Sign in to follow this  
piper2011

Old Jc Higgins Saddle

Hi, I just got this old JC Higgins saddle and I wondered if anyone knows how old it is and what type it is. The top of the saddle horn is really large, 3 1/2" across. Could it be an old roping saddle? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If this were anywhere else, I'd inquire about what it would take to cheat you out of that saddle, but.... this is HC so dealing is forbidden, except on the poorly-conceived trade board. J.C. Higgins was a "HOUSE" name for all sporting goods at Sears Roebuck & Co. The J.C Higgins saddles were made by Bona Allen Saddle Company of Buford, Georgia. Sears wouldn't allow their suppliers to put their own maker's mark on their products, but Bona Allen got around this by by stamping the initials BA on the heads of their flat-topped rivets.

I believe Sears stopped using the J.C. Higgins name in the early 50's and began using the name of baseballer Ted Williams.

This saddle may have been a roper. Does it have a rawhide-covered tree? The horn appears to have been worked on and a poor job done putting it back together (it may have been a tad larger). I wish I could see more pictures. The angle that the rear cinch billet takes made me think at first that it might have been a "Committee Rig." That's what bucking saddles were called before they were standardized by the association and called "Association" saddles.

Is it missing its fleece or is that just the way the picture was taken? More pictures from different angles, please!

Thanks! I will post more pictures this afternoon. The saddle isn't in the best shape and the fleece is missing. It is just so odd looking, that I am really curious about. Could it be a mule saddle? Anyway, I'll get those pictures on as soon as I get a chance and thanks again!

OK, I have a lot of pictures. I don't know how many I can put on here at a time, but I will give it a shot. The underneath of the saddle looks odd because it has checkered leather on it. Looks like the leather is missing on the neck of the horn. I think it's a 14"" seat, I measured it but I don't remember. I'll have to recheck when I bring it back in. Hope all this helps and again I really want to say thanks for your time! I had to host te pictures, so they are links. If you can't see the pictures let me know.

Image 1

Image2

Image3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

Image 11

Image 12

Image 13

Image 14

Image 15

Image 16

Image 17

I was going to say it looked as if someone had put skirts from another saddle on this one, but it's obvious that the skirts were turned over and put on the opposite sides, so the tooled side left side is now on the right and the tooled side turned toward the saddle blanket or pad, and vice versa with the right skirt. That's why there is no fleece showing at all.

If it doesn't have a rawhide-covered tree, it was just a general use saddle.

Hey Jack thanks! I really can't tell if it has a rawhide covered tree. I guess I will try to put it on the trading post forum here. I didn't realize they had one. I guess someone can probably fix it up and use it. The leather seems to be in good shape. Thanks again for all your help!

I was going to say it looked as if someone had put skirts from another saddle on this one, but it's obvious that the skirts were turned over and put on the opposite sides, so the tooled side left side is now on the right and the tooled side turned toward the saddle blanket or pad, and vice versa with the right skirt. That's why there is no fleece showing at all.

If it doesn't have a rawhide-covered tree, it was just a general use saddle.

Is there a logical reason for some one to do this? Or would something like this be a DIY fail?

Is there a logical reason for some one to do this? Or would something like this be a DIY fail?

Something that occurred to me was that it might have been stolen and someone switched the skirts to make it look different. I've known some saddle thieves and horsethieves.

Hey Jack thanks! I really can't tell if it has a rawhide covered tree. I guess I will try to put it on the trading post forum here. I didn't realize they had one. I guess someone can probably fix it up and use it. The leather seems to be in good shape. Thanks again for all your help!

You can't sell on the trading post, but have to trade for something of equal value. They don't want any money changing hands between HC members.

No matter I can't even get on the trading post. It is such a crazy looking saddle I really wanted to see what I could find out about it.

I can't really ride anymore but I rode for over 35 years since I was a kid in the 60's. When I saw this saddle at a flea market, I had to get it just because it looked so crazy. I knew it was old but couldn't figure out what it was used for. I debated keeping it but don't have room. I already have my Dad's old calvary saddle packed in a box and don't have room to display it. It really has sentimental value tho, so I could never get rid of it.

But I guess I can part with this saddle, don't know really what to with it. I guess I could take it to get fixed, there's Smuckers, an Amish harness store out here by New Holland that might fix it. But I don't think I'll be using the saddle. I'll just put it on craigslist. Any idea what I should ask for it?

Thanks for all the help! Even tho I don't ride anymore, I still love horses. Whenever I see any tack for sale at my local flea market I have to finger it. Ha! Ha! Even tho I never buy any, at last not til this saddle. I'm glad I found this site, I love reading the forums. Thanks again everybody!!

you need 994 more posts to get to trading forum!! it is worth it though personally.. I have gotten quite a few of my favorite tack from there.

I have a square skirt version like yours.. but no one flipped my skirts.. LOL