Sign in to follow this  
PinkTractor

Selling A Horse, Question...

This is a continuation from my "Pricing a horse" thread. I decided to put my horse up on CL and have actually have got some interest. I am waiting to hear back from one person to make sure it wasn't a spammer.

However, my mare hasn't been rode since fall. I mentioned that in my ad and mentioned it again when I returned the Email. But, I went to put a bit in her mouth and she didn't take it easily. I have noticed she is starting to drop food - therefore I called to get some pricing on a float. I wouldn't be able to do it for about two weeks (Grandfather has surgery next week).

Should I allow the people to come look at her - and just not ride since I do feel her teeth are an issue? Opinions?!

Thank you!

Edited by PinkTractor

Personally, I would pull the ad until the teeth are done. If the horse is supposed to be trained and ridable, and I was only allowed to look at it and not ride, I would run fast and far from it. It is not like the only criteria for a horse is looks.

Like I said, I haven't rode her since the fall. This could not affect her at all and she could be testing me because she hasn't been made to have a bit in. That's why I am unsure. I have listed than an experienced rider is a must - again, so if she is just full of spunk from not being worked with they could understand.

I really am not sure. Either way she'll (along with the other two) will be getting their teeth done within' the next couple weeks.

I would just tell them that. That you don't know if the horse has some sharp teeth hurting it or if it's being a stinker because it hasn't been ridden. Anyone that knows anything about horses will understand. ...and if the horse needs an experienced rider and that's who's coming to look at it, they should understand.

I would just tell them that. That you don't know if the horse has some sharp teeth hurting it or if it's being a stinker because it hasn't been ridden. Anyone that knows anything about horses will understand. ...and if the horse needs an experienced rider and that's who's coming to look at it, they should understand.

This is what my Grandmother told me to do, too. She said since I have extensively wrote in my ad that the mare hasn't been rode, needs an experienced rider, needs someone who doesn't get scared, etc. that any "experienced" rider would (or like you said should) understand.

thank you.

And welcome them back to see her again after her teeth are done if she is still available.

How does she act under saddle when you ask her to flex and put pressure on the bit? That reaction ought to give you a pretty good idea of whether it is attitude or teeth. One of mine needs his teeth done, so I've been riding him in a sidepull. It's a night and day difference.

I haven't rode her since September. So I couldn't honestly tell you how she is reacting now. In September she had a major attitude and it startled me (In the show arena, we were going along fine, asked for a trot, something caught her attention and wabam she blew up), being the reason why she is for sale and I wont ride her.

I think it's great that you're being honest about this to potential buyers. There's so many sellers out there that try and hide things like this. :notworthy:

I would also pull the ad and get her teeth done then place the ad again. Some folks on CL want to buy and be done with it, that way you don't have a reason for people to try to knock your price down.

I also say I think it is great you are being upfront about everything, but if I were buying I too would want the teeth floated first so that she could be ridden and I would know whether it was teeth or just a refresher course she needed.

JMO, Good luck with selling her though.

I explained the situation to the lady that was Emailing me. She said she understands as she has a three year old currently doing the same thing - she is still interested in coming out to look!

I told her the teeth are still getting done (or if she purchases her, I'll take it off of the price).

I'm going to keep the ad up, because it was very easy to explain the situation and the person to understand. I'll get them done in the next week or two if she doesn't sell.

Oh, and the best part - this person wants her for a hunt seat horse - what she excels in. So that makes me feel a lot better, too.

We'll see!