Sign in to follow this  
apersonwholoveshorses

Nation Wide Horse Transport

Hi there everyone!

I'm mostly a lurker on the boards but I need some advice. I live in Germnay but my horse is in Delaware being leased by a friend. I am heading to college in Colorado this year and will be shipping him there. Nationwide horse transport is my main choice of shipper but I want to get some reviews or personal expirences from you guys about them. Or if you know of any other companies that you would recommend for shipping a horse across the country, please do share! :notworthy:

The slightly complicating element is that I will not see my horse before he comes to CO. I am having a trusted horsey mentor/friend handle the actual handing him over to the shippers and making sure his health certificate is in line and all of that fun stuff.

Also, how far out before shipment should he be started on a probiotic/ulcer guard?

Any advice or comments are much needed! I'm pretty stressed out about all this. :wacko:

And just a pic of my boy

P1020284.jpg

I have used them twice now. Once to haul 3 horses from NM to NC and then again to bring LC from CO to NC. I LOVE them! Very easy to work with and they took the best care of my babies. I would use them again in a heartbeat!

I used them a few years ago when moving my TB from Denver to Houston area. They did a lovely job, horse didn't travel very well, but he was fine and healthy even though he lost some weight on the journey.

I used them many, many years ago and from what I remember they did an awesome job. I use a private hauler now who I really like. He's always given me great prices. You can check out www.uship.com and post your movement and haulers will come in and bid on your shipment. It's cool because you can check out their ratings by previous users and read all about them. I haven't been on that site in a long time so they've probably made many changes by now. If you do end up using Nationwide, I don't think you will have a problem. Good luck!

Ive never used them, but I have used Hauled Wright. They gave me a very good rate, and despite a 3 day trip, my horse came off the trailer like he was on there a few hours. I started him on ulcergard 4 days before the trim, they gave it to him during the trip, and I kept him on it for 4 days after the trip (because I just bought him and thought he would be stressed with him new environment.) They also kept electrolytes on board incase any horse might need them while hauling. My horse was hauled during the winter, while it was cool outside so he didnt need them.

This company is all about profit and not about horse care. A sponsor for Zuma's Rescue Ranch contracted with nationwide to bring a horse from Maryland to Littleton Colorado. The sponsor was told on the phone that the shipping would take 2 days and the website mentions rest stops ever 5 hours, all seemed reasonable.The sponsor agreed to hire this company to save this horse from an uncertain fate at a auction. The transport company was 1.25 days later than promised on the pick up and 1 day late on the delivery. The pick up time was 1:38 am! This was not what was discussed and if this fact had been known, other arrangements would have been made, once they have the deposit you are at the mercy of the drivers.

The horse arrived a day late per the verbal commitment of arrival time of the company representative. When the horse arrived he was standing in more than 1 foot of manure and wet dirty hay, he was also dehydrated.

When the horse was placed in the round pen, he drank nearly 10 gallons of water, clearly thirsty!

When called out on the situation; one of the drivers commented on Zuma's Rescue Ranch living high on the hog and that he would be investigating. I encouraged him to investigate and see that the multi million dollar facility was donated to rescue horses, the people there were all volunteers. There are people in the world that give back to animals, that place animal welfare above profits.

Please head this warning, well placed reviews about this company can be written by employees, I assure you I am not an employee and I was on the receiving end to poor customer service.

Zuma, I find it interesting that the first post you make is to degrade nationwide. There can be a number of reasons for a truck to be late, when you use a semi expect to deal with DOT rules and regulations.

I've used them, I've talked to people who've used them and I know a number of their drivers whom by the way are horse owners. They recently installed GPS and Video stream of your horse in transport. They are alot better than some of the other companys out there.

I've never dealt with a horse hauling company that has been right on time. You try loading reluctant horses into strange trailers, and see how on time you can be when traveling across country.

As for the manure and such...not so acceptable, but perhaps they were trying to cut corners to make up lost time. Who knows.

i brought a horse over from florida to germany last year, and he got here six weeks later than planned. the third horse on the american side designated for our container's transport papers got screwed up so was denied entry, so we had to wait to find another one destined for amsterdam, and then after the horse got to amsterdam there were airport delays all over the place (world-wide) so he had to wait for other horses to get to the *holding facility* for the trip to his final destination.

if i were a billionaire able to pay for single horse transport then sure, everything would have gone according to schedule, but for us mere mortals this is a serious logistical challenge where everyone has to be patient. international horse transport is NOT as straightforward as just loading a horse on a trailer. the file of paperwork that accompanied him is three inches thick with vet check documentation and other bureaucratic crap out the wazoo. i do NOT want to work in international animal transport.

I used them many, many years ago and from what I remember they did an awesome job. I use a private hauler now who I really like. He's always given me great prices. You can check out www.uship.com and post your movement and haulers will come in and bid on your shipment. It's cool because you can check out their ratings by previous users and read all about them. I haven't been on that site in a long time so they've probably made many changes by now. If you do end up using Nationwide, I don't think you will have a problem. Good luck!

there is a show on tv called Shipping Wars that feature 4 or 5 shippers. through uship.com. one girl specializes in livrstock. it gives you an idea of the shippers pov.

I used to own an equine transport company. We went natiowide, door to door. When using any shipper there are very important questions to ask. Such as how often will they be watered? Do you unload at rest stops? Are you stabling overnight anywhere? Do you have expirience with equine emergencies?

