Sign in to follow this  
alegnia

Even The Best Horse Can Have A Bad Day

I am a vet student very soon to be a veterinarian. I deal with strange horses on a daily basis from track thoroughbreds with zero manners, to spoiled rotten pasture pets, to expensive show horses that know they can get away with stuff. And lets just say you don't become a vet to be the horses best friend. We are always doing things they do not like and therefore have to aways remember SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY (though when we have to inject a certain hock joint that demands we reach across the hind legs of a horse, and poke a needle into its opposite hind limb we gladly do it)

So after dealing with all these angry, painful strange horses which horse injures me? MY OWN.

I have cleaned Eurus' sheath countless times, unsedated, just tied in a stall. He has always been fine. Had him sedated to float his teeth last week and thought "sheath cleaning will be WAY easier sedated". BAM. I got struck/kicked not once, but twice, by my own horse who has never kicked before in his life. Why did I get kicked? You could blame the sedation, you could blame the tick on his whowho, or you can blame me, for letting my guard down and not being as vigilant simply because I knew the horse.

This messsage goes out to all to remember that a horse is a living, thinking, not always predictabe creatue. Even if you have known the animal since birth (like me and Euus) SAFETY should always come first.

I will step down from the soap box now :ashamed0002:

253425_749696416415_120408901_38944475_6912996_n.jpg

Hard as rock hematomas in your knees = not worth it

OUCH! just did one of my geldings as he was crusty while I was finishing up and giving him a good flush my nice quiet gelding threatened to kick me and at the same time he was making chewing noises. when you brush him in certain areas he snaps his teeth together its quite funny to watch. the real funny part came when the neighbors 4 year old boy came out and asked "what ya doing?" just as i got him to drop, :ashamed0002: Try to explan that one! hope this makes you laugh the boys mom thought that was funny when i told her. Her soon to be ex-husband was supposed to be watching him and wasnt. She wasnt happy about that one but thought it was funny!

YOUCH!

Just had an incident last night. I was putting wipe on all the horses. Very routine happening. Well, my "Jake the Flake" gelding decided all of a sudden to just drop when I swiped under his belly. Just boom, folded up his legs and dropped...and popped up to the side. You know, a major 'flinch' Holey cow. Not like I snuck up on him or anything. But I guess I was feeling comfortable, as I do this all the flippin' time. I was just getting the buggy spots and forgot to mention to him that I was headed to the 'hoo hoo' area quickly this time. good grief! I swear he was blushing when he realized what he had done.

routine or not, keep your guard up. :ashamed0002:

Sorry for your pain. WOw!

It is so easy to get complacent with your own horses. Especially those who you've "done it a thousand times" with. I nearly got clipped by a rear hoof on top of my head bathing the mares this past Sunday. The horseflies were terrible. As I bent down to scrub up Em's white sock a horsefly bit her on the belly. Her "knee jerk" reaction nearly got me. I know better but.......... Thankfully I felt it coming since I had my left hand on her flank.

Those darned hematomas take their good old time to resolve. Good thoughts and energy for quick healing.