Sign in to follow this  
cowgurlup1983

Feeding The Pregnant Mare.

OK guys i need help im at my wits end. I have a mare i traded for bred and she came to me very thin. i've had her since march. she is an appendix quarter horse and when i got her they said she was a hard keeper. i think this is a understatement. anyways her teeth are good and the vet said everything checked out fine. when i got her she was very thin and i have been feeding her since then tring to add weight with out making the foal to big (i hope) She has gained weight since i got her but to me not fast enough. she is getting about 7 pounds of winter wheat and about 7 pounds of alfalfa twice a day plus free grazing here in the ranch. I know its dry here but all of my other horses are doing well on this granted the winter was hard on them and did bring them down about 75 pounds they have since gained it back. Oh yea she is also getting 2 pounds of grain twice a day. what else can i do? she is due end of july beginning of august. I haven't had this problem before. my other mares have been in great condition some times a tad to heavy. what can i give her this late in the game?

thanks

oh yeah is is up to date on her worming. and is gaining very slowly i just wonder if i need to up something to help her gain faster? am i doing the right thing now for her and her foal? thanks again guys

Edited by cowgurlup1983

Beet pulp, rice bran, vegetable oil all will help put weight on. Sometimes, the horses don't take to the beet pulp right away (and always soak it for at least 30 minutes in hot water) so I mix some sweet feed on top to make them more eager to eat it. My old mare never did get a taste for beet pulp but most horses do.

Good luck and I hope you find something that helps! I find free feeding grass hay and supplementing with at least half her diet in alfalfa, plus the grain and beet pulp works wonders!

Of course, being pregnant, you need to make certain there is no fescue in the hay or field.

when anyone is expecting you really need to do your homework. first thing- YOU CAN NOT 'MAKE' THE FOAL TOo BIG!- ive heard this several times on H.C. also 'feeding too good/much gives babies o.c.d." ???!!! im always-wth?! lol. anyway, mother nature is wonderful enough that no matter what you do or feed you have no power over the size of the foal. get some books and start reading. supplements are a must if you want a healthy foal, study after study shows that getting the foal all the nutrition it needs helps it in growing stage and later years. o.c.d. comes from NOT feeding properly, not from feeding too much. back to preggers, any broodmare supps is best right now, i highly recommend D.A.C. 'Broodmare'. you can give some probiotics to your mare. rice bran and beet pulp (like Andi said) is your best friend right now. what kind of 'grain' are you giving her? hopefully not sweet feed. s. feed has too much carbs./starch, and can cause alot of problems. alot of o.c.d. problems have been linked to sweet feed- probably why so many people think its from over feeding. do you have a good schedule with your vet? proper timing of vac.s are also important. if this is your first foal you might feel alittle over whelmed, and by the way it costs a LOT of money, so be prepared. is your mare by herself? she should not be with other non-mommy mares or geldings. and she needs that food infront of her 24-7. im going to stop now before this turns into a book!

oh yeah, and NO veggie oil, it is way too high in omega 6, which causes inflamation.

Edited by fastfilly79

Thanks guys, i will look in to some beet pulp and rice bran. i want to add that this is not the first mare i have had that is bred. My mare Eli foaled this year in april and had a beautiful stud colt. Nor is it my first thin horse. but it is my first thin bred mare. so i wanted to see if i have to do something special or not feed things. I know no fescue.

For a hard keeper, 4 pounds of grain isn't a lot. Are you feeding a complete mare and foal feed? I would lean more towards a good grass hay infront of her 24/7. She's in her last leaps of getting her foal to grow the last 3-4 months there is the most growth in the foal. She will need even more once she's lactating.

My mare that gave birth this year was at 8 lbs a day of Ultium Growth. Now after birth and she's lactating she's up to about 12 lbs a day. Grass hay and pasture. While you don't need an expensive mare and foal feed like Ultium Growth, you want something geared towards broodmare and foal because of the lysine and other things the mare needs.

We feed a feed that is specificially for prego mares. We also feed for our easy keepers about 1 pound a day for the first 9 months. The last 3 we keep uping the grain. Each mare is different. We don't want anyone fat but we don't want them skinny either.

also if you PM Miss Mother Nature she might be able to help you.She had a mare given to her preggo and very thin a few years ago. She really came around. She would be able to give you some good advice.

I would say that four pounds of grain isn't very much for any horse. I'd be feeding at least six pounds of a good mixed feed and I'd add clovite and calf manna to the feed. Plus I'd break-up a good grass hay into a pile and top it off with a few broken-up flakes of 12% alfalfa. In breaking-up the hay it allows the horse to consume it faster with less waste. Id keep a good eye on the mares manure to make sure she isn't getting to much alfalfa or grain and she is utilizing as much as possible at the same time. If you start seeing alot of grain being "passed" and to "loose" of a manure I'd adjust the feeding to the amount that isn't any danger to the mare or a waste of feed.

yes there are things to learn this is why i am asking. I have read up on bred mares and what to expect and what to feed. I have just never had a thin mare that was pregnant before this is why i am asking. I have rehabbed thin horses. I am doing research on the internet to. I am slowly adjusting her feed. The reason i had her on that amount of grain is because she is exremely hot and has ran threw the fence 3 times now. she is fine got a few scratches but the fence is hot wire. I have her on omelene 300 and like i said winter wheat, and alfalfa and free grazing in the pasture. I cant find good grass hay here. on the amount of grain i was feeding her shes mellowed out a lot but i will up her grain and see if she deosnt get to hot. When on full grain shes hard to handle ansy, pushy and just doesnt know what to do with herself. i will also start slowly adding some calf manna in and see how she does. i will slowly add more hay and keep watching her manure. Like i said she is gaining but i guess in my eyes not fast enough.

If she is getting hot on Omolene 300 it's probably due to it being a sweet feed. The added molassas is doing no good for her. are you able to get brands of feeds? Buckeye Grow N Win is a great one, pelleted. If you aren't Purina also suggests Strategy G/X horse feed as a broodmare feed. It is pelleted. Might be something to look into.

See thats my problem really good feeds are hard to find up here. And she gets hot on everything. I had her on stratagy yeah didnt work just as hot but i will look into other pelleted feed i can get a hold of down here and see what they have in them. unfortunatly around here the feed stored dont carry special feeds have to drive at least 2 hours one way for it.

thats why i love the D.A.C. supps. because you dont have to feed ssoo much grain. its interesting shes so ansy at this stage of pregnancy. im also not a fan of wheat, but i do understand your delima of not being able to find good grass hay, that can be rough. thats the good thing too about beat pulp- it doesnt make horses hot and it fills them up and its cheap!

Free choice, good quality hay. A good ration balancer, beet pulp, and a "fat" like rice bran, gain supplement, or oil.