I used to check vitals and for dehyradtion at every stop on all horses on my truck. They were offered water at every stop too. I generally reccomend that you start the probiotic a week before shipping and then continue for about a week afterwards. Electrolytes in the water are great for picky horses who refuse "different" water but they have to be used to the taste/smell of it before shipping. A can of mountain dew in a 5 gallon pail of water works in a pinch but is obviously not has healthy for the animal.

I never comment on specific companies since I was in the business it kind of seems shady to me. As long as the driver keeps in contact with you being a day late is generally acceptable. Most clients prefer to accept their horse as soon as he comes to town whether it's midnight or 5a.m. A good company will ask if this is ok, and the driver will give you a heads up call an hour before delivery or anytime you choose.

There are some REAL bad companies out there. Beware and you cannot ask too many questions. A good shipper is more than happy to answer anything that comes to your mind. Good Luck!

I much like all the previous reviewers on here do not no where to start there were so many issues. The largest in my opinion being the following:

1) Most all info coming from this company speaking to specific prices, charges, turn times, etc. is "verbal" after multiple requests to obtain anything in writing, it only increased the unprofessionalism experienced.

2)Brenda the aforementioned "owner" is hostile, unprofessional, and kindly put a bit out of touch with present day business practices. After refusing to return my calls, email requests to discuss my horses care, pickup/delivery time frames, requests for written documentation, etc. I was verbally threatened at first by her support staff that she would "not be putting my horse on the truck for delivery and rather keeping him at her facility indefinitely." Later told by her that "Because your immature, and if you want to get into a pissing match I will keep your horse, take him to an undisclosed location, and you will never see him again simply because I can." Lied to by customer service stating that my horse had been already delivered in an attempt to collect additional monies, and then lied to by Brenda when I received a call from two different credit card companies for suspicious activity on both my accounts (turns out Nationwide had racked up $3250 worth of fraudulent/unauthorized charges with my credit cards) Brenda simply stated "I don't know what you are talking about that is ludacris you have not paid anything, I don't know what you are talking about." even after I provided details specifics. Then she hung up on me. When I had an attorney contact Brenda, she also hung up on an attorney stating "this matter is handled." After attorney repeatedly calling my horse was finally released into the care of the new barn manager and new owner. Brenda later called me back to tell me " I am going to have the driver go back to the barn and pick up your horse so you will never see him again, he is mine now."

3) Above mentioned credit card fraud.

4) Pick-up/Delivery/Layover times quoted incorrectly by 5-6 days.

5) Drivers had my horse on a truck for over 24 hours at a time with no stops driving straight through. Direct violations of DOT regulations. Horse was delivered with extremely swollen legs and severely dehydrated as a result.

6) Hay provided for horse was not given to horse, each horse is given a mixture of what everyone else puts on truck.

7) Pickup Deliver times fall usually in the middle of the night making it unsafe in some cases for equines to load/unload.

In summary this company is out to take advantage. They attempt to profit and in my experience use whatever means necessary to obtain more funds, acquire your horse, etc. Typically when this is the case with a company an owner can usually help facilitate/arbitrate a resolution, in this case the owner is the problem. She comes across extremely uneducated and uninterested in basic communication or handling any sort of dispute resolution, actually escalating the problem due to her own behavior. Nationwide Horse Transportation does not withhold their ethical/moral duties, are in direct violation of their contracts (based on the behavior above), out of compliance with Federal Department of Transportation guidelines, place the health and well being of the horses at risk both safety and health, and lie/cheat/steal/ and threaten, in the words of their owner "Simply because I can."

I have filed complaints with BBB, FDOT, YELP, and will continue to do so to get the word out, if any other parties have issues I encourage you to do the same.

Since Zuma's hasn't posted since last year when this thread was started and you, kbwetherell have decided to state almost the same thing then I'll ask you,albeit I don't expect you to ever post again. Who would you recommend for transporting a horse or any other farm animal cross country?

AS you said Heidi,

Great googly Moogly!!

Never have used any commercial haulers, so cannot comment on them or their service. I have hauled horses all over the 5 western states, and can tell you, it can be a battle to move them, and keep them healthy and happy.

I am going to be taking a friends horse to Arizona in late January for the Arabian show, and hope that goes as well as last year.

Edited by siseley

I thought I had done all of the research necessary to ensure I selected a good company to transport my new horse home. I read all of the positive comments and feedback from people who had apparently used their service. Unfortunately I had a very different experience and would warn anyone considering using their service to please reconsider.

There was virtually zero communication. The only time someone actually called me was to tell me my horse was going to be picked up the next day. He wasn't, it ended up being 4:30 a.m. the following morning. If it hadn't been for the person at the pickup point giving me a call I wouldn't have known that he had been picked up and was on his way. He was on the truck for 48 very long hours and not only did I not receive any calls to let me know the progress, I didn't receive any responses to my calls or emails. On the delivery end, once again I wouldn't have known he was here if the barn manager, where I am boarding, hadn't let me know that they had called.

The person who unloaded was very rude and obviously in too big of a hurry to do more than hand me the lead rope. They wouldn't have even left his paperwork if my husband hadn't thought to ask for it.

All in all, this was the worst transport experience I have ever had.

I regret not using Equine Express which I had used before. I would have had to wait a few more weeks before they could schedule and I was too excited to wait.

I've had some great experiences with uship. Just be careful to see ratings to make sure you are dealing with someone who has hauled horses before.