Tiffany Newman

Anyone Feed Bent Grass Hay?

I found some bent grass hay for sale but I have never fed or heard of this hay. I would be supplementing my orchard grass hay with it but the price is right for making my orchard grass hay stretch longer. Anyone feed this hay? Do your horses like it, do o.k. on it? I just have very easy keeper geldings here so I don't need anything fancy!

Do you mean grass that was cut with a haybine? A haybine has a roller that crimps the feed and seals in more of the good stuff.

Bentgrass is a turf grass, usually used in golf course situations. It is a vigorous spreader and to be at it's best must be mown very closely (1/8 to 1/4 inch). I seriously doubt a hay made from bentgrass would be appropriate for your horse, but it wouldn't be the first time I guessed wrong.

ETA: according to this site http://forages.oregonstate.edu/php/fact_sheet_print_grass.php?SpecID=69&use= it is "rated fair to good for livestock and highly satisfactory for elk."

Edited by Greenhaven

Its pretty common here out West. I just had some cheap bales that had quite a bit of it. Its an actual grass species and tends to have tufted seed heads. My horses ate it, but its not the softest or finest of grasses, so picky eaters are likely to waste quite a bit.