling and would be out in mid-may) because they didn't think they'd need it.

That is just horrifying to me - when people think there's no harm in predicting doomsday, i think they're wrong. Some easily led people out there are going to be ruined - potentially homeless, with children, because they bought into that.

Maybe their fault, but not their childrens'. :(

ediated to add quote:

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

Nothing, except for the fervent hope that all of them will be raptured.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136053462/is-the-end-nigh-well-know-soon-enough

Edited by goldentoes

Well, I guess if it is going to happen I shouldn't invest in a birthday present for my future husband. His gift can be total chaos :D

What's really sad is that there are people BANKING on this - literally. NPR was interviewing people about it the other day, and they talked to this one couple - they had a child and she was pregnant with another. They kept going on about how they had quit their jobs, cashed out their retirement, and were living off their savings (which was dwindling and would be out in mid-may) because they didn't think they'd need it.

Now that is a follow-up interview I'd like to hear.

If it does happen what in the world are we meager humans gonna do about it anyways? I say live life to the fullest. and dont regret a single thing you have done. but live true to yourself but thats just me.

OH MY. That interview is just.... :twitch::unsure::confused0024::duh:

Have they not researched into how many people have supposedly predicted the end of the world in the past- and it never came? I really hope this interview is a joke, because if it is not, some people ....umm yea, these people should not be breeding.

I am at a loss for words. Honestly. I know people believe in their religion and what not, but come on. EVERYONE believes that their religion is right- and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of different religions out there....

I don't have anything to say- for once LMAO.

I believe that God is coming back. Do I know when? Absolutely not!!

For someone to try and predict a time when the world is going to end..is just crazy...

That family that quit both the jobs..think they need to read the "Good Book " a little more closely.

Oy vey, if I had a dollar for every time someone predicted the world was ending on a certain day. :rolleye0014:

Also, if you read into the story of the guy who supposedly predicted this, he's a quack and his method for predicting it is insane. In the Bible it says no one knows the day that God will come back except God, so why would some random person suddenly "know?"

Also, one of the reasons they're saying the world is happening soon is because of natural disasters. Well, need people forget history? This isn't the only time the earth has had a bunch of natural disasters. It is a natural cycle of the earth.

ETA: Article

Edited by Designer Rose

On the 21st they might have right, but of what month or what year could be very confusing. Predictions have been made over the years, & we are still here, so I don't put much stalk in this prediction. We'll know when He wants us to know, I bet my Faith in that. PD

In my very humble but opinionated opinion, everybody needs to go read Daniel Quinn and quit empowering religions whose only purpose is to control and blind.

I feel for the children of foolish people.

My question is, if the 21st comes and goes, with no one disappearing, what excuse will they give? I know they have one already thought of....if the day doesn't unfold like they predict.

Well, here's his excuse from the last time he claimed the world was ending . . . Bad math. :rolleye0014:

"Camping once thought that Judgment Day (when some say believers will be taken to heaven and others will be left on earth for about five months of torment) would come on Sept. 6, 1994. According to the Chronicle, "Camping allowed that he may have made a mathematical error. He spent the next decade running new calculations [based on his reading of the bible], as well as overseeing a media company that has grown significantly in size and reach."

That's NPR quoting the San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/03/132628597/for-some-believers-may-21-is-judgment-day

The religious impulse is universal. It flows from the human's ability to imagine that which they cannot see. This drives the Edisons and Whitneys and Wrights of the world, but also the imams, priests, and shamans.

Atheists have it, too. Thier imagination is just the mirror image of the theist. :smile:

There's all kinds of "spirit" based stuff around, ranging from the traditional faiths to "alternative healing systems" to sell all you have, give it to some guru, and then follow that guru. The thing is you can't demonstrate any sort of "spirit" based system, as spirits are incorporial by definition. They are not ameanable to proof either way. So you either believe or you don't. That's called "faith."

The best functional definition "faith" I've ever read was the Gospel story of the Centurian with sick servant.

Belief is not a sign of stupidity; non-belief is not a sign of intelligence. Or vice versa.

Since I'm not fan of Revelation I don't spend too much time worrying about it. Neither do I consult with palmists, tea leaf readers, astrologers, etc. I don't even play the lottery! :grin: The future will happen as it happens. We humans can often influence it, but more often just have to deal with its consequences.

G.

Bring it on...

Maybe some real morons will disappear.

You said it! anyone planning to leave - just turn off your appliances, wouldn't want to waste electricity! :grin:

I don't know why people fret so much over these predictions, if they are true, there isn't a darn thing anyone can do...I've lived my life the best I know how, that's all anyone can do.

Well, here's his excuse from the last time he claimed the world was ending . . . Bad math. :rolleye0014:

"Camping once thought that Judgment Day (when some say believers will be taken to heaven and others will be left on earth for about five months of torment) would come on Sept. 6, 1994. According to the Chronicle, "Camping allowed that he may have made a mathematical error. He spent the next decade running new calculations [based on his reading of the bible], as well as overseeing a media company that has grown significantly in size and reach."

That's NPR quoting the San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.npr.org/b...is-judgment-day

LOL- blame is on the math.

Maybe he should invest in a mathmetician?

You said it! anyone planning to leave - just turn off your appliances, wouldn't want to waste electricity!

:rotf: :rotf:

And I'll host a party for those left behind!

Seriously though... who do you think is going to pay for this couple who believed this to be true? They are going to have NOTHING after April 21, and a little kid (and one on the way) to care for! :rolleye0014: I think Mr. Camping should have to donate $ to help these people get back on their feet if he's making so much money off the likes of them.

I have spent a life time of worrying about tomorrow...not any more. This day is here and I will live it!

Who was it, the Mayans who told of Dec 21st, 2012. This is when thier calender ended. So, let's think for a minute. When the planets were all lined up as they will be on 12/21/12, the Mayans were not in existance. Caveman was. So, the Mayans had made a calender until such time as the planets did thousands of years ago. They could not think beyond that. Hence...no more calender.

I can't believe I'm still here after all the **** about 2000 being the end of the world. I don't listen to any of this garbage, when our time comes we will not know until it happens. I don't believe it will be in my lifetime or my grandkids lifetime. Such dumb ideas.........

I have spent a life time of worrying about tomorrow...not any more. This day is here and I will live it!

Who was it, the Mayans who told of Dec 21st, 2012. This is when thier calender ended. So, let's think for a minute. When the planets were all lined up as they will be on 12/21/12, the Mayans were not in existance. Caveman was. So, the Mayans had made a calender until such time as the planets did thousands of years ago. They could not think beyond that. Hence...no more calender.

In addition "the end of the world"/judgement day is not an indigenous concept, it is a western Christian concept. It is a western society that interpreted the Mayan calendar as the end of the world.

Well I wont have to worry about turning 35 a few days after that...

I am not religious at all, more spiritual anyway. So I curious if I will go or stay. I have plenty of ammo if I stay. :winking:

Well, if the rapture is the 21st or whenever...I really don't care.

I have decided that if God's voice sounds anything like Alan Rickmans, when he played the voice of god in the movie Dogma, I will gladly go. H*ll, I'll start punching people to get to the front of the line yelling, TAKE ME TAKE ME!!!! :happy0203: