Sign in to follow this  
little_mom52

Hind Leg Conformation On My Qh Mare?

First off,i do know how to take correct confo pics but i have no one to do so for me while i hold the mare. But i thought that maybe i could get some critiques on my mares hind leg confo. She is Skips Social Flower, just turned 4 yrs old. This is the best pic i have for her having her legs lined up but its from the side. I just need some ideas as to what everyone thinks about her hock angles. Thanks!

arthurandcallie.jpg

This mare's hind end isn't awful, but it's not ideal either.

From her picture-the yellow line and green dots follow her conformation, the blue line is "ideal."

Untitled-8.jpg

Her main fault is that she's sickle hocked. She is under angulated, which will dispose her to stress on those hocks over time. Next, her hip angle is too closed, leaving her near goose rumped and with a higher tail set. She looks to be hollow in her back from the way the saddle sits and how high her hip bones are above the plane of her backbone. Horses with this hind end conformation tend to hollow out and end up sway backed as they age, unless the horse is kept in proper condition to help aid the ligaments and musculature of the back.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Yes, this is somewhat what i was looking for. I am concerned about her hind legs from the hock down as she seems to be under herself quite a bit. She is going to be a trail horse only.

Edited by little_mom52