Sign in to follow this  
texasrose908

Straighteners

So I'm in the market for a new straightener because the one I have now isn't really cutting it, and I would look a nice one to use for a wedding I'm going to in June. Does anybody have any recommendations? I need one that is really good with thick hair because I have THICK hair, lol. Also, does anyone recommend any products that you use when you straighten your hair?

I have one but I dont even remember what brand it is. I've hardly used it recently. It has titanium plates, which seems to work good but my hair isnt super thick.

I quite like my CHI and i've heard that GHD straightners are great as well but they're pretty expensive lol

When I straighten my hair, i spend more time blow drying it than I do straightening it. I just put heat protecting syrum in it and blow dry, then spit my hair in sections and it takes 10 minutes to straighten it

I have a CHI too and I love it. I have really hard to manage thick curly hair, and like Indy said, I also spend more time blow drying mine now with my Chi then I do straightening it. It's like $100, but it's definitely worth it.

i have a wigo straightener that i bought from a beauty supply store for $15. no complaints, i cant spend 100 bucks on a straightener haha. like i cant bring myself to do it. i do what stevie does.

I've heard that chi is good. But I didn't have that kind of budget, so i got a remington for like $40 and i LOVE it.

I've heard that chi is good. But I didn't have that kind of budget, so i got a remington for like $40 and i LOVE it.

That is the one I decided to go with! Specifically this one: Remington Straightener I got it today and used it as soon as I got and oh my goodness, LOVE it! I have never had a straightener straighten my hair as well as this one, my hair was actually completely straight for once. And my hair was so soft and shiny and frizz free after I used it. Love love love it.

I'm so mad! I just bought a new straigtner at work for $20. It's a little conair one. I don't have a lot of hair so I figured it would work fine, but unfortunatly it straightens but not the way I want.

Ughhhh. I'd hate to spend $100 dollars on some hair straightner!!!

Here's my hair and I just want it a little more straight than this:

226766_10100122469681838_26724985_47101094_3752624_n.jpg

I'm so mad! I just bought a new straigtner at work for $20. It's a little conair one. I don't have a lot of hair so I figured it would work fine, but unfortunatly it straightens but not the way I want.

Ughhhh. I'd hate to spend $100 dollars on some hair straightner!!!

Here's my hair and I just want it a little more straight than this:

226766_10100122469681838_26724985_47101094_3752624_n.jpg

Try the one I got! I have thicker hair than yours and my new one made it bone straight! It's only $40 too. :smilie:

ETA: Walmart has it a little cheaper than Target. Wal Mart

Edited by Designer Rose

I have a 1-1/4 inch Solia. LOVE it. I've had it for five or six years and it's still just as good as it was when I got it. I have pretty thick, long hair and it gets super straight and soft in 15-20 minutes (Compared to the 45-60 minutes it took me with a Remmington Wet-2-Straight which really pulled at my hair). Plus I can use it on damp hair and it's totally fine. No damage.

Obviously it's on the pricier side, but when it lasts forever and takes less time to use, I think it's worth it. Though I'm sure there's cheaper stuff out there that works just as well.

As far products, if you can find it SunSilk Hydra TLC works great as a leave in conditioner. I don't know if they still make it though or not as I never see it in stores. I like Garnier as well. They have a anti-humidity leave in conditioner that I like.

(Compared to the 45-60 minutes it took me with a Remmington Wet-2-Straight which really pulled at my hair).

What i've heard is that pretty much any hair straightener that you are supposed to use on wet hair is going to work slowly and poorly, as well as damage your hair a lot more than a typical straightener - no matter what the brand. I've always been told to steer clear of those types.

I ditto MyGoldFish! Straightening your hair from wet to straight is VERY damaging. You might not THINK your hair is damaged but it is. It fries it. My cousin use to do that ALL the time and she lost so much of her hair. it will only grow to a little past her chin now.

Okay Designer Rose-I returned the straightner that didn't work right and bought the one you suggested. It was $50 in the store!!!! If it doesn't work well, I will be so mad at you! :winking:

I didn't notice any damage when I used the Wet2Straight, but when I got my "new" straightener I noticed that it was a lot smoother and easier to use.

I use my current one on damp hair and it's totally fine. I have zero split ends and I haven't cut my hair in over a year. Soo yeah. My hair is still healthy and grows normally and doesn't fall out.

i swear by this: http://www.conair.com/infiniti-by-conair-instant-heat-ceramic-2-straightener-p-71-1_73_12.html

although i think i have an older version of it (but it looks the same). amazon & walmart have it for around $30.

anyway, i have super thick hair (both a lot of it and really thick strands), and this is the ONLY straightener i've used that both works and doesn't make it feel really damaged (even chis make it feel awful).

eta: jump over water (sorry, too lazy to quote), did you mean you wanted your hair to be straight as in not curling out at the bottom? make sure that when you straighten, you bring the straightener in the direction you want your hair to go (like kind of curl it under). if your hair tends to curl out like that, straighten it inwards more strongly. also, you may have to get some kind of product to texturize your hair and kind of 'thicken it up' so that it will hold straight.

Edited by talktalktalk