Sign in to follow this  
little_mom52

Critique My Pony!

I know this isnt a series of front, back, and side shots, but what do you all think about this pony i bought at a local auction? Hes part appy, that i do know cause he has a spotted lower lip. Hes 14.1 hands, and hes 12 yrs old. I thought he looks like hes crossed with morgan.

100_1596.jpg

I'm not great at critiques, but one thing I noticed is that he's a little u-necked. It may just be his muscling but he looks a lot thicker in the underside of his neck than his topline.

Overall, he's a very cute pony. I like how stout he is.

Super cute! He's a stout build, and I love that color.

The thing that jumps out to me is his shoulder angle - it looks very upright. I'd suspect that he'll have a rough, choppy trot. But that's not uncommon in ponies.

I think he's adorable :)

He looks like he's got a bit of a cresty neck - and he's by no means "thin" - so you may need to watch him on lush pasture and talk with your vet/farrier to avoid any laminitis issues.

I can't really see his knees in the photo and the way he's standing makes it tough to judge angles, but it looks like his shoulder and pasterns match up fairly well - I think the angle, the thick neck and the lighting make the shoulder angle look steeper than it is in reality, but it is definitely steeper than the 45 degree ideal. He does look like he's probably high-headed, and I wonder if he is broke to drive? He does look like a Morgan cross (maybe with Welsh or Hackney? He looks like several Amish ponies I've seen, only plumper :)

He's nicely balanced, built like he could carry an adult with no problem, and with that back end, he looks like he'd be a fun gaming pony.

I'm not great at critiques, but one thing I noticed is that he's a little u-necked. It may just be his muscling but he looks a lot thicker in the underside of his neck than his topline.

not quite ewe necked IMHO. it looks like both top and bottom bulge out. maybe he's POA/morgan?

That is a welsh pony by the looks of it. I have had several horses come through that had NO appy in them and have spotting on the lips. Heck, my saddlebred/qh has a little spotting on the lip. No appy in him at all. :happy0203:

Cute looking pony but i'd watch his diet and weight. :smileywavey: