Sign in to follow this  
trailhoss2

Looking To Re-Home A Basset Hound

This is Lil' Bit. He needs a new loving home. He is a very sweet boy who LOVES people and attention. He gets along great with other dogs and with cats. He's been around horses and does well around them also. Lil' Bit came here about 3 1/2 months ago when my daughter brought him home to keep him from going to the pound. He is full blood Basset. he is the son of my daughter's ex's Basset Hound who he bred to his neighbor's female and got this pup back. (then decided he didn't want him). He is pure bred but I don't have any registration papers. He's not show quality or anything and will need to be nuetered. I just have not done that yet since I am not planning on keeping him I don't want to spend the money to have it done. He has all his vaccinations except for his Rabies vac which he was scheduled to get 2 weeks ago when the vet was here doing coggins on the horses but lil' Bit was over visiting the neighbors so he did not get his vaccine. Which brings me to the reason I am looking for a new home for him... He likes to leave the property and go visit with the neighbor dogs. He doesn't go all the time, not even every day but he will go. he always comes home but I can not have him out roaming the country.

If you think you would be interested in giving Lil Bit a home, please contact me. I will have questions for you as I am not just going to giuve this dog to someone without knowing what kind of a home he's going to.

Here's a picture...

LilBit.jpg

Aww. I wish I was closer. I would take him. :(

Is there a basset rescue in your area? BF's folks foster for basset rescue here. They find great homes for the dogs.

There's a member here on HC that I'm also friends with on FB and she belongs to a Basset rescue group in Central/northern Illinois. She said she was going to ask around.

I've had to tie him up and pen him up because he's causing my collie to want to roam with him. As long as he's confined the collie won;t leave. However if I confine the collie , the basset still roams... which proves who the culprit is! :happy0203:

He is cute. I had always wanted a basset. But I have 2 large dogs and a small one. Hubby MIGHT kill me over that.. Sorry.. I would have to agree with the basset rescue. They are good at finding dogs good homes! Good luck!

I know you don't want to spend the money, but neutering would more than likely solve the problem.

If anyone is traveling from Midwest to SC or there abouts, we would be willing to take him. We love Bassets. We lost Holly our last basset to old age. Bennie our current is a half basset/half beagle. We tell people he is a bagle. LOL

I know you don't want to spend the money, but neutering would more than likely solve the problem.

I would definately spend the money to fix him if i thought it would fix the problem. However, my vet says he thinks he was too young for "that" to be the reason he's out and about. He's just exploring... and well he found the neighbor's houses.

The problem I'm having now, is he is teaching my collie to leave and I can't have that. The collie is getting neutered on the 6th of July.

If anyone is traveling from Midwest to SC or there abouts, we would be willing to take him. We love Bassets. We lost Holly our last basset to old age. Bennie our current is a half basset/half beagle. We tell people he is a bagle. LOL

I wish I knew someone going that direction. My husband will be going to Wyoming next month so anyone along that path , he could deliver to.

Bassets are hounds and they follow their nose. Neutering may help but it will not stop him from taking a "walkabout"

Bassets are hounds and they follow their nose. Neutering may help but it will not stop him from taking a "walkabout"

Exactly! The neighbor's dogs are spayed/neutered anyway, so he's not going over for that. Lil Bit was just 12-14 weeks old when he came here. He started exploring the woods, the pond, the fields, then would go farther and farther each time. He needs a home with a fenced yard or an inside home. He stays home as long as we're outside or if we're in and out regularly. It's when we leave him alone for a period of time that he decides to go exploring